Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 52-54 victoria build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Apr 3, 2015.

1. vwdave30

vwdave30

Yeah i agree with slopok centered would look better and be easier to see

voodookustoms likes this.
  2. Ok thanks for the input slopok and vwdave. I'll move it to the center before I mount the gauges in there.
    What do you guys think a safe rpm range would be for this old 239? I don't have any idea how many actual miles are on it. It may have been rebuilt at some point just because it's pretty clean when you take the valve covers off. It doesn't smoke. It might have a slow leak form the rear main, but I havnt confirmed its location for sure. With the ford o matic it sounds like it's revving pretty on the freeway doing about 55.

3. Slopok

Slopok

My Flathead is happiest on the highway at 2200 RPM, 65 to 70 mph, 3 speed with overdrive and a 3:91 rear end out of a 51 Merc that didn't have overdrive. Just came back from Vintage Torque Fest in Iowa 480 miles round trip and got 19 miles per gallon up and down a lot of hills. I've never had mine over 4000 rpm.

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Slopok is right.My 49 was always most comfortable at 60-70 mph.

5. Good info. Thanks guys.

6. So after hooking up the tach, it looks like at around 65-70 I'm hitting 3k. Looks like I need an overdrive!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431151503.557984.jpg

oliver westlund likes this.
  7. Here's the before and after. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431151931.264394.jpg
    I think I might go a little darker though.

Johnnee D. and Sancho like this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Red plastic spray?

9. This is what I used ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431209807.725639.jpg

flamingokid likes this.
  10. flamingokid

flamingokid

There are lot of great products out there for plastic,leather,and carpet.A little ingenuity can save you a lot of money.There was a thread a few years ago that dealt with chrome paint that has saved me a lot of dough.

11. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Chrome paint?? Everything I've used turned out to be crap.

12. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I would do center. Too. Maybe make a hinge to flip it behind the dash for parked for a cleaner look and flip it down for driving. I've been tossing that idea around for a bit.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

There are guys that have taken it to a whole new level.

14. I'd like to see that

15. vwdave30

vwdave30

Here ya go

Attached Files:

16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Talk about a "mirror" finish! LOL

cdoh likes this.
  17. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

was your dash always working or did you have to redo it? the stock gauges are my next task

18. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

i also have a old buddy that has an 3 speed overdrive for sale. i was gonna buy it until i went with a T5. let me know if your interested

19. It barely worked. The glass had old sealant glued and smeared all over it. The wiring in the back was falling apart. I pulled the whole dash when I rewired the car. I spend probably 2-4 days just on the dash. But it was well worth it. It looks much better now than it did. To clean up any rust I just used wd40 and scotchbrite. Worked great.
    ya I might be interested. My trans is leaking pretty good now. Whee is our buddy located?

20. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

that just awesome. i really dig the original cluster. yours looks brand new. great work

21. Thanks I appreciate it. If you do yours, be careful when your cleaning the plate with the numbers painted on it. I tried cleaning it with simple green, and the white lettering started to smear off. A mild soap and water would have been better.

SICBOY likes this.
  22. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

thanks for the tip.

did you have to pull the dash to remove the cluster?
    do you have any pictures of the back side?

23. No problem.
    No you don't have to pull the dash, but I did anyways because I was wiring the whole thing and it made it much easier. If all you are doing is the cluster you can just remove that from the backside.

I have some pictures of it at home I can look for later.

24. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

thanks. i would really like to see the pictures so i have some reference

25. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

lombard IL

26. Here ya go. This is after I got all the wires connected. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431438824.203187.jpg
    And this is after I grouped them and put a connector on them all. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431438871.366097.jpg
    I wired the ignition switch directly, but for the headlights and the rest of the wires, I grouped them separately and used a 12 pin connector I got at the local electronics store. Make sure if you do that, you get the correct crimper and removal tool.
    Molex 12-Pin Connector Kit 0.093" 1 Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027SAAT4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3AGuvb0HEZ8Y9
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027SAAT4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3AGuvb0HEZ8Y9
    Male/Female 4 Pin Molex Power Connector Pin Remover Computer Wire Extractor Tool for Modding / Wiring / Sleeving (for .062" and 0.093" pins) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094MIS9U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_yBGuvb19VR718
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094MIS9U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_yBGuvb19VR718
    Only thing I would do different next time is use terminal ends without the plastic insulation so I can use heat shrink for a much cleaner look.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431439192.799171.jpg
    This came in really handy too.

UNSHINED 2, cdoh and flamingokid like this.
  27. flamingokid

flamingokid

That looks great!I picked up on that about 25 years ago while competing in Auto Sound.That and I'm a little OCD ;) it looks very professional.

28. That dash (front and back) looks great. One thing I did when I had my dash out was to paint the backside white. Makes seeing the wires later much easier. Already had to use it once since putting it back in and man what a difference. Love what you are doing with this car. Keep it up.

29. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

WOW! this is EXACTLY what i needed. shit. anymore help and you might at well do it for me. haha.
    thanks for posting this. i really like the use of those connectors, it makes the wiring OE and its really convenient. once i tie up all my wiring ill do the same.

30. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

one more question. it looks like its just 3 nuts that hold the cluster in. true?