Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 54' chevy build(pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draginit1290, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

welp, after a long search, i found my car on apr8 2008 and introduced myself here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257882

so i bring it here to the main thread for all to see who are interested. as of today this is where it sits:

[​IMG]

the rear is certainly laying frame and the old leaf spring mounts are holding it up near a 1/2" still. im saving those to have something to drag off.:rolleyes: but eager to see it that much lower!

as far as the front, i installed the MII from no limit. its low...but i thought i was going to be draggin pennies. so i plan to modify it more as ive already built my tranny xmember to tuck above the frame. and its driving me nuts that the front is raked, bottomed out on the bags...it should be drivable that low imo.

[​IMG]

along with the front end, i had to raise the motor along with the tranny and made these motor mounts out of some links i had laying around from some import tuner:

[​IMG]

back to the rear...i used gambinos taildragger kit!

FRONT VIEW
    [​IMG]

REAR VIEW, i just ordered shocks today and will pick them up tommorow,
    [​IMG]

a quick reminder of how low my girl sits..hehe
    [​IMG]

and some final touches of the floor and other stuff...

here i started patching up the floor back and slowly contstructing my tunnel.
    [​IMG]

-so after raising my gas tank above the lowest point, i made sure it can be dropped any time.(just in case) i just shortened the original straps and tacked welded in bolts from the topside of the new frame.. and im keeping my gas door! im not shaving anything on this car if i can help it and keeping all my trim... I need the trunk emblem! anyone got one???
    [​IMG]

then i wanted my compressors outside the car but also easy to get to in case of...well, anything! so i hinged the a small frame and with some old compressors mocked up the final look.
    [​IMG]

they currently sit even with the top of the gas tank and will fit nicely below the new permenent floor i will be making above these items. with the compressors now outside the car, i tested to see how easy they will be to get to:
    [​IMG]

SIDE VIEW, and this is just a mock up, those are old comps i used for spacing. (car is lifted)
    [​IMG]

so this is just the beginning of the back tho, with the underside of the rear constructed i can finish remaking the floor and start on the aesthetics of the inside...i have a whole bunch of crap to throw back there..stereo, amps, cpu, lighting, etc....

welp, thats about where im at with this, im hoping to be driving by the end of august! haha, hopes and dreams!

2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

how do you run a back seat with that set up????

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

GOOOD DAMN...Does it "LAY THE FRAME" :) ????

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

Damn..you have been busy! Looks good buddy....were you able to order the shocks I told you about or did you go a different route?

5. Those are some long upper arms....Is it just an illusion or are your bags rubbing on them or their mounts?

6. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

sam- modify! ive done many interiors so no big deal, i will be cutting and modifying the frame of the back seat! also those seats are close to 8" tall before the padding, those bars damn near tuck under there with little mods

rossco- your right man, youve been a great help along the way! in fact i dont think a saturday would be normal if you didnt stop in to help out! the "I" thing is more a matter of just quicker typing. EVERYONE gets outside help, and its got to be assumed!

DDrat- yep! yep! yep! hahaah

outlaw- yep, i called napa and they ordered em up, i get to pick them up first thing in the morning!

shifty-- definity an illusion bud, thee is no binding or rubbing of anykind for the link or bags.......i cant tell you how many time we rechecked all out angles and distances!!!

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

Do you plan on lowering it at all?

8. Anderson

Anderson

[​IMG]

What are these brackets welded to? I can't tell from the pic.

9. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

LOL, that one threw me! but yes aamf. even tho its already laying frame. the front is raked just enough that its noticable.....to me! so im going back in and changing a few things! hehe

10. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

there welded to the frame...ive already started patching up the floor from making access to weld all way around. but too they are welded on to a 2x2 cut to fit frame and bracket

11. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

just a small update...thanks to help from HAMBers with my questions i was able to get my car down to the stance i want it......level:) (the trim IS clipped on, not just sitting there:D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think this angle looks good. i shouldve got a closer shot
    [​IMG]

i still gotta drop the core support down to match the z in the front, and then i'm ready to start running the line. brake lines, gas, exhaust, and air bags lines. these are my next step i guess. oh..haha and i still havnt installed the rear shocks..i guess that is first!

-edit-a last minute add, used photoshop to get the estimated color and magneato boyd cod wheels im might use, i dunno; there kina shallow. gonna go deeeeep rim on the back....maaaan i wish i was already lookin this good.
    [​IMG]

and another, i chopped the top....im glad i did this, ireally dont think i like the look and defintly gonna prolly keep the regular top!
    [​IMG]

12. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

That looks really good. Definitely get some shocks out back. Have you heard about Bilstein's air ride valved shocks? I'm really happy with mine. I have more info if interested.

For the front, did you drop the frame horns back down? Or are you just modifying the core support?

13. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

I Am Not Much Into Draging But It Looks Like Its Been Well Planned Out And The Build Is Coming Along Nicely

14. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looks good from here dude!

15. Bazooka

Bazooka

moving right along isnt it? looks good

16. Anderson

Anderson

I thought you were an idiot for being worried about 3/4" but it looks like you took care of it in no time. It does make a difference.

But those photoshop wheels look like dog shit.

17. 52 csb

52 csb

Hey Draginit 1290 wow man you have been real busy!!!!!!! Your progress is nothing short of MIND BENDING.. Great job to you & crew. Keep er going a. Great pics. 52 csb

18. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

those wheels are stupid.

19. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

lookin badass, other than the wheel choice
    j.t.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks sort of like the car that Roseville Rod & Customs did last year. It's your shit, I guess. At least it's not a 2dr being molested with those magnetos. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

The car looks great, but are you a famous rapper?

22. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

Your joking about those wheels..right?

23. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

LOL!! yup, i knew i'd get some laughs bout those wheels. haha. i'll photoshop some whitewalls in there. but to be honest im undecided.... the people i run with out here would rather see the 22"s and i'd catch flac daily from'em if i didnt. i only know a couple people who keep it real. and i actually like both looks,..so like i said..undecided :( but i made room under that car for either wheel, just in case!

-i agree, its prolly the wrong green! im gonna print out like 40 different shades on photoshop until i find the right color...that was just the first one that i stopped at.

24. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

IMO, you shouldn't let other peoples opinions influence yours. If your friends like big wheels, and would make fun of you if you don't run them, they sound like assholes.

Don't build your car for someone else. You'll hate it in the end.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

At least you have a good head on your shoulders as far as catching flak. Most guys would have got heated once the wheel comments started. One comment though, those 22's are going to look foolish in a couple years. Trends with Mini trucks and such go so fast that there is hardly any time to enjoy your car before stripping it and starting again for a fresh look. It's a one up game with them. But a nice set of 6.70s with 3" wide whites will always be a fucking solid choice. Timelessness is something to shoot for not bragging rights.

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Up, I was wrong.

27. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

ur right, i deleted my previous post,, im better than that! thanks

-youve got a really good point tho! as ive seen countless cars with the whitwalls and they always seem to look good and "right".. and i dont like the idea of as you put it, having to change the style later...there is benifit to running a good solid rim and whitewall. hmmm

28. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Car looks cool! Run what YOU like.

29. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Draginit1290.. It looks good man.. I want to stop by and check it out sometime.. But i say you run both tire set ups around here alot of guys dont run white walls but i plan to run them on my caddy.. If you can afford it id have both sets of wheels laying around so you can change it up every once in a while.. I mite have a set of 20s for my caddy not sure yet though.. I like to be abnormal and run stuff that many people dont have around here.. But its looking good i wish i could afford to bag my caddy..

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey '54Caddy if you don't mind me asking, who is "Dino"?