Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '55 Effie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Dec 8, 2009.

1. It's getting there buddy!

2. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Here's the latest that I've completed on the C Notch for the rear axle. I've got one side, and with all the work that I've done I think I could write a book on HOW NOT TO MAKE A C NOTCH IN YOUR FRAME. Learned alot, cut a lot, ground A LOT of welds. But I love the way it looks now. Now all I have to do is finish the other side. Ha ha ha!

Attached Files:

3. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Here are some more pics:

Attached Files:

4. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

And some even more:

Attached Files:

5. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

Great thread! Glad you decided to keep the Y!

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I love your learn as you go attitude! You can watch someone perform a task but you don't LEARN until you do it yourself.

7. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

looks great thats pretty much how i c-notched mine

8. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Thanks. If I could go back again I would have probably just carefully cut out four plates, and welded them into the frame, and welded in a top and bottom. But oh well. :)

9. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

AMEN! I have more balls than brains sometimes, and I'd rather just get dirty than sit on the sidelines and watch someone else have all the fun!

10. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

So I rebuilt my rocker arms, following Tim McMaster's description of blocking off the rocker arm shaft to pressurize the system. Pretty slick little way to get higher pressure, and force oil through the bottom of the system. Check it out here Tim's Y Block Rocker Arm Video

I also was able to check the piston to valve clearance one last time and I had plenty of clearance. So I pulled everything apart, and because I'm a stickler for detail I took a hand ream and reamed the oil galley's through the crank to get out the 50+ years of rust and "uneven-ness". They look pretty now. Took everything down to my machinist two days ago. Hopefully he'll have everything balanced by Wednesday of next week. That should make for a happy Turkey Day. Putting it all back together.

Attached Files:

11. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I was able to measure a little more out on my rear axle. It just takes time to get everything just right. So, now I've got pretty much everything measured, twice, three times, and now tack welded into place. I'm going to pull the cab off and quadruple check everything before I burn it all in tonight. :)

Attached Files:

12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Pulled the cab off, and turns out my rear axle center line was off about 3/8ths of an inch. It took a skosh to figure out where it went wrong, but now everything is dead on. So, it's all burned in and mocked up. I also threw a beffy rear cross member in the back to hang a reciever off of. Now I've got to figure out how to use two gas tanks. Switch? Two fuel pumps? or link 'em up?

Attached Files:

13. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Pulled the cab off, and turns out my rear axle center line was off about 3/8ths of an inch. It took a skosh to figure out where it went wrong, but now everything is dead on. So, it's all burned in and mocked up. I also threw a beefy rear cross member in the back to hang a receiver off of. Now I've got to figure out how to use two gas tanks. Switch? Two fuel pumps? or link 'em up?

14. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Less talk. More pictures.

Attached Files:

15. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Minus the drip rail.

Attached Files:

16. 'bout time you posted these!

17. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Looking really good!!! how mutch did you chop? or did you just bring the peak down? heres a pic of mine chopped and drip rails removed

[​IMG]

18. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Nice chop Charger. I just pulled the peak down. Left the front window frame intact and cut the inch under the drip rail in front. I cut an inch out of the back of the a pillars and slide it down over the window frame rails. Kinda like sliding the two puzzle pieces together. Then I removed the drip rail. That was interesting.... :)

19. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Before and After.

Attached Files:

20. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

I just read your whole thread. Good motivational tool. Like you, I never did any of this before. I am working on a '55 Effie Panel Van. Because I am a sucker for throwing money away I ditched the SBC 400 and got '53 Merc Flathead. Despite the bad reviews on this thread I am using a CPP dropped axle because of money and time restraints. Planning on a couple other mods here and there. Hope to have a build thread up soon. I'll check back on yours for updates. Nice job. Keep up the good work.

21. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

More pics. Less talk. :) The doors are done. Mostly. I need to re-work the driver side a pillar on the door. I'm a perfectionist.

Attached Files:

22. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Even more pics of the door. And now the pie cut the hood.

Attached Files:

23. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

If I had to do it over again, I would probably only take out 1 inch, rather than the 1 1/2 inches. But, I still love it. Here are some profile pics.

Attached Files:

24. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Looks awesome!!,I finished pie cutting my hood a few weekends ago,also took 1 1/2 out, makes a big difference in the look!

25. Tacson

Tacson

Nice project you got going

26. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

The front fender corners were SHOT. And the previous owner just slopped in the bondo, rather than fixing them. So here's my repair form a couple of really bent up front fender donors.

Attached Files:

27. Tacson

Tacson

Nice recovery of the fenders

28. WOW!!!! nice work

29. Man, you need to update this...