Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 54 ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. kingpins

kingpins

really cool build. lots of work. not crazy about the green looks unfinished. love the stance of the over all car. good job!

2. mrrocket

mrrocket

Very Nice man, los of great work in that one!

3. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA ! Britney! That's great! So as far as the deck lid goes, I will be changing it. And the green was only a jamb job. The body will be painted. Not left like that at any means.

4. choptvan

choptvan

the green/white is not a finished job. Have to jamb it before you paint the whole car. Get teh areas you cannot get to first.

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

im loving how its turning out!

6. choptvan

choptvan

thank you. Took it to a local show today. Met some great people! Thanks guys!

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Scott, see if you photoshop it with '55 Pontiac split bumper.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a '55 Pontiac rear bumper. Looks like it belongs there. I was gonna get it chromed first, but the chrome guy was at Hooters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. choptvan

choptvan

don't look to bad.... I think I like it...

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just make sure they're not 10K gold plated! :D

those would look really good though!!

11. choptvan

choptvan

12. thaugen

thaugen

Something you wrote led me to think you might not have the advanced metal shaping skills to round off all the sharp edges of the nose. (I apologize if you do.) If you could bend up some tubing to follow the contours of the nose and the trunk, then slit the tubing lengthwise, you'd have smooth curves for the edges. To put it another way, you know what a wood molding called "quarter-round" looks like, right? You'd be sawing the bent tubing into a metal version of quarter round. Then simply weld in where the sharp edges are now.

13. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Have any color ideas?

14. choptvan

choptvan

green for sure. The color of the jambing. THe overspray will be the final color. Just sprayed right and not overspray.

15. choptvan

choptvan

I do have quite a bit of training on sheetmetal. Problem is I lack the tools I want and need. This is one of those cases. I know how I want it all to look. How I want it all to tie in. Just having troubles getting there. My largest problem is that I am still learning. I have the drive. I want to be a great cusomizer. Not some killbillett wannabe. So I am trying things out. Seeing what flows, and what does not. I will get there. Just give me time. As for the idea of rounding things off, I was considering using 3/16 round stock to form an edge. Would match the rest better for sure. And the bumper idea posted above is the exact idea I had for it. So I am going to try and tie all of those things together. When I get the chance to do it, I will post the outcome. I think everyone will like it better. But in the end I know I will. I will show that I am growing. Just another obstacle. Thanks for the input. Really. I appreciate it.

16. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Flake? Silver roof? White body lines? Or is it a surprise?:D

But really, what else? I may not be an expert with metal and shaping it (I will not lie, I am considerably better with fiber) but I will toot my own horn with the color thing. That I consider myself to be a pro at. And in my opinion, I think that a gloss green, no matter how odd the color, it will look too... green. I think that there will need to be a little distraction even if it is painted wheels (that aren't green) Flaking it up would distract from any (not saying there is) imperfections in the metal. The silver roof would add a little wow factor, especially if it was flaked and the white body lines would only make it look less.... green. Just my opinion.

17. choptvan

choptvan

Do you mean flake the whole thing? Was even thinkin white car, green scallops, with green roof white scallops. Still kicking around a ton of ideas. If you can, or anyone at that matter, photoshop some colors, feel free. I need a few ideas.

18. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Personally I think that you could go traditional and keep the roof silver or white-heavy flaed or abalone pearl and use the green for the rest of the body. The Poncho bumpers look awesome, and make the hump in the trunk look perfect in dimesions!! To me, if you go with too many bobbles (scallops, flames, etc..) on a custom body, it tends to take away from the customs work and focus on the paint. I love keeping it simple and uncluttered-just my 2 cents...

19. choptvan

choptvan

Was similar to a thought I had about the paint. Bright white roof, flaked, and a green body. Maybe change the wheels to white.

20. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

LUV the build.Its giving my inspiration for my 54 merc build.GOOD LUCK!

21. choptvan

choptvan

Yummy! I love me a merc. Want to build one around the 52-54 era next.

22. freebird101

freebird101

your '54 is beautiful, as on a merc, It would be awesome to see what would happen if you got your hands on a merc.:D

23. choptvan

choptvan

I have so many plans!

24. choptvan

choptvan

Now wait a minute. Is this actually a pontiac bumper? almost looks like the factory bumper but split? That gives me an idea....

25. choptvan

choptvan

26. skoh73

skoh73

Choptvan- sorry, I've been outta town and away from a computer; didn't mean to leave everybody hangin'. I''l definitely try to 'shop your car sometime soon. Getting slaughtered by a cold right now or I'd do it tonite.

I do think that adding flake anywhere on the car will be overkill. The paint color that you've chosen is a custom touch, and will look great when done. It seems that people think the color is a little bright, but we need to remember that it looks really bright against the primer- that's gonna set anything off. I think that it'll be a little more subdued once it's all there. I'm thinking a white roof will look great.

27. choptvan

choptvan

No porb's man. Thanx for the thoughts. once I see a photoshop of a few colors I will decide on something for sure. When you are ready I will take a better sideview pic and post it up so you have something to work with. Just let me know.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

It is a '55 Pontiac Safari rear bumper. I have it posted on the thread "The one that got away". I 'shopped it a little bit to clean it up but the lines are real.
    I think I see what you mean though, split & trim yours? About the only difference in the end result is the Pontiac bumpers extend farther forward towards the skirt.

Oh, Skoh, for your cold? Try a Johnnie Walker Red and Kalua. Or 5.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Now that is money! :D It really looks like it belongs.

30. choptvan

choptvan

I am certain that I will split the stock one. I think I can achieve the same look by just spending work and not money. I am getting excited now. I will have that done the next couple of weeks before the gunnison show.