Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 51 Chevy 2 month project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Apr 26, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

Back on March 19, 2011 we rolled the 51 Chevy into the shop to start what I thought would be a 2 month project in getting it on the road. Today after 25 months, I finally drove it on the streets.

This is what we started with:

[​IMG]

Then the 83 year old guy who owns the old shop where I rent space, told me that the rust bubble on the rear quarter was rusting from the inside out and told me to push on it with a screw driver. Knowing nothing really about welding patch panels, body work, or painting I embarked on getting it back drivable.

With help from several older threads here like RustyPipes' Bagging a stock 49-54 Chevy front end, BrerHair's Old Rusty, Tin Can's 53 build, Thommyknocker's Upholstery a beginners journey, Flat Ernie's T5 links, NASCAR suspension, and others. I began learning the new skills I needed to do the things required to get it on the road.

I made mistakes too numerous to keep track of. I did things I'm sure are not "the correct way" to get it done. And I'm sure others would tell me to do it differently.

I received tons of help from Paint Experts when my painter who I thought knew what he was doing caused me to have some serious learning to remedy my paint woes. And several Alliance Vendors helped me out when I needed missing or replacement parts.

So this is the first drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to give it a final buff and wax, get some wide whites, put on the spider caps and trim rings and in two weeks Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle will mellow it out with new pipes.

Thanks again for everyones help

2. Cruiser

Cruiser

Your experience sounds like the trip I took on my '52 Chevy, six months and I'll be cruising. Well, not yet it's being painted at this tim、e soon maybe soon. :D Good luck on your ride it's lookng very cool and the WWW will set it off.

CRUISER :cool: