Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '55 Effie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Dec 8, 2009.

1. SG Kage

SG Kage
    from Boise

seriously. GET ON IT.

I know you have been working on this truck. Now get to working on a post!

2. Nice F-series, mine is rough but way fun to drive !

Attached Files:

3. 510madmav

510madmav

Dude, I'm loving your truck. Great work so far..

4. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

So, I've been hammering out a roll pan. I figure I could buy one for $160, but what's the fun in that? So, instead of writing about it I'll show you some pics. I think it turned out quite well.

Attached Files:

5. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

And some more pics of the roll pan and trailer hitch:

Attached Files:

6. Ok, now show me something new! =)

7. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

8. BTW, I like the exhaust in closer to the plate and not under the lights.

9. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Dang you're fast. :eek: You're like a hawk! I finished up cutting the frame horns off, and welding in patch panels on the lower valence. I'll post some pics of that tomorrow. As well as the work I've done on shortening the running boards. :D

10. Now that's more like it! :D

11. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Clean and subtle would be the way to describe the build i think it rocks!!! keep it up cant wait to see more pictures...

12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Thanks dude. I'll keep 'em coming!

13. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Really cool paint idea on this truck.

14. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

This was the process of cutting the horns and filling the lower valence. Pretty straight forward stuff. I'm still toying with the idea of frenching some Amber's in there somewhere. Laters.

Attached Files:

15. Looks good.

And next time you're around I'm gonna buy you some gloves...

16. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great build thread. Nice mods

17. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Running boards. Because I bought the truck with a flat bed on it, and a trailer made from the back half of an F100 I have to weld the two pieces of running boards together. Their not in the best shape. Additionally, because I'm running a 6 foot bed rather than the standard short bed side I have to shorten the running boards even more. Thankfully this is really the finally piece to all the body work I've done. Pics should be self explanatory:

Attached Files:

18. And tomorrow we paint?

19. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Saturday I'm working on the grill. :) Did you start your truck yet?

20. Kinda... it's cursed.

I think the carshow is up there tomorrow too.

21. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Are you going to the car show? If you are let me know, I'll meet you down there.

22. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Finally got a set of edelbrock valve covers for my Y. Here are the before and after hot tank treatment pics. There's a small chip but I think I'll be able to repair it fairly easily.

Attached Files:

23. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I've also been slowly purchasing all the parts necessary to put a 51-52 ford grill in my Effie. But It's not always as easy as it seems. The light buckets form the 52 are virtually identical to the 55, and I can put them in. But I have to extend the center bar from the 52 grill about 4 1/2 inches to have it extend all the way. The other problem now is the teeth don't reach the bottom of the valence. So I've been stewing over what to do next. I don't want to have my teeth not touch the valence like this pic:

Attached Files:

24. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I've also thought about what it would look like with just the thicker/girthier 52 grill center bar. It would somewhat resemble this truck:

Attached Files:

25. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Any thoughts or opinions guys? I also have cut one of the teeth down, and thought about stacking like 9 teeth in the grill, and having them all chromed and cut down on the bottom so they disappear back into the truck. Sort of like this:

Attached Files:

26. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Dude! What a cool build! I am enjoying your humor as well. "I learned how NOT to do a C notch". Love the dyno pull. Gave me chills. I kept watching the tach go up and up and was like dang, Y blocks aren't supposed to rev that high eh? 6000! Boom! Love it!
    As far as my opinion on the grille, hmm...I think I like the simplicity of the straight across fatty bar with no teeth.
    What color are you thinking? Love the white walls! Maybe have Carbs n Chrome draw up some ideas on the grille.
    Oh and what's this in your "signature" about a 30 Model A. Where can I find pics/info on that hot rod!? :)
    Nice to meet you at the Open House last night too.
    See you on the Salt!

27. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Carbs&Chrome and I drove out to Bonneville together and we saw you drive by. Ryan was like, there he goes! Ha Ha ha!

Thanks for the compliments. I think I'm going to just run the bar, chromed of course. I need to add some updated pics as well cause I'm into the body filler/glazing putty stage. Maybe I'll wait 'til I squirt the 2K primer so it actually looks good. ;)

Also, the 30 Model A is a "project" for later. But I've got some fun ideas and I will for sure start a build thread for it. :)

28. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

What's new grovedawg!? Any progress on the truck?

29. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I've been training for an Ironman (Cozumel in November) and I have been slacking on the truck. It also seems like every weekend I'm out of town and haven't even been able to work on her on Saturdays. I have a few updates. Let me throw up a couple of pics, 'cause she's starting to look HOT! (Even if I haven't done a lot to her- lol).

30. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Really I've been applying a small amount of filler around the front pie cuts, and the welded seam around the cab. It's looking good though. I love her more everyday! :)

Attached Files: