Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Your lid looks good

2. Your trunklid looks sweet, a pity that there's such a wide distance between us, would be my honor to do the lead job for you..

Greets, Carsten

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the positive comments!
    Well,that lid needs a little more attention,so i guess its not quite ready for leadwork yet.
    But its definetely better than the old one was.
    Well,it could be really cool to hire fellow hamber to do some leadwork.The distances suck..
    I think i'll mess with my mercedes coupe with the rest of this week.But thats just a thing i have to do,not what i like to do.Its always same thing,working with daily drivers is really repulsive work for me.Thats one reason that i dont do car stuff for living:D

4. farmer12

farmer12

As usual, great metal work there Finnrodder. You keep amazing me every time, well done!

5. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Looks darn good!! So you have a rusty Mercedes? That can't be true, I'm really shocked... :D

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,Eric:)

Yes it is:D
    All my daily drivers has been piece of crap,always.If you drive cheap rustbucket,you have more funds to your projects.I dont have any pissing contest with my neighbors who owns the most expensive car in the neighborhood,but i drive 70K mercedes...Just 20 yrs later:D

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

My plan was to make a hidden door opening,because the law requires manual opening in here with the shaved doors.I saw an add on finnish us car forum.One guy was selling stainless steel replicas of Lincoln pushbuttons.He said he got the dimensions from Lincoln Zephyr's pushbutton.
    So i bought them and i picked them up from the post office at today:

[​IMG]

I think this will make few things much simplier with the doors..

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

The car is lookin' great ! Those door buttons look really nice, how much does he sell them for? I really could think of an excuse to need a pair !!

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

Pm sent..

10. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

they're looking great !

i've got the same problem with door handle than you Finn,can you send me the pm too :D

11. Trunk looks great, nice work. Looks better than mine, I've got a long way to go on it.

Those push buttons are cool. I've been wondering how to have manual openers from the outside and haven't come up with anything yet. Thinking of running a cable into a wheelwell or something, not happy with that. Maybe Lincoln buttons are the way to go, they do look good.

12. Did you strip the paint on your trunk lid with a chemical stripper or just wire brush it?

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Andrew.
    I've been thinking how to use those buttons with bear claws,but nothing come to my mind.Too bad there is only one lever on them,that makes things a bit too complicated.
    Well,maybe i figure something out..or maybe not and use stock 51' latches.I need to fix the hinges and see how the latches work with them.
    I read shaved door thread from finnish US car messageboard.Few guys in here have an electric locks and the backup cable is routed throught the firewall,the cable is connected to small knob.
    So the cable is inside of the hood and the hood opening latch must be on the outside then.The law says we have to have manual door opening,but i guess it didnt say where it has to be..
    There was some bondo-related coating on the lid and i striped it with paint stripping discs.

14. Looks great, I'll take the pm too!

15. 432bullet

432bullet

I had the Linclon push button doors on a 1950 ford coupe back in 1956. Was cool then ,Still is.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

They look good on Merc's too.At last month there was a car show in the neighborhood and i shot this pic there:

[​IMG]

The button seller said that Merc has the push buttons made by him.I guess they are not shown properly on the pic,but thats really sweet ride anyway.

17. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

linc push button were the shit back then ! you could see it on everything ! i wasn't there, but just take a look inside the little books, that's one of the trick!

Strange to see the owner of that merc put linc push buttons for a cleaner look, but forgot to put bondo or lead on the headlight frenching... and painted it anyway ! :confused:

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,it looks like a bit unfinished.I saw an article about that car in finnish mag,its converted from 4 doors to 2 doors.The owner did a helluva work with it.

19. Janne

Janne

Frenching plus couple more modifications will appear in this car before it's finished.

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nothing special going on with this project,but look what i got:

[​IMG]

I bought them via hamb awhile ago,bondo free fenders from california.There are few dings on them and minor rust issues,but they sure are a lot better ones than those that came with the car.I guess i have bought most of the bigger parts now.
    Friend of mine,Janne(not the guy above,but i guess they know each other)pick them up and sent them to Finland while he was working in Bill Hines shop.
    He is going back to states at wednesday.Lucky bastard:D

21. farmer12

farmer12

Congrats on the fenders, they seem to look very good. Should make life a little easier!

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric,i am sure that they will make my life a LOT easier.I guess the pair i had isnt impossible to fix,but that job could take a lot of time.I think these will take some time too,but not so much.

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I bought a screw knocker from ebay,but it was for 1/4 bits.Nice tool,but pretty useless with the shoebox door hinge bolts.Its just impossible to find philips ph4 bit as 1/4.
    So i made a bigger version for 1/2" sockets,that worked pretty well.

[​IMG]

It just needed an airhammer and some CRC lubricant oil,the screws opened pretty easily after 61 yrs.I bought a new counter sunk bolts with allen heads.
    Next step will be rebuilding the hinges....

24. Hey Antti, nice to see you're back on work :D these sunk screws are hard to come by after all these years, i had a long fight with'em too while trying to loose the Phillips-sunk screws of my door hinges, had to glow'em up to dark red several times.. nice fenders you bought!

Greets, Carsten

25. farmer12

farmer12

Nice bit of tool making there Antti!

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Carsten and Eric!
    Yeah,those damn philips screws can be real pain in the ass,but i guess the screwknocker is the solution.I am still waiting for the panels,but i should receive something soon(at the moment i have the tracking numbers,so i guess its a somekind of progress),i thought that while waiting them,i'll fix the hinges for passengers side.
    I bought a pair of rebuildable hinges for the passengers side,those i got out are so worn out that there is no point to trying to fix them.I think i try to mess with the hinges at tomorrow.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

The hinge issues with passengers door are over.I rebuilt the hinges by using this trick:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570601

[​IMG]

It went well and i am glad that i found a new hinge bolts from here.That kind of bolts can be pain in the ass in the metric world.There is still work to do with the door,but i guess the worst part is over.Its a kind of strange,the passengers door hinges were a real mess and the drivers side door is a lot better.
    Usually its the drivers side door that sucks..

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great Finn.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice trick. Tech archives come through again, well done Finn!