Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 gmc 100 truck building in Ga

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dawai, May 16, 2011.

1. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Good to see you're health is back and you're making progress on your build!

Double up on the life insurance and fill that gas tank with water before coming near that bomb with a torch.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I've weighed the rusty gas tank versus a new one. Coating the inside will cost about $85 with the Kreem sealant. I may purchase one from Summit Racing. Hang the holy one up under a rafter. (too good to throw away)

Tax time, Where has all the money went last year.. somewhere around $7500 in this toy

1957 GMC parts list of items purchased.
    Race engine design, block work, Badger pistons
    Scat rods & install
    corvette 2.02 valve heads (Swap)
    Corvette Snowflake intake (swap)
    Stainless Headers, (ebay)
    Flowmaster mufflers 2 1/2” left in, center out (Northern Auto)
    O2 exhaust Stainless sensor bungs (ebay)
    Goodmark Cab corners inner & outers (Summit racing)
    Flat 18ga Sheet for metal floorboards (Fisher steel)
    59 Caddy tail lights x 4 (speedway)
    Mustang T-5 World class transmission (swap)
    Windshield & gasket (local glass shop, CHINESE glass)
    Side glass (ebay)
    autoloc electric window kit (autoloc)
    Welting
    Wilwood Clutch Master cylinder (speedwaymotors)
    Chevy Clutch slave cylinder (Local auto parts)
    adapter Banjo Bolt for slave cylinder (ebay)
    Heim end Clutch fork (speedway motors)
    Herculiner bedliner (Oreillys)
    Paint (cheap primer and House of Kolor)
    Class 3 Trailer hitch (local scrapper)
    Goodyear Tires P205/15
    Used Steel Rims (local scrapper)
    Black Rustoleum spray paint, rims, frame, underside
    Chrome acorn lug nuts (ebay lugnutking)
    Sony Cd player-Radio (ebay)
    Kenwood Speakers (ebay)
    Alarm
    Auto meter Gauges, voltmeter, gas gauge (summit racing)
    Steering wheel adapter (speedway motors)
    Headlights, H3 lens (Ebay)
    H3 bulbs (Oreillys)
    1974 GMC truck, scrap for frame clip/ 12 bolt rear axle/wiring harness
    Aluminum Radiator (Speedway motors)
    Steering universal joint (speedway motors)
    Driveshaft (local salvage yard)
    Leather steering wheel (swap)
    Steering wheel adapter (speedway motors)
    Power steering hose
    K&N air cleaner (swap)
    Optima battery (local auto parts)
    Demon Carburetor (swap)
    HEI distributor (local auto parts)
    Plug Wires (summit racing)
    (not installed on this ride yet)
    Megasquirt3 ECU (DIYautotune)
    PLX Oxygen sensor-transmitter-gauge
    1991 camaro Tuned port intake-parts (Atlanta rod shop)

3. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Used a electricians knockout to punch the hole in the firewall for the wilwood MCylinder. Gotta make a rod to extend the shaft out to the new swing pivot (I've not welded in yet). Then I can put the brake hose on it to carry down to the 91 chevy slave cylinder.

These are the floorboards I made while under the symptoms of Flu. Not mig welded in yet, edges not tipped over, old rotten four coats of paint metal not cleaned up yet. Plasma cutting out the old sign metal was fun, that crap kept popping all over me.

Butchered the 91 camaro harness, cut the pollution junk out.. leaves about twenty or so wires going up to the engine for the megasquirt ecu to control.
    I bought computer plugs, terminal strips, fuse panels to wire it all up.. then found a really neat termination board that replaces most of that.. has a terminal strip right on it.
    The 8lbs of wire in the box is not needed to run a engine, only operate all the pollution junk.

The squirrels are challenging me for the shop, I've not been in it regular like and they think they own the place.

Attached Files:

4. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

no kreem!!!! use Red-Kote, last quarts I got were 20$ from oreily's I have some VL tanks I'd like to get rid of the crap/kreem that is partially undone.

5. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Hi TT..

Yeah when any of it comes loose, it sucks.. the "etch" is real important, I've been lucky and never had a tank fail that had kreem in it. I have had to drill out the petcock hole. Nothing like a crotch full of gasoline to piss off a old biker.

I'm debating, a "57 truck replacement" tank made in the Moose land, or a possible Taiwan one from the local supplier. (summit racing) The Canadian one is near $50 cheaper. I'm still miffed about the Chinese windshield. I honestly thought I'd break it putting it in thou.

I think.. the methanol additives in gas mixes with water and the PH goes all funny, creates white "crap" in carburetors and anything it dries in. I had to clean out a carburetor just the other day with a welding tip cleaner.
    I've been tempted to add the 2stroke oil-fuel extender to the Hotrod and Harleys tank especially here in the cold months when it does not get all burned out every week. It raises the octane too.

6. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Bought a canadian gas tank off ebay, $170, Wiped with thinner and painted with rustoleum black, bought some new cooper tires locally from a tire shop that "rescued me and my harley" a few years ago. (I show gratitude by spending money there) Mounted on painted black steel rims, chrome acorn lug nuts from "lugnutking" off ebay.

I've been playing with the megasquirt ecu in the basement. It's a lot simpler than I thought. Works right out of the box. Hooked to the 91 TPI, HEI small distributor, seperate coil, using Bank injectors 1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8. Tied a LED tail light to bank 2 to test (read that play).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXszkRFMxb0&feature=youtu.be
    Kinda dark, but you get the idea? done on my airbrush table in the basement, cool.. you can see me shaking..

If it is as reliable as it is simple I will never buy another carburetor. We'll see. I can break a anvil.

7. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Past couple of days, put front end back together to figure radiator mount and front end mount on 74GMC clip. Passenger frame horn is still bent down a tad.

Joe came and ground all around the new floor pans. We built the new top shroud for the aluminum radiator. We got the gas tank installed.

Today I started cleaning up the 4 1/2" sch 40 pipe for the front end bracing. Got it tacked in pretty good on the drivers side and tacked on the passenger side. Looks pretty good and will hide behind bumper.

I'll probably have to cut out the factory brace there behind the tube, the proportioning valve is on it, it'll need a new mount. THE clip is higher than the old 57 frame was (dropped it a couple of inches), the 57 style radiator is too tall and hits the hood. SO I have to sink it in between the frame rails there where that cross brace is. I want a 2x2 out from the center of the frame crossmember (where the aframes are) out under the 4 1/2" no tube in my steel stock so I get to wait till Monday.

Got the Camaro steering wheel stuck on to steer, seems mighty small. Autometer gauges are in the dash panels, awaiting the harness to be put in.

Attached Files:

8. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Still got eyeball problems, after two weeks ago getting a sliver removed. It was in my eyelashes and got in the eye inside the house on the couch.

Got the aluminum radiator hanging on a piece of home made angle between the cut down supports, the bottom is extended down where the 74 gmc cross member was. I notched, then bent a support around the top radiator hose, need to cut out for the fill cap. The brake proportional valve is hanging by the lines.

Northern auto parts has a discount flier today -10%. I'm gonna set the heads off that 1965 327 and check for rust, re mike the internals, and order a kit. It being a 250-300hp engine will suck the TPI at the right flow rate without getting crazy priced on upgrades for that.

The carb probably will stay on the 57, the EFI-327 go on the t-bucket. who knows the way I've been backing up on this gmc project it might all be apart in the floor, again. At least the bolt holes are starting to be in the right places to assemble.

It ain't like I got a boss, or someone to even "herd" me in the right direction all the time. I sure don't like the junky (Z71) I am having to drive when too nasty to get the bike out.. NO fun.

9. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

She got Flowmaster mufflers & stainless collectors welded onto the "beer distillery" 2 1/2" stainless tubing.. for some reason, the tubing is slightly larger than exhaust tube. It butted up flush to the mufflers and slid over the collectors.

I tig tacked them. My glasses are supposed to be here today to correct my vision.. so.. I ended up mig welding them with stainless wire. Will need to cut the "lumps off" and figure a cross over tube after I mount them. (free horsepower)

That trailer hitch? it was "fabricated" for the shop truck, works for this 57, I am going to make "two" holes, one to retract it so I don't bump my shins and one to pull with, it is retracted now. (yeah, real rods don't pull trailers) This "TOY" is all truck underneath, 12 bolt rear and 1/2 ton gmc front clip.

I really dislike that new-2-me shop truck. (boring)

Attached Files:

10. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

The Std bore 65 327 from the corner, hidden away for a few years now.

I had a few thousandths clearances too much, spec, 327 small journal +.002 too much, +.0015 just right, I found a flat spot on the crank on 3-4 throw. Tried to fix it here, had to send it out to be turned -.010, not sure why he turned the mains they were spot on. BUT, he is one of the best machinists in the area, and I got a $100 caliper, not a good one like he has.

In the "soup" consisting of arm & Hammer washing powder (1tsp per gallon), tied to a hobart stickmate dc welder @ 50 amps, heads are already done, paint sheets off after about 24 hours. Dry them up and shoot paint. I'll be replacing them valve springs.. since they are "old" and probably stress cracked from sitting with a open valve for 30+ years while the truck sat.

Camshaft turned out to be a mechanical "M" cam from a 5 ton truck, I posted in classifieds it in case some old "nostalgic" person likes to adjust lifters. *something about a ticking valve that just drives me nuts. I ordered a summit-grind 288/298 Duration 444/466 lift cam for $49. Delphi lifters that look like sealed power.

This is the spare engine, or the engine for the 23T project. I've not decided yet. Set up to be TPI, 250-300 or so HP. I've gotten 25mpg with a 327 small journal, never have with a 350 or larger journal motor. The one in the GMC currently just sucks out loud in MPG. Of course when you crack the throttle you really don't care much.

Attached Files:

11. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Redoing the heads for the 327 spare engine and had to make a tool to press the valves, while cleaning the rods I noticed one piston and rod had been "lightened" and did not match the other 7.. I was very relieved when my buddy had a spare #8 rod with matching piston. I guess they dropped a valve?? no clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYPoPUKsYD4 The rig I made to depress the valve springs on "old chevy smallblocks." WIll not work for other engines, so I failed to think that out. It's now PC'ed blue.. I didn't have any chevy orange in the shop.

I made the clutch pedal up from a Ford F-250 pedal, cut down welded to a 1" bar centerdrilled to match the cut down chevy brake pedal.

Made the "pusher bar" to go between the Wilwood MC for the clutch and the heim rod end on the clutch pedal. Once it all lined up I powdercoated the pedals black in the modified kitchen oven.
    (another bite done).

Attached Files:

12. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Pulled the bellhousing, swapped out the "blackened" used dump truck 11" disc for a replacement. Replaced the clutch fork for a speedway heim rod end one, bought a Speedway "pull type" slave cylinder. (single post mount, in behind fork instead of up in the headers)

Driveshaft was out of tailshaft about two inches, found a longer one in the pile in the corner. Need to swap universals thou, cups long gone.

She is getting closer to backing out and turning it around. I want to do some welding around the tube on the front end. (front fenders have to come off again) I'm putting a 2x2 receiver on the front. (recovery *winch or drag-car push bar.)

Going to tig weld a oxygen sensor in the collector, had to order a stainless bung. Right now that'll be checking the fuel mix from the demon carb.

I'm going to have to build-rebuild a topside creeper. Old back injuries and stubborn nature. Why I did a flip front end on the 48F1 I had.

13. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great looking truck, keep it up!

14. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Pre paint pic of the Speedway pull slave cylinder mount, much easier than trying to mount that push chevy one in front of the fork, against the headers.
    Mounted on the brake cylinder-pedal mount there on the frame, came out 4" from the plate to the slave bolt center. Aligned with bolt holes.

A front disc brake hose off a 70s FLH would work between the MC and the slave. I thought I had one.

Attached Files:

15. 1959apache

1959apache

16. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Hi..

Not today, (not been lazy thou) I've been learning to brew beer.. the pollen coming off something here is so wicked I can spend a hour or so in the shop in the mornings. I break out in red spots, itch all over, then have to retreat to filtered air. My shop is a wreck, all the one hour days. The poor old 57 has a dust film on it that looks years old.

Constructing a "keezer" to hold my hobby-beer in. Going to flame it to match the Bike and eventually the 57GMC.. (more practice panels on the freezer) Made a mirror stainless top for it today. Beer faucets are on the UPS truck to be delivered today.

Attached Files:

17. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Yeah, been a little lazy, had some horrible allergies.

I bought a AN4 braided hose to go between the Wilwood clutch MC and the Speedway "pull" slave cylinder.. cost me less than $20.. shipping was almost half that.

It'll be here tomorrow, I can install a throttle cable, crank it, back it out and turn it around for the completion welding on the front frame section there. Bumper mounts for the original bumper over the big tube reinforcement I got stuck in.

I still have more to do, no interior, no hinges, or hinge pocket rebuild yet.. or even the bottoms on the doors..

18. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

We haven't seen any updates in a while.

Hope everything is okay

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Health, up and down but I'm still kicking here, been working on some other things including the house.

Took the "sickly shop truck" to the landfill, down a old deserted road, I sure miss driving my 400hp "fun" engine now sitting in this GMC.. so.. I got the "want" again to complete it. She has a layer of dust and dirt on it.

20. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Good to hear that you're OK.

Looking forward to you're updates

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Still kicking this project (can) down the road, now I have to redo my roof on my house. THE insurance man tells me this 57 is not insured under my building-garage insurance.

He wants me to take out a comprehensive policy on the 57 for money invested. Right now, she is covered in "fabrication" room dirt, grime, grit.. Don't look like much.

Next task is to build a x brace for the dash to firewall. I've gotten the tig torch out twice, the phone, other things interrupting.

22. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Glad you are healthy!

Get back after that truck and get it ready to drive soon.

23. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

WHOO HOOO.. I found all the front end chrome, dusty, dirty, had a mouse bed in one of the turn signal units. Still ciphering on the headlight buckets.

Got it stuck onto the truck, the front bumper, I welded brackets to bolt it to the large diameter tube that reinforces the front frame clip.

I have moved that bumper four times and it is still crooked. I slotted the mounts to allow for jiggle.

I bolted the bed back down, need to bolt on the steps, fenders are all just finger tight, so if I crank it with the open headers they'll fall off like a 3 stooges comedy... so.. Need a extra set of hands to hold the underside.
    I bet it is going to be the wife.

JC TAYLOR through farmers insurance gave me a 8k replacment quote for $90 a year. Is that realistic for replacement, or am I living in the 70s??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  24. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Still got fabrication gunk (dust and grime) all over it, the chrome put back on them "ruined" front fenders to just see if I can find all of it.

THE bumper stanchions? bent all to heck underneath, and a flat panel bolts to them between.

Buying insurance today. Buddy is buying the "shop truck" and THIS is the planned Daily driver replacement.

Still gotta hang them mufflers underneath, do wiring, rig in them headlight buckets. One is missing the retainer ring.

Attached Files:

25. 1959apache

1959apache

hey great to see it up and rolling again! looks good!

26. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

27. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Welcome to Gawgia.. found this morning. Over two feet. I got bit by a copperhead about twenty feet from here, a dry bite.

Am "blind" trying to weld in the floor panels I made. Going to house the fuses-electronics in the other floor panel. (fuses & relays for now)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  28. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Today, MY wife and I impact wrenched the rear fenders onto the truck, most the nuts had vibrated out from just a orbital sander vibration. If she had fired up they'd fell off like the 3 stooges..

Mig welded extension mufflers behind the flowmasters, put muffler hangers off the front of the truck bed ribs. (I am dying to hear that old engine talk through them)

Added 2 1/2 quarts transmission fluid into the Mustang WC T5.

Shot (4) more cans rustoleum black underneath the truck, blowed my nose and black funk came out. I had to shower with the go-jo from all the rust raining down.

NEED-TO: throttle linkage, some minor wiring to crank from inside the truck, still need to brace the floor to dash for the clutch-Brakes, it flexes currently. Change oil, new filter, add water-antifreeze.

It still ain't too pretty, I need front fenders, fix the door bottoms. Neater than the current shop truck thou.

29. I've been following along. Looking good! In my opinion, I think the '57 Jimmy has one of the best looking front ends that was ever put on a truck.

30. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Pssstt. Saxman. It's them big CHROME TITTIES on the bumper.. (Ever mans dream) The ones from this one, the bottom sides are crushed, almost it was jumped and landed on it's nose Dukes of Hazzard style.

They are VERY thick metal (1/8"), very hard to shape, make.. I may make some from stainless so I can polish them out without chrome. So.. I may make them actually like tits.

RE: why I have been so stubborn rebuilding this trashed out 1957...
    My first truck was a 1957 Chevy 1/2 ton SWB, straight six, 3 on tree. My mother died in 2008 without a "county recorded will", the truck sits there on her old place grew up around with small trees. I tried to get it, but a family squabble ensued in 2009 where one sibling thought he was entitled to it all. (still not settled) The truck is still there. The people who own the land now will not even sell me parts from it to "bolt" onto this GMC. I considered going and "stealing" them for a minute. at 19 I installed a power steering box from a impala on that old chevy truck, stuck it through the frame like the original, it "rotated" backwards from the truck box.. so.. as a kid, I screwed up.. I had torched the old truck steering so it sat.. and sat.. and sat all these years. Parts have disappeared off it all over, so somebody has had access to it. That is the last vehicle left on the place so they tell me. I had pulled the 327-muncie 4 speed years ago and put it in something else. It is a shell, with parts gone.

My mother kept all our first cars, she knew she had something we wanted. We sold Johnnys (deceased 1971) 1964 SS 409 Impala convertible to a Hamb-er in California. I only hope he has made something fun from it. It was pretty rough (this georgia weather is not kind), I pray at least he got the engine running well.

So this GMC truck serves several purposes... it replaces my first truck my mother saved in thought, not in actuality. It will never be "that one", I am sure no 1957 truck would be "that one". my failing memory has probably grew it to superman proportions.

Moral of the long drawed out family story, "GET A DAMN WILL MADE AND RECORDED" at the county Probate Court for a dollar. Making one and hiding it in a drawer will not work.