Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 48 Plymouth Kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by uglysteve, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Very nice work, it's going to be a great looking car
    Keep up the great work

Sent from my Che2-L12 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Great man, just great. I'm watching.

3. Tonights efforts. I bought a harbor freight bead roller like 2 years ago and finally used it haha.

[​IMG]

chop job and MyCrustyVW like this.
  4. So that's a better idea of how I'm replacing my back seat with a shelf type thing that my tank and compressors will sit on. No room in my trunk for that stuff so i had to get creative. I'm still not sure if I'll carpet that area or just paint it or what.

5. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

very kool build...can't wait to see her with the 52 grille ;-)

6. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

This is looking excellent. How do you like that bead roller? I have to make floors for my car and was looking into something like this to add strengthening ribs, just wondering about feedback on it. Thank you!

7. I like it but I had to modify it a bit. I can take some pictures and post em. It's just made from a big steel plate, so I got some square tubing and welded it onto the back of the bead roller to strengthen it a bit. And the crank handle thing it comes with is awkward. So for that I used an old steering wheel and made a piece to bolt that onto the bead roller. Much easier to use.

It's great, me and a buddy have both been using it to do floors in our cars and it's doing the job

8. awesome build. looking forward to seeing what you do with the grill. looks like good work so far.

9. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

If possible I'd very much like to see what you did. I was thinking along the same lines. Adding some channel and I have an old junk VW Bus steering wheel I had thought of adding somehow. Would be great to see how you modded yours!

10. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Ok I finally got a couple pictures of it.

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  11. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Thanks very much for the great pics, sir! I ended up doing something similar. Old VW Bus steering wheel bored out and drilled for a locking bolt. Still need to reinforce the frame. The stand was a brand new one I found in the tool room at work they were tossing! Thanks for the help! Sorry the pics are big, I don't know much about this stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Good work man! Love those Plymouths have owned one last year but that was just for flipping it again, sometime i will build a chopped one too if another one comes by me, the lines they get with lower roof is better than any Ford or Chevy!

13. I like where this is going.

14. Well I'm trying to get this thing done enough to cruise it a bit this summer. I'm pretty close! I got to pull it outside for the first time in almost a year and a half the other day. Got a shot of it next to my buddy's stock 48 business coupe to see the difference.

IMG_7199.JPG IMG_7201.JPG IMG_7204.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

15. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

17. SERPENT

SERPENT

18. Im on the road! I scored a nice seat from one of my buddies for cheap. I think it's out of a ford falcon. And I did up some quick door panels with Mexican blankets. And I decided I like minty green better than red... Feels good to cruise again. All goes well she'll pretty much be my daily driver til it gets too cold.

Attached Files:

19. Well some plans have changed for the ol' Plymouth. I have always liked the look of Carson style tops and decided that's what I'm gonna do with this car. And being that this was my first chop, with minimal welding and metal shaping experience, I made a lot of mistakes. I like the proportions and everything, but I've never been 100% happy with it. Mostly due to my half assing certain parts of the chop, either to get it back on the road faster, or because I had no idea how to do it. Or both. I re-did the doors twice and they still sucked. The rear quarter windows were awful. There was a lot a lot of bondo, a lot less than I thought, which is cool, but still more than I liked. So I've been thinking about the carson top idea for about a year, and decided it might help me get rid of a lot of mistakes that I'm bummed on and give me a chance to re-do some things better than I could have in the past.

So, I was at my garage the other night, stood there staring at it for about 30 minutes thinking "should I really do this?" Eventually said "fuck it why not" and decided to cut the roof off, and here's where I got.
    plymdogroadster.jpg

That big piece on the back there is a part of the old roof that I'm planning on cutting a bit more and fitting in that spot to fill some empty space/brace the body a little. I'll probably make a frame out of round rod and then fit that over it. I don't have an english wheel and that piece has almost the right contour so I think it'll work. I plan on making the car look good as a roadster and then building the carson top to fit.

I've got a lot to fix on this thing too while I'm at it. I drove about 100 miles with no oil in the rear end and ruined it, (not on purpose) so I need to fix that. My steering is SKETCHY, so I've got a good plan for that. My floors are swiss cheese. Goal is to drive it again sometime before next fall. We'll see!

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. Also. Olds grille.
    plygrille.jpg

badgascoupe and ratty_aussie like this.
  21. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

If there's any half assing going on in your work, it's not showing in your pictures. It takes a lot of testicular fortitude to cut the roof off of a car and weld it back on as a first big project.

22. Hey Steve I've got a stock 48 plym front seat if you want it.

23. I like the get in and have a go attitude of your build. Well done!

uglysteve likes this.
  24. That falcon seat I got now for it fits perfect. Thanks for the offer though!

25. Plymouth bit me last night. Had a fun trip to the ER at 1 am haha....dammit. Wound up with bunch of stitches and a tetanus shot. So progress has stalled for now. But i did some trimming and found that the piece of roof i cut is shaped perfect for what i need.
    IMG_9149.JPG

My arms hurtin today....
    IMG_9156.JPG

26. 'Mo

'Mo

HAMB'er 40 Desoto Hemi Coupe recently posted this.
    Not a Carson top, but still maybe inspiring.

[​IMG]

uglysteve likes this.
  27. Nicely done sir and with minimal skill yet. I love the entire car, especially the Carson top idea, the Olds grill ain't bad either. Great job, can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. junkers72

junkers72

29. Are haveing removeable ? and are useing condueit on a wood header on the A piller ?

30. Well until recently I hadn't had any progress in over a year...I won't give you guys a big sob story but let's just say 2017 was a rough year for for me. Lots of feeling bad about myself, lots of drinking and zero motivation to work on the car. In a way I'm glad I took the year off because I was struggling with how to make the carson top idea work. And I'm sick of having an unfinished car sitting in the garage, so plans changed yet again for hopefully the last time. I've decided to re-do the chop and hardtop it.

So i wound up extending that catwalk and moving the rear window forward a bunch of inches (professional measurement). and started making a wire frame/buck out of 1/4 round rods.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did a rendering of how i want the new roofline to flow and I think I'm nailing it!
    [​IMG]

I got an english wheel and have been trying to learn it so i can make the new panels for the roof. Im trying to have this thing at least driveable again by summer. But I have a long way to go. I have a lot to do besides this roof.

here's a little better picture of what i hope it will look like
    [​IMG]

I'll post more as i go! trying to get down there a few days a week to get it done