Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

2. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Thats looks good

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lord knows, we all have them, especially those of us who were adults in the '70s!

Great job on the firewall, looking good!

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank god my earliest childhood memories starts around 1980,late 70's is a blur to me.Not because of the dope,its just because of my age:D

Thanks to everyone for your words!

5. whisky runner

whisky runner

yea the 70's are a bluuuur to me too..in fact the 60's are too....and not because of my age...:)

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Damn hippie:D

I guess it could be cool to saw what was going on in the bike and car scene at there in the 60's.
    But i dont care about cold war-era soviet ass kissing which happened in here at the same time..
    Anyway,i think i have to do a massive cleaning operation,before i start the next phase.But i'll update this thread when i've got something done.

7. 1Shot

1Shot
    from Finland

Nice to see this kind of building threads from here northassFinland!! Is that flake on upper firewall? I'm keeping thight look on this thread..:cool:

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,this is not the only build thread from Finland on this board...
    Yeah,thats a sort of flake related paint on the firewall.Same stuff on the inner fenders,but i am going to get the whole body(and frame too) painted at some point.So just try not to pay attention to the flakes:D

9. 1Shot

1Shot
    from Finland

Yeap, I bet it's not first but as you can see I'm newfag in HAMB:D The car is "WIP" and firewall underhood is flaked so that's why it got my eye. Give me pics of whole car and I'll get my eyes out of the flake!:D

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

There's a pics of the whole car in my shoebox pick up thread.I think there is no sense to post same pics to this thread,so check it out:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466217

11. Another foam job is history. You would miss the entertaining aspect of that trove, if there wasn't one on your project, wouldn't you..

Cool thread, good work! Cheers!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Well,i think car building is sometimes entertaining,but i guess every project has the "amusing" spot,which has done in the past.Maybe my whole build is a one for some pro carbuilder,dont know and actually i dont care.I think the most important point is to have fun without any stress and learn something.:)

13. Well said, something I forget regularly. I'm definitely learning.

14. very nice work

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,i am not stressed,but i found out that the trunk floor is.There is damn stress crack,right around the body mounting reinforcement plate:

[​IMG]

The whole trunk floor isnt really in a nice condition either,it looks better in this pic than it is:

[​IMG]

So,my solution for this problem is to tear the whole floor off.I did some homework in hamb and i noticed that many of shoebox guys have used mustang gas tanks in their builds.
    I dig some really old posts and there was a mention that someone used a 66' Comet gas tank.Its basically same as the mustang tank,but the filler neck will be on the right corner,not on the middle like its on the mustang tanks.
    So i bought 66'Comet tank,i guess its a bit wider than the mustang tank,but it fits in there:

[​IMG]

Right now its really cold period in here,because of that i am going to keep a week or two long creative break....a kind of.I am going to do few mounting bungs with a lathe for the tank and few mounting bungs for the floor too.I bought square tubing at today,the plan is to fabricate a subframe for the floor and for the tank.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

17. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

About build in new tank in a shoebox

I have used a Volvo 140 tank from 72 on my shoebox

[​IMG]

I took the egde from the volvo and weld in insted my verry bad trunk floor.

I beleve thats not easy to get the orignal edge from a comet so you can do in same way as i did

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess that the Volvo gas tank could be the cheapest way to do it...
    We have them too in here,you know.
    I am not going to hunt any Comet trunk floor pans,i think thats the hardest way to do it.The plan is to fabricate new floor pans and a subrame from square tubing under that.Square tube subrame will be my "edge" for the tank.
    Its hard to describe what i am up to,but i have clue how to do it.
    So,you'll see:D

19. natas63

natas63

very nice work, everything looks like its coming along nicely

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

I havent updated this thread for a while,but the weather is getting warmer again,so i hope i'll get something done at the next weekend.

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Where you can find a set of shoebox seatframes with springs in good condition from Finland?
    The answer is nowhere,so i bought them from Texas.
    Thanks,Kyle!

[​IMG]

I got a good price from the 65' SS Impala seats that came with the car,so after shipping dues and taxes buying these doesnt feel so pricey at all.
    I picked the seats at yesterday and i also picked up a full bottle of argon for my tig welder,so its time to do some tig welding.
    Which is a good change for this project,i've done most of the welding with mig so far with this one.

22. whisky runner

whisky runner

good deal that you got your seats...i also have several good sets of seats for the shoebox fords..i guess shipping was a killer on those..i cant sell mine here because of shipping cost..ha ha ha ha....are your floors all done?? getting ready to mount seats...

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Damn! Nice work bud! No way I have the patience for that much fab work...or skills

24. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice to see good springs in your seats. My was so bad that i thru them away. And i will repace them foam.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!
    The shipping wasnt so bad,they came by sea freight.By air it would be fast,but outrageous.
    But i have time to wait,still have lot to do before i am able to fit the seats.
    Only the passengers side rear floor isnt ready,i am going to replace the floor brace for there too.I bought a new brace,but i havent received it yet,i guess its should be here soon.
    Meanwhile i am going to start doing the subframe for the gas tank and for the trunk floor.I figured out that i have to do it in two pieces.It will be easier by that way.

26. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

WAY TO GO!!! Man I am glad you are happy with the seats (I'm happy you got them) I like your build thread i'll check back often. Kyle

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,that was a really easy deal for me.So big thank you again.Its just impossible to find any decent parts for shoebox from here.I guess that the seats were the biggest items on my shopping list.So no more that big packages for this project.

The cold period is over and its time to mess with shoebox again.I made few mounting bungs with 1/4 UNC threads for the gas tank with lathe

[​IMG]

And i did some tig welding,here's the subrame part for the tank.Its upsidedown in that pic,you can see the bungs welded on that piece.

[​IMG]

And the subframe part is mounted to the gas tank

[​IMG]

I was supposed to do some maintenance for my daily driver at tomorrow,but i didnt get the parts i needed.So,i think its time to cut the trunk floor off the body at tomorrow

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I cut the floor off and started fitting the subframe.Its a really tight fit,not much space around.I was worried about the space between rear axle and the subframe,but i moved the subframe so rear than its possible and now there is over an inch space between them.That should be enough.
    After its bolted on the frame,it will be in this position:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  29. farmer12

farmer12

That fuel tank appears to fit in there nicely, and at the same time reducing the amount of trunk fabrication. Great job!

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    You are right,there is a less fabricating because of that tank.I guess its wrong to talk about fabricating new trunk floor,more like fabricating everything else around the trunk floor.
    I guess next step is fab the mounting stuff for the subframe..