Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 52-54 victoria build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Apr 3, 2015.

1. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I got the same problem with my lowering blocks. Better work on your pot hole swerving.

voodookustoms likes this.
  2. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Found this on the ol' Facebook. Color is pretty close to yours, thought you would like it.

Attached Files:

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

For my 50 shoebox it makes it way easier to remove the drum stick tire up into wheel well then stick drum on and put tire into place. It took a long time to figure that out but it does work for me and few other people I have told that too. Give it a try might work for you.

voodookustoms and Squablow like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I have a '52 and a '53 and I know the rear tire change struggle, I heard a guy say he put air shocks in his car so he could fully charge them to basically push the leaf springs down for tire access, moving the leafs farther from the body than just gravity can do, seems like a good idea, and also then you can jack it up on the axle instead of the frame, for more height. Individual Schraeder valves for the shocks would allow you to do one side at a time for better leverage.

I like the drum removal idea above as well, I never would have thought of that, but sometimes that tiny amount is all it takes.

5. Haha ya for sure. At least being this low the car hugs the ground and handles swerving pretty well.

6. Looks like he used a chevy grill opening. Ive never seen that on one of these fords before. Thanks. Love that color also. That was high on my list of colors.

7. Good idea. I'll definitely give that a try next time. Thanks.

Thats good to hear! Im getting air shocks for it this week to improve the ride quality, so it looks like they will serve a dual purpose. I like the dual schraeder valve idea too. Thanks. It looks like there might be some hope for this situation.

8. I could use some input from you guys.
    I installed my clutch pedal, cable and firewall adjuster yesterday. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455728047.613084.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455728058.995363.jpg

The firewall flexes every time the pedal is depressed. The weight of the clutch pulls it in probably 1/8" to 3/16" each time. I need to reinforce it from the inside somehow. I would like to do it without damaging the paint of possible.
    My thoughts are a 1x1x3/16" angle or 1/4" flat plate epoxied to the inside of the firewall. Hopefully if it is scuffed up sufficiently the epoxy will hold it. If not, I could run 2 chrome bolts through it, but I would rather not have any more bolts through my pinstriping.
    What do you guys think?

9. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Make a plate that mounds against the inside of the fire wall and use the existing bolt holes to mount the cable to the plate with longer bolts. Then brace the plate under the dash or to the pedal assembly. That way you don't make more holes in your firewall. And the clutch cable isn't actually mounted to the firewall. Basically the same principle as the brake master.

Here is a crude picture I drew on a napkin Because I'm on lunch. Haha

10. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

11. cmarcus

cmarcus

Chris, your "crude" picture didn't attach brother...

12. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Let me try again ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455738427.576427.jpg

13. cmarcus

cmarcus

Very nice sir :)

14. That is a good idea and probably stronger than bolting it to the firewall. Thanks for the idea! I'll post up my results.

15. Slopok

Slopok

I guess it's a good thing for voodookustoms that you had HAMB for lunch today.:D

16. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

It's good for me that I had lunch. I was hungry.

cmarcus likes this.
  17. I haven't been able to spend very much time at all in the garage. Between working weekends, getting more into guns, and injuring my shoulder while riding, I haven't had much time for the car.
    This is all I've done in the last few weeks.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457305370.311923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457305249.869984.jpg
    This will be epoxied to the inside of the firewall and the adjuster will bolt to it from the outside. I will still need to brace it off of the pedal assembly as the firewall still moves quite a bit with this installed. So, that is next on my list.

flamingokid likes this.
  18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Sorry to hear about your shoulder.What kind of guns are you into?I'm a collector/dealer/CCW instructor/Hunter Education instructor,in addition to loving shoeboxes ;)

19. PsychobillyRat

PsychobillyRat

So much good advice and ideas on this thread. Will be using quite a few when I start rebuilding the 53 Vic I just picked up..keep up the great work.

20. Man, youre engine looks so good in that pic. ;)
    I think im going to paint mine the same color, I love it

21. That's awesome. I'm into all kinds of guns, but for now I have an AR, glock 17, a little 45 back up and a hunting rifle. I'm thinking about getting my ccw and learning how to hunt soon. Seems like we have quite a few similar interests.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    flamingokid likes this.
  22. I hope it can provide some inspiration like so many other people's threads have done for me. Post yours up when you start working on it.

23. Thank you! I'm planning on painting the valleys in the valve covers and air cleaner in the same gold.
    I also just picked up a polished carb from a member here so it should be looking pretty clean when it's all done.
    Hopefully I'll have a little time to work on the clutch brace this weekend.
    I've been so busy with doctor visits, other hobbies and work that I haven't done anything to the car since my last update. Dying to get back to it.

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

Bicycles,guns,Kustoms,you gotta be a good guy ;) When you get ready to hunt,let me know and I can get you pointed in the right direction.It's a spiritual thing,it's hard to describe.BTW,looking forward to more progress,you're almost there.

25. Haha yea man great minds think alike.
    Cool thank you. I'm looking forward to getting into it. Knowing where your food comes from and taking it yourself is serious business. Not many people get to experience that part of life. And death.

26. I finally got a minute to spend in the garage tonight. I finished bracing the 3/16" clutch plate. I used some L1x1 welded to the plate and bolted through to the brake pedal assembly. my welds look like shit since I couldn't get at the right angle with the gun, but they are strong. It should still be possible to remove some day if I ever need to and it completely got rid of the movement. Also got the tach and turn signal switch mounted back on the column. I got all the wires under the dash cleaned back up and zip tied in place. Next I'll be making a little bracket for a brake light switch.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458350518.194363.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458350705.553554.jpg

oliver westlund likes this.
  27. 56longroof

56longroof

28. I finally go the brake light switch mounted. It would have been so much easier if I did this before the brake pedal was installed. It could have been installed directly on top of the pedal support. But installing the pivot bolt with both the clutch and brake pedals and all the spacers and shims was way too much work to install again. This will work.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458708216.045985.jpg
    I got a few more wires routed under the dash and the water temp wire routed to the block. Working on the accelerator linkage next.

29. PsychobillyRat

PsychobillyRat

Looking Hella good, will be going through your build with a fine tooth comb when I start my 53 Vic...

30. Thanks I hope it helps with yours. Lots of things I wish I did differently. If you do a cable clutch, brace the damn firewall before you paint it and assemble everything! Haha. That would have saved me a lot of time.

PsychobillyRat likes this.