Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys.I have to say this that i am not going to start whining why there is this and why this is done like that.This is just a build thread about how i am doing it.There are few surprises like this foam deal,but after all i am still pleased about buying this shoebox.

So,i butchered the rocker with sawzall and this was what i found:

[​IMG]

The inner rocker didnt look bad at first and i thought that it'll need just few patches.But there was so much pitting on the inner side of it,so i decided to make a new inner rocker:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Oldkrow likes this.
  2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I welded the inner rocker and painted it with primer,i did the same thing to the outer rocker before welding it.

[​IMG]

And the outer rocker is welded too...

[​IMG]

I guess that the next work will be replacing the front floor brace.
    I have to figure out how i brace the body,before taking the old floor brace off...

3. farmer12

farmer12

Wow! Very impressive fabrication, keep up the good work!

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,

I appreciate your comment

5. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

nice rockers well done

/Stefan

6. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!

8. racer57

racer57

9. whisky runner

whisky runner

nice work..one day i will post my shoebox build..i also had to replace all the floorboard, inner and outer rockers, and parts of the quarter panels..the work you already have done is really good..are you doing any other work to the body..i removed and blocked off my fuel filler door..i am also grinding and welding the seam on the rear..hope to french the tail lights..looks like you will be done before mine is..keep up the good work and posts..R.C.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys.Am i going to do any other work to the body?
    Well,lets see.
    My plan is do the all sheetmetal work to the body and then take the body off from the frame.Then sandblasting to the body and the frame too and paint it with POR-15.
    But before that i have to finish the floor,firewall,trunk floor,few patches to the body etc.
    And then there will be some work with the doors,fenders and with the trunk lid.
    So i guess i am going to do something..
    But that work will be mostly boring rust repairing,not so much kustom treatments.
    Well,maybe some of that too:D

11. whisky runner

whisky runner

i will keep watching your build with enthusiasm ..mine got way out of hand..seems like one day i was driving it then the next day i started the 'REPAIRS" !!! was alot more fun when still able to jump in and head down the road..thought i had a good car,but when you stir crap it usually stinks..ha ha ha ha ha

[​IMG]

here are a few of the early pictures of mine..
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/51 ford project/

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

And i thought that i have a lot work to...
    Well,you dont have to cut off any crappy remains of the original floor.
    There's a bright side in everything,just have to think positively:D
    Have fun with your project!

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess its time to post some update pics.
    Passengers side front floor brace was really bad,so i replaced it to the new one:

[​IMG]

The lower cowl area needed to be fixed too.There was some cancer...
    I know that some vendors sell these patches,but i thought there's no point to order from states simple patch like this.So i made it by myself:

[​IMG]

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I dont have enough sheetmetal to fabricate new floorpans,all the stores were closed at today and i wanted to do something....
    I hate to jump from phase to other,when something is not complete.
    But i wanted to do something,so i decided to chop passengers side door garnish moulding.I've never done it before,but here's the result:

There was a dent on the B-pilars side,but that doesnt matter because its going to be cut off soon:

[​IMG]

No more dent on the B-pilar side,everything is tackwelded now and it needs completing the welding job and some finishing touch:

[​IMG]

And here it is:

[​IMG]

I guess i could do something different to do it faster,it took few hrs chop it.
    I think that the next one will be quicker one,then i have a somekind of clue that what the hell i am doing:D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Oldkrow likes this.
  15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice done

Your shoebox were more rusty than mine in the floor
    And my car have stand out doors for manny years without windows in south of sweden.

/Stefan

16. whisky runner

whisky runner

nice job...almost makes me wanna chop my top....ALMOST...:)

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys.Yeah,the front floors and rockers were pretty bad,but i guess it could been a lot worse than it was.There are some smaller spots that needs work,but nothing like the front floors.
    Well,i hope that the floors are done before winter.The garage isnt the most warmest places at wintertime and i have to keep a little break in january or something..

18. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

You've done nice job! I started today to fix my Comet and it´s gonna be a BIG job. Almost whole floor have to be fixed and I have to do some changes to prop shaft tunnel. Rockers are rock solid but floor´s gone. Now it has a huge hole on the passenger side floor. Keep up the good work!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Never get tired of reading this thread. Great job on the garnish moulding! Still got to do mine.....

20. big creep

big creep

nice work on making the lower patch panel!

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!
    I borrowed my bro's chevy van at last weekend at picked up more sheetmetal,so i guess i have all the sheetmetal now that i need with this project.
    I have a over 20 yrs old european POS as a dailydriver and just cant haul a shit with it.I really need to buy a pick up truck at some point...

Well,my plan is to get the firewall and the front floor patches beadrolled at this weekend,at next weekend i am going to swapmeet in Stockholm,so no shoebox building at then..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Back to the floorjob.Here was pretty cold week,so the bead rolled patches have been waiting welding over week.The weather got warmer a bit,so back to the work.
    I made a patch to the passengers side toe board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the next step will be passengers side front floor and after that the drivers side toe board.I guess i didnt plan the drivers side to the end,the lip for the transmission tunnel is missing and well...It just doesnt look right without decent beads.I made it before i got the bead roller dies done.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    Rob Jones likes this.
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain, brother! My '51 Chevy was completely rotten on the bottom. Subscribed, nice work!

[​IMG]

martin53 likes this.
  24. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

thanks for inspiration to fix mine.[​IMG]

25. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice work with floors

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys.Looks like that i am not the only one who is fighting with bad floors.
    Its good to hear that someone got inspiration because of this thread,so good luck with your projects!

27. I'll be tackling the same stuff in the next month or two, so I'm looking forward to your updates. Keep 'em coming.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Wanna update?
    Ok,here's one:

At today i finished the passengers side front floor.At yesterday i tackwelded it,it was our independence day.So no work,just patch fitting and tackwelding.

[​IMG]

Big patches like this can take some time,have to hammer it,bend it,grind it,drill holes for spotwelds and ofcourse weld it...I guess that the patience is a key to the (somekind of?)success.
    I am tired as hell,but i am glad its done.
    I have to fabricate a patch for the passengers side rear floor too,but hell with that.I am going to fab the transmission tunnel,redo the drivers side toe board and redo few patches for the firewall first.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  29. Harris

Harris

Looking damn good!

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!