Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 52 Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowrders, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

Dude, I really like the look and style you got going on here. All I can say is, Sweet A$$ Sweet!!!!!

2. man that thing would look killer if you chopped the top.

3. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

4. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

You asked for it!
    Here is some pics of the start of the engine bay.. There is a long way to go!
    Also, don't mind my super sweet hood prop! The thing worked so well and kept the hood so high, it worked awesome. HAHAHA
    firewall construction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Under the dash brake booster setup from Scott's hot rods.
    [​IMG][/B]
    [​IMG]
    radiator support and wheelwells
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Nice framework, Great build thread!!!!!

6. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

OK, Now I'm up to speed. These are all current pics as of 2-15-12
    If you recall, the rear seat was going to need to be modified a "little" because of the rear frame hump, it's reall hard to see what i had going on here, so I'll try to explain a little..
    [​IMG]
    First, I had to trim 2 inches off the bottom of the seat back..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this pic shows the factory arches for around the wheelwells. They had to be completely removed and re fabbed.
    [​IMG]
    Then I had to narrow the seat back 1.25 inches to make it fit right. I actually raised the seat back about 2 inches and it no longer fit correctly.
    [​IMG]
    Hahaha, this pic makes a lot of sense.
    [​IMG]
    Moving on to the seat bottom, the only thing I really had to do to that was reshape the top of the seat around the wheelwells, and re do the driveshaft hump area..
    [​IMG]
    then I added this wall in front of the rear seat to hold it in place and stiffen everything up even more..
    [​IMG]
    kids are crying, will post more pics later!
    [​IMG]

7. The_Monster

The_Monster

excellent work!

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have been using a broom to keep my hood open during my engine swap project

9. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Niiiiiiiiice!!!!!!

10. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

I have a color picked from 2010 nissan. I was looking for the perfect burgundy for a year. Then, one day a brand new Maxima turned in front of me and when the sun hit it, I fell in love! :)
    But this year I have a very similar color in flat. If I make it shiny i'll have to have the interior done and the body flawless, and I just don't have the time or funds for either. I'm determined to cruise! Next winter's goal is for full paint and interior..

11. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

12. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Engine is a 350 4 bolt bored .60 over with fuelie heads. Roller rockers, mild cam, should be reliable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quarter Panels. Out with the old, In with the new!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

^^ You may have noticed I had a little door gap issue that needed to be addressed. I think if you do as much cutting on a car as this one received, its inevitable..
    I think this car was hit at about every corner, this corner was a friggin nightmare, pay attention. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what i'm going to run for tail lights yet, but that's coming soon.

14. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Then last week I started working on the rear disk setup..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Really shaping up nice! Good work. :cool:

16. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Then disaster struck..
    With the 3" hats, the calipers were looking a little close to the framerails, so being excited to see whats up I grabbed the jack quick.. Well, the jack didn't have enough throw in it to get the axle up so I quick grabbed a couple blocks. Of course being in a giant hurry I gave it that one extra pump to make sure the rearend was sunk high as it could go.. just at that moment, the car shifted because I wasn't paying attention and the car must have been off the jackstands, and the blocks rolled over because I got greedy with the jack handle! I tried to let the car down quick and knew it was a lost cause, yanked my arms out as I felt the tailpan falling on my arms.
    I got lucky, The car swung to the right, rolling over the jackstands in the back. One jackstand ended up under the gas tank, crushing it but probably saving my arms.
    Then I drank a beer or two and said some foul words your mother wouldn't be too proud of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look where that jackstand landed on that last pic and tell me I wasn't lucky. If that would have crushed that quarter I JUST PUT ON I probably would have rolled the car outside and set it on fire! ( Jk )
    Other than that I'm glad I let the jack down because who knows what kinda shit it would have taken out if it were still up. I got super lucky it didn't do much.
    Learn a lesson from me kids! Take your damn time with things like this!!

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Impressive. Your patience has to be biblical...and youre luck also.
    any other damage other than the gas tank? i sure hope not.

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

quarters are looking great. Glad you didnt get hurt when the car fell.

19. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

The tick tock of another kid coming is starting to make me turn my head a little less towards the details and more towards the make the damn thing run and stop on its own! I play things out in my head and tell myself the tasks won't take long to do, but then I sink a week into almost nothing and wonder what the hell i'm doing!
    I haven't taken the damaged gas tank out and drop in the new one to see if the floor got bowed at all, but I think i'm golden. I'll have to check the exhaust out back there because the mounts were only tacked on.. either way, nothing catastrophic. :)

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Story of my life:cool:...plus, i often end up doin stuff 2 or 3 times b4 im happy:confused:
    but my handywork aint as goo as yours thou.

21. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Beavis, my engine run stand is available. You can borrow it whenever or even drop off your motor and I can check it out. How's the progress on the '52 coming?

22. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Vern, I love you. haha, I think I'm going to fire my engine when I drop it in the chassis, before I drop the body back on it. I base cleared the block and don't want to move it around a ton, that way if its good to go, (crossing fingers, no leaks) Drop the body on it and call it a day!
    Its coming along, SLOW, but things are getting done, I need to post pics. Looks a tad different now that its all metal and the wheels are painted.
    Hoping If all goes well I'll be slingin some mud on this bitch next week, then the body comes off to the rotissiery for the underside to get done, frame paint, reassemble! Yours?

B

23. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still bustin ass to try and make it to TorqueFest.

24. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

that dream is LONG GONE for me, I was hoping to at the very least trailer it and drop it for the weekend, but now that i've been in Davenport the last 6 mondays instead of my garage, that for sure isn't even happening.. :(

25. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got any updates? I'm jonesn' like cookie monster.

26. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

hahaha, No real huge updates to post, i have some pics I should put up. I have the engine painted and pretty much fully assembled, wheels are painted, and Its really really dusty in my garage right now. its really not much to look at at this point!

27. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

oh, I forgot to mention, I've had a headache for a week straight now, not migrane bad, but super annoying. So its been a real bitch trying to do bodywork with that going on constantly. :( If its not one thing its another. Things just dont flow like they used to. My goal isn't looking too promising.

28. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop