Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. When I look at that dash, I'm 14 years old again. That was my 1st car. I hope you don't end up in paint jail. :)

2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I wouldn't call "all wiring completed" a small update.:)
    I have just started rewiring my newly acquired '48 Chevy and right now the old wiring is winning.
    I can't wait to see this car when finished.

Stogy, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have to agree Dan,... I found the whole process quite enjoyable... albeit..slow.
    Yes...We are approaching the finish line.... Just like a Tortoise.
    ha ha

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slow and steady wins the race!:)

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well, the battle continues.....

.....about 3 weeks ago... I was all set to hit the exhaust shop then to the bodyshop.....
    And of course.. a massive hiccup..... no.. a mule kick right in the B***s.
    I notice a slight amount of coolant leaking just under the thermostat housing... not a drip... just a wetness.....I figured it just needed a 1/8 turn of tightening and paid no attention.A very good Ford Pal dropped by to double check my wiring and other progress....(I believe in have a fresh set of eyes roll over prior work... just to make sure)
    ....Mentioned the coolant"wetness" and he said.. I should use a flat water instead of a lock washer around the thermostat housing.... because a split washer tends to seep and leak.
    Ok... no problem.... I put it on the "to do" list... which never seems to decline.

Drained the coolant, removed the housing,...cleaned,new gasket and applied the "Right Stuff" RTV(I love that product)
    Let it cure for 24hours(which I do with anything)
    Next day... fill the system with coolant and..... I have a massive leak coming from the housing and intake underside.
    Great.. now what.....?
    Drain the coolant again(of what left) Slowly und to 2 fasteners,.. and as I remove the top bolt ...I feel a "pop"... a big chunk of my NOS intake snaps off.

Well.... now what?
    I have 3 options..... buy a new intake,repair the unit or find a crappy boring 4 barrel unit.
    You must understand this intake has NEVER been on a car.It was a service replacement unit and date coded.

To say I was heartbroken was a understatement.
    Back to my options.....I looked up and searched what the cost of buying a new intake was..... 900 USD - 2000 USD..... and combine that with present exchange and shipping.... I was looking anywhere from 1500-2500 bucks ...And with no reassurances a new intake would not be square..shaved ,... already welded upon,...etc.etc.Too big of a risk.
    I need to repair what I have..... so,...I have another acquaintance .. who is an EXTREMELY talented welder... who after I presented the problem...said he could fix it.

So.... I then removed the fuel system.. and all linkage,etc.etc, removed the upper valve train. the shafts and such.... pulled the intake very very gently.

After doing some research..... I found that this was a very common occurrence with these factory intakes....didn't make me feel better.
    So.. off it went...... he told me he was so busy and it would be a month.....
    ugh.

Wait wait wait.

Then..I got the call and I was down at his shop and got it.
    Absolutely...PERFECT.
    I wasted no time this weekend with the help of my friend Terry and got it all back together.....

NOW..... I am going to the exhaust shop.

So.. thats my sad story.... hahahah

And thanks guys for the kind words in the previous posts..... The war continues and we will persevere.

64005096286__B8FB5444-4D79-44A9-AA12-FB282F2D8CB4.JPG DB25C88D-7C34-4FE6-98D2-5E9D4F4C6E26.JPG IMG_6299.JPG

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

So thankful it had a happy ending.:)

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes Dan,..... and it was better to happen in the shop than some 500 mile tour....(oh god!)
    We studded it and I feel confident......
    Not sure how or when it got Helicoiled.... or by who... but we have resolved the issue.

Blue One, Hamtown Al, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  8. Super nice fix.... What happened? Well, it either wasn't as 'NOS' as thought, or may had been damaged during manufacturing/installation and discarded by Ford. Somebody pulled it off the scrap pile and took it home for repair. Wouldn't be the first time a 'second' has showed up...

Could this have been a 390 tri-power intake? Those weren't installed at the factory, maybe the dealer mechanic spotted (or caused) the problem and the intake was replaced rather than repaired for the customer.

bchctybob, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Really clean repair, would have never noticed it. Did they have factory threaded inserts in them? Seems odd that hole would have been repaired having never been on a car. Either way though, looks good now.

Blue One, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was curious about the Helicoil as well. That repair is freaking fantastic! Can't even detect in any way it isn't original...

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks guys...Grant Schwartz did the repair. Uber talented local and I am very thankful for his work.
    I have know idea to any of the above questions... but i can tell you it has never been on an engine.. no marks or gasket stains ,.. no coolant disintegration around those ports or burns on the blocked off heat crossover areas.....whatsoever.... Super clean as far as I can see internally and the bottom splash pan looks brand new. Took that off too to inspect and nothing but ever so slight condensation rust.... 2 tiny spots.
    ....... strange indeed.. but.. we are a go.....

12. Great save! Like you said, lucky to happen at home, in the build-up stage, rather than on the road , somewhere.
    Is Grant in your neck of the woods now? Wasn't he in Bloomingdale a while back?

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes,... Grant was in Bloomingdale... but now has a shop in Elmira.Very talented guy.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well. last night---Success!
    Went over the entire systems.. checking for any potential leaks.. after a few hours .. with the help of my friend Terry Redmond(Ford Tech guy)
    we fired the car and it ran perfectly.
    Oil pressure was at 65psi cold,. and then at 40-45 Hot.... engine is very responsive.... so much so Terry just smiled and said"She sure is snappy".... he is a man who says very little.
    ....all electrical is perfect,system was charging and all systems are functioning.I have fired the engine only very briefly, but never for more than a 30 second interval....
    The FE is new and tight... not in a bad way... it just needs some hours on it.Tuned a wee bit but that will come a little later after the exhaust is done(which is the next move)
    Set the idle around 800-900 rpm.... the cam gets too choppy and rough under that... again... the car needs to be fine tuned in the future.
    Could not yard drive it.. it was too late and dark.... man.. with no exhaust... that thing is L O U D ! I don't think my neighbours would have appreciated me rolling down our road last night.
    Heat rose to 180 and stayed... after the first fire up(15 minutes of run time) did it again for 20 minutes and the heat was still at 180.

So.. it was a very happy evening.

15. Hey Jeff
    If your still entertaining a 3 speed with overdrive , I have a 1960- 64 transmission and original cable that may be on the market soon . Brantford On 20210523_155619.jpg

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. The first fire up is really fun if you got all your ducks in a row. I had one mis-wire in my tail lights otherwise it has been going well... except I used a big solder sleeve at my HL switch and that came undone maybe a week into driving the car.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

No such thing my Canadian Fabio.

20. Your going to love that tri power ,best of luck keeping your foot out of the pedal ,I cant !!!

bchctybob, Stogy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just a heads up for 57-58 folks and tall tires.....
    My car runs a 235-75R at the moment in the rear.... love the look due to the height of the tire..29 inches tall(or more) with a 9 inch footprint.... problem is.... when running a stock 57 style shock.. the rear doesn't drop far enough to remove the rears without deflating the rear tires first.
    Just a pain..... You need to jack the car from side to side and tilt it to get the space you need.I run a 15 inch 55-56 Ford rim now and 57-64 Fords came with a 14 inch rim.... the low,long wide look.
    Anyhow... there was discussion on the 57forever message board about 56 Ford shocks and the added length.
    I picked up a set(cheap, $35 bucks each!) and installed.... the rear completely falls down giving access to remove the rears easily. Don't worry my traditional friends. I have a full set of Bias Plys to install on the the 57 after I IMG_6571.jpg IMG_6572.jpg IMG_6574.jpg IMG_6577.jpg get Paint.
    Maybe someone else out there will run into this problem and its a simple fix.

bobss396, enloe, Hamtown Al and 13 others like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So... I couldn't resist..... I had to road test.
    No plates,no glass,no exhaust...... but lots of bugs.

Hopefully next week I will be at the exhaust shop.

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

No plates, No glass, No exhaust...
    No problem.

Great job

Stogy, Jeff Norwell, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  25. Your a true rebel Jeff !!!

26. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

We don't need no plates, glass or exhaust.....notice your smile was "closed lip" vice ear to ear wide open?

Well done sir!

27. I had one of those 3 deuce setups back in the mid 70's. I'm surprised at what happened to yours. Mine was used and I never had the housing off. I'm glad to see you're back on the road to "paint jail". :)

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Bill

Yea... it was pretty visceral ..... It was hard to contain a grin... but insects were bombarding me... (thank god I wear glasses)Pretty hard to watch any gauges or Tach... but I did manage to keep an eye open to the oil pressure......Pounded at 55 constant.

I plan to get the exhaust done this week, but I got a heavy work week coming.. but we will see... then off to Paint Prison....

bchctybob, Squablow, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And thanks to all for following along this goofy thread.... and to all my American pals.....HAPPY 4TH!

bchctybob, Moriarity, Gotgas and 9 others like this.