Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Nice, Antti, but i missed the clue on the worn out passenger hinges, too! maybe one of the first owners had a heavyweight girl with some serious knee trouble, so she always had to lift her wide hips out of the car by pulling her body up with her right a(aaa)rm.. only a guess...;) hope to see your car the next years somewhere around! i'd like so much to make a roadtrip to Finland, seems to be a wonderful country!

Yours, Carsten

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hell yeah,this message board is really useful.I guess i saved few hundred units of european moolah by using that threads info.I am going to use the same method for the drivers hinges side too.

Thanks Carsten,my theory was that back in the days the previous owner has been poor mans playboy who didnt have enought cash for the Cadillac and had a LOT of huge girlfriends.Well,who knows.But the movement was ridiculous,when lifting opened door up,it moved something like 2-3 inches and ½" at sideways.
    So i guess it was time to do something for them.
    If you ever come to Finland,dont come at wintertime.Then this is a cold and dark shithole with a lot of that white crap on the ground that people call snow.
    But summers are nice,welcome:)

3. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Finn - That filler panel on the rear deck lid looks great! You did a nice job. I was glad to hear that you got your door hinges rebuilt with not too much hastle. I am getting ready to do the exact same hinge rebuild on mine this weekend. Hope mine goes as well as yours did. Keep up the good work - I look forward to hearing more of your build updates.

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Only problem i had with the hinge rebuild was to find drill bits in inches,i couldnt find anything from the local hardware stores because everything is metric here.So i bought them from Germanys ebay.Took 3 days to get them and i got ten drill bits for about 25 euros.
    That hinge rebuild just doesnt work with the metric bits.
    Well,my 4 week summervacation starts at next week and the last missing quarter panel is on the way.That should be in here at next week.I'll update this thread when i've got something done.

5. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nice job, again! I really must come to visit at your garage... at this year. :D I'm on the vacation and now behind is over 4000kms with Taunus and the trailer. More ahead... :cool:

Greetings from Netherlands!!

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Thats far away from the neighborhood.Have fun in there and be safe.I guess i am not going anywhere on my vacation.
    Well,maybe in the garage:D

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I used the bottoms from EMS I got all 4 or $100 they mispelled Ford Frod and I was the only one that bid. And on top of that they sold me the rear roll pan for $25. The top is a passenger door I cut the skin off of. I dig you build thread.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Looks like you've got a good deal with the panels.It would be nice to get a deal like that,but not in here.The tracking numbers says that the missing panel i need is in Finland now,so i guess thats the last panel i need for this project.If everything goes fine,it should be welded on the body really soon.

9. Progress is looking good, nice work on the hinges. 4 weeks off? I only dream about having time like that to work on my car. Have fun!

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Yep,4 weeks vacation has been my regular summer vacation lenght past 13 yrs and i have one week for winter vacation too.I guess i dont always like my job,but there is few good benefits.Without them i would be long gone from that work.
    I started to work with the passengers side quarter at today,i'll post an update when i've got something done.

11. msalamanca

msalamanca

Antii, have fun with the 1/4 panel. My drivers side has been a nightmare.

12. Hey, pal, wish you a nice summer vacation! i'm lookin' forward to see you making progress after that! :rolleyes: hope i'll make some progress too before you're back...

Greets to ya, Carsten

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,the passengers side is fun,but i guess the passengers side is far away from fun in here too.But we'll see...

Thanks!
    Yeah,i have time,i should get something done.My goal is to get the quarters done,do a little improvement for my shovel...Almost forget,we are organizing a small car/bike show again,so that should take some time too.
    I guess i can get some of them done:D

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is a little update:

The inner fender was a bit pitted from the rear,so i decided to fix it too:

[​IMG]

I welded the last missing quarter panel i got at last week.There was a little wrinkle on the wheel opening corner and i had to hammer it a bit before welding,otherwise it was pretty good:

[​IMG]

Now i have to pull it out of the garage,turn it around and push it back to the garage,so i can start working with the drivers side.I think i'll grind all the bondo off from the drivers side when its out,no need to dust the garage with that stuff.

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

Looking good.
    Its getting closer day by day.

16. farmer12

farmer12

It's still great to see you're doing a great restoration/build with no stones unturned. Well done! I love the fact that you're tackling the areas that will never be seen again by others, and you know it was done properly. Respect.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Well,i guess only reason to fix those unseen spots is that i dont want to re-do same things after few yrs.If i see thin,pitted piece of crap that use to be solid metal decades ago,i dont give any mercy for that.
    This side was fun to do,too bad i cant say same thing about the drivers side.

18. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Your rust repair look great

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

20. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Looks really great!! Your Shoebox will be awesome!!!

21. Dr. Sizzle

Dr. Sizzle

Amazing work so far Finn! Can't wait to see it finished. Can you send me the info on the push buttons too ;)

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys,
    I guess its done at some day,hopefully.Sheetmetal stuff just take time,when you got one thing done,you notice two spots more that needs some attention.Its been a bit rainy,so i thought it would be better to wait for better weather before pulling it out from the garage.I just dont want to get any extra "patina" for the fresh panels.
    I fixed passengers side A pilar,there was slice of sheetmetal missing from the inner corner.I guess that was such a minor job,so nothing worth to post.

23. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Finn - The spinner just keeps looking better and better my man. I always look forward to seeing some new updates from you. Have you gotten that Shovelhead zooming around yet? Post up some pictures of the bike when you get some time. Hope all is going well with the 4-week vacation.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Yeah,shovelhead update is done.
    It was pretty small update,but i dont have any pics at moment.I had a Panheads canister style oilfilter,the filter shell was finned aluminum and only way to keep the oils inside of the filter was to use hand make gaskets.I got tired to make those damn gaskets every time i changed the oils,so i updated the filter for more practical version.
    I pulled the shoebox out of the garage,at the moment i have small off-topic "customer" job,but hopefully i am working with the shoebox again at tomorrow.
    Things have been just fine on my vacation,too bad its over soon...

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

So,i got one week left of my vacation and what i've got done:

Shovelhead update check
    Organizing car/bike show check
    Finishing right side quarter check
    Finishing left side quarter well....

...now i am officially neck deep in shit with this project.

I knew the drivers side quarter is a real mess,so i grinded all the bondo off and this is what i found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes,it looks like hell,but while grinding the bondo off i got this idea.There is been a really long time an old repro front door skin on ebay,maybe that is a solution for this mess.The door skin is for 4 door front door,so i guess thats the reason why nobody has not bought it.
    So i bought it and i need a patch for the left side door bottom,so i can use the left overs for that.Hope it works.
    The windsplit area is pretty pitted too,so i think i'll change some of that part too.
    If anyone has an extra windsplit for the left side,let me know.

Because it was asked,here is a pic of the shovelhead update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats a Crimescene choppers Vendetta oil filter mount,it was a satin when i got it but i polished it.I made a mounting bracket from stainless steel and polished that one too.I guess my perversion for the finned aluminum cast parts is satisfied for a while:D

26. farmer12

farmer12

The shovelhead looks killer! Well done. As for the rear fender, a man with your skills can straighten it out in a few days. Remember, patience is the operative word!

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric!

Yeah,i thought at first that i could pull those dents up and hammer it,but that dented area is heavily pitted.There are few spots above of the dent that are pitted too,so i think only cure for that is replacing that part of the quarter.
    There is a vintage patch job back from the wheel opening.I guess that was a good job back in the days,but it doesnt look really awesome at these days.
    There is some lead here and there,so i think i need to buy a torch for removing the lead.

28. Like that bike Finn . I am not a bike guy per sey but I know when I see one I like and this would be my style if I had the desire for one . Excellant job Finn .

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Well,bikes are in my blood like cars.I have owned that bike almost ten yrs now and its been 3 yrs when i built it.The rigid conversion for motorcycle frames came legal few yrs ago in here,i started hacking up the frame right after that.Last winters plan was to take the exhaust pipes for ceramic coating,but i guess i was just too busy to mess with the bike.
    I've learned that messing with too many projects at same time does not lead for anywhere,so i think i concentrate in shoebox for awhile.

30. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Finn - That shovelhead just looks killer! Nothing better than a cone-nose shovel done up bobber style. The wide-glide forks look great with those black sliders on there. I really dig this style of bike.

Bummer about finding the drivers quarter damage. With time and patience it can all be fixed.

I have loads of spare shoebox parts here if you need anything. I am getting another 4-door parts car next week, so I will have plenty of sheet metal pieces. I have windshield surrounds - back window frames - door skins - glass - wing windows - a bunch of shit. Just shoot me a PM if there is anything specific you need and we can work out the shipping details.