Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 52-54 victoria build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Apr 3, 2015.

1. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Car looks great! Sometimes on fasteners that are rusted in solid I try some heat and the air wrench.Many times the heat followed by the constant,hammering vibration will work them right out.

voodookustoms likes this.
  2. Thanks steinauge I'll try heat next time. I have a few that broke off inside the threads. I'll try an ez out and some heat for those.

3. 56longroof

56longroof

Can't believe I've missed this build. Looks awsome!

4. Thank you. I appreciate it.

I was able to make a little progress on the car yesterday. Both inner fenders were beaten to hell. I don't know how they got like that, but I had to try and straighten them out, flatten out almost every straight edge, weld up holes, cracks, and weld up the gap that I made when I raised the upper wheel well. Here is the in progress driver side ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446699226.012293.jpg

5. Hey! Love your build. Judging by the air deflectors, I'm pretty sure that's a '54 ford doghouse. I think '52-3 are the same, and '54 are different -- but I could be wrong.

I'm about to blow mine apart and really finish it out (i.e. fix the stuff I've been putting off, and paint it).

6. Thanks. Glad your enjoying it.
    But what's a doghouse?

7. Thanks. Glad your enjoying it.
    But what's a doghouse?

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

She's coming along nicely.Now it's an official restoration.

9. The front fenders, inner fenders, hood and splash apron.

10. layedout49

layedout49

Been wanting to see some progress on the body ! Lol

11. Unfortunately no body work for now. Gotta get the engine and trans back in.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If anyone following this needs a '54 drivers side inner fenderwell PM me.

13. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447858809.223090.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447858826.442731.jpg
    I've been making some progress lately. On a late night when I didn't want to wake the neighbors, I started filling in the cracks in the steering wheel. I'll get back to that later.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447858896.660725.jpg
    This body mount was completely rusted through, so I cut out the bad section and welded in a 1/8"thk u plate ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447858994.190967.jpg
    Just waiting on body mounts before I redrill the hole and attach the brace.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447859053.159626.jpg
    I got about 15 holes welded up in the firewall.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447859080.972280.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447859094.941788.jpg
    Also got most of the rust brushed off the frame. I found out that one of the motor mounts had broken off an someone welded it from the other side, but it's crooked, so I'll have to spend some time fixing that next.
    Do you guys think self etching primer and rustoleum semi gloss would be a good paint combo for the frame? That's what I used on my suspension parts.

RockinRivi and Eric H like this.
  14. flamingokid

flamingokid

Sounds good to me.Are you going to do an under coat also?

15. I wasn't planning on doing an undercoat. But, it probably would be a good idea? Is that rattle can stuff at local auto parts stores good enough?

16. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448086014.492334.jpg
    Fixed motor mount yesterday.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448086045.610171.jpg
    Dropped off some more parts at the machine shop and got to see the fresh paint. I'll have some finned valve covers for it soon. I'll be doing the roof this color also.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448086123.608378.jpg
    And when I got home, these were waiting for me!
    Tonight I started replacing body mounts and figuring out where I need to shim the body. Hopefully this weekend I'll have it all remounted and have the firewall and frame prepped for paint. Going with semi gloss on the frame, and gloss black on the firewall and inner fenders. Hopefully that will make the engine pop a little more.

RockinRivi likes this.
  17. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

i had always liked these cars,and had been following this thread and just kept coming back to it and loving what you've done..........so much I've gone out and bought one!its a project but thanks for posting ,you got me! Johnny

18. Johnny,
    Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad I can provide some inspiration to people. Awesome that you have one. I'll be looking forward to seeing yours come along.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  19. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Thanks it came from the classifieds here and is on its way to Australia now! so i won't see it for about 5 weeks.but i will be doing taillights exactly as you've done and a few other things,its missing a grille,so looking at custom alternatives now.Johnny

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

If done properly,it's just as good.It also works great as a sound deadener.

21. jhuebner

jhuebner

Spray on truck bed liner works great did my entire floor and trunk area for the underside used the spray undercoating.

22. Cool good to know. Thank you. Now I just have to get all the old shit off!

flamingokid likes this.
  23. To remove old undercoat, I have used a heat gun and scraper.

24. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449535245.574330.jpg
    I got to hear the engine run today. He is addressing a leak and then it will be all mine.

Steering box is getting rebuilt tomorrow.

I got the inner fenders back from sandblasting so I can finish modifying them next.

I've been Working on getting the clutch pedal to work with a cable instead of the bell crank. That's proving to be a pain in the ass. But I'll get it figured out soon.

25. 56longroof

56longroof

Looks great! Who did you get to rebuild your steering box? I just pulled mine from my 56.

26. Sorry, I actually don't know who is doing it. I dropped it off at a friends house and he is having his guy do it. He's done several for him. I know he's a SoCal guy though.
    I know Old Soul Speed and Custom rebuilds these boxes. You can look him up on facebook. I was going to go with him until i found out i could have it done locally.

27. And just in case anyone was wondering, those valve covers are just temporary. I'll be going with some old style finned covers when money permits.

I got the front part of the frame cleaned up and sprayed tonight. I went with a Rustolium Semi gloss. It will match the control arms that I painted a few months back. Glad to make some progress that actually shows! It was driving me crazy sitting there looking the same for weeks. Next I'll work on the firewall and inner fenders.

flamingokid likes this.
  28. flamingokid

flamingokid

You'll look back and think "Wow,that went quick".I always do as my friends roll their eyes. ;)

29. insinna

insinna

I'm a little late to the party but great build. I've got a 52 mainline business coupe I've been picking away at for two years.... The first six months took to get it on the road...

Attached Files:

30. Nice ride! It's awesome to be able to drive them as your Fixing them up.
    You have a build thread on yours?