Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 48 Desoto Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my47soto, Sep 11, 2009.

1. my47soto

my47soto

:cool: How's everyone doing, I'm still new here and this will be the first post of my project. I plan on bagging the rear end, chopping her four inches and keeping my sexy flat six. Im contemplating on the tranny though. So I will keep everyone in tune of all my progress. If anyone has any ideas throw them at me I'm always open for suggestions. So wish me luck, this will be my first 40's build I was nervous at first but the way says if I can handle being deployed I can handle this '48. Im still a rookie here so if anyone can tell me how to post pics i will be lad to show her off:D

2. This could be a great project! Ya sure ya want to chop it? Post us some pics when ya can...

3. my47soto

my47soto

Alright my newbie ass has finally figured out how to post photo's, so here you go. Here is my girl in all her glory, like I said before if anyone has any ideas for me, please swing them my way.

Attached Files:

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Holy shnikey balls....that engine/trans is HUUUUUUGE!!!! Either that, or you're Tiny Elvis

[​IMG]

5. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Wow...that's a project! Good luck!

Isn't that the ride that Richie borrowed from his old man to drag someone and Fonz and his crew "souped it up"??

6. InPrimer

InPrimer

Remember the KISS principle,fix what has to be, enjoy the ride and soon the new ideas will come to you, might try the Mopar forum for trans ideas good luck

7. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Oh man she needs a ground pounding 440:D:D:D

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

my47soto, DOOD, you have a good car to start with! Musta been livin' right to make that score. Are you gonna stick with the orginal flatty or go 230, 265, what?

9. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Mild chop, wide whites, french rake, and color of your choice....but please keep that grille and interior. That steering wheel is gorgeous and the grille looks like it coming to attack you..

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sphynx, man you tickle me. This is my SECOND fave DeSoto & I want to find a hi-deck DeS Hemi for such a project. BUT, you r are thinkin' big-block, and what's BETTER than a 440, unless you go with serious mods? (440's a good-LOOKING mill too!)

11. sololobo

sololobo

What a great looking "D", I had a 48 Dodge that I loved, it was a gangster lookin ride, black with wide whites and all stock, my Dad took it in trade when he had a car lot. We would ride around thinking we were cool!! I love the stock top height and would keep it if it were mine, but it will look great an way you do it. Good luck with the project. "It's Delightful--It's Delovely--It's Desoto" Rock on man!! ~Sololobo~

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WhiteyFord, yeah, DeSoto grilles have ALWAYS been pretty "impoisng," haven't they??? LOL

13. Desotoguy53

Desotoguy53

will make a slick ride!!! just thought I would let you know I have one like it, if you cut something up and can not fix it... I have extras! Good luck...Bob 785-584-6148

14. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

dont chop it. just drop it ,put some whitewalls,a little shave and paint(black) and call it a day

15. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

yeah you see that coming down the street passing by anyone; and you would do a double take and wonder what the hell kind of car was that????

16. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

My advice, Don't consider a chop until it's on the road and driving. Then hopefully by that time you've dismissed the idea. Dump it on the ground and roll.

My last build was a '46 dodge sedan for the family. Did de-arched and reversed eye leafs, 9" ford rear in the back and new 3" lowered coils in the front with discs. Sits perfect and drives nice. These cars have really good lines stock, just need an altitude adjustment. Mine has late model eng/trans as well.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

"Look stock and carry a big stick." I'd be planning a 440, a slight lowering, and very little else.

-Dave

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

For insperation ..

My 46 DeSoto ..

I called it the DeSoLow

Sold it to a Hamb member and now lives in the warm climate of the country of Italy

[​IMG]

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

Bigdad, has the new owner sent any more pics -after paint-?
    That ought to get some motivation going!

20. Big Dad

Big Dad

No sir, just a couple small pics ..I am not where my normal puter is to post them .

Mine did have a 440 - 727 - 8 3/4 rear in it ..

21. my47soto

my47soto

I have fun in love with the flatty, Im not upgrading at all. I found another matching Carter to go with the one I pulled off, so I will be running a dual carb and get my exhaust manifold split. I'm just lurking the pages borrowing ideas on how to make this lil puppy roar.:D

22. my47soto

my47soto

LMAO, good one. I'm bent over cause in all the excitement of having this bitch out I forgot to undo the speeedo cable dit da deee:eek: That engine does look huge in that pic

23. my47soto

my47soto

[QUOTE="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;4324316]Mild chop, wide whites, french rake, and color of your choice....but please keep that grille and interior. That steering wheel is gorgeous and the grille looks like it coming to attack you..[/QUOTE]
    Hey bro are you freakin phsychic, everything you mentioned is the direction Im tagging this baby, I am stoked. The interior and grill is what got my attention its like having to love seats in your car.

24. murfman

murfman

I'd swap a t-5 5 speed behind the stock motor, or a 518 OD auto if you prefer to be shiftless.

25. 73RR

73RR

As others have suggested, a B or RB would be a proper package for such a huge car...but if you stick with the inliner leave some options open should you change your mind. Even a big torque 265 will be working hard.

If you want/need to change to a Mopar manual or Torqueflite I can set you up. This does require a later rear axle and a 12 volt starting system.

26. my47soto

my47soto

I forgot about my hunter safety course today!!! I was planning on doing some body work today, but. I'm stuck in this class until freakin 5

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

my47, HUNTIN's FUN! Gotta do that course! Upland, then turkey & deer ARE coin' up, bro!

PS: But, AS I said, my dream is to find a decent 46-48 DeS coupe & put a hi-deck DeS Hemi in it! I really LOVE the beltline on these post-war DeSotos!

28. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

If it's the original engine it is a 251/25 in. block.

29. James Curl

James Curl

Go over to the www.P15-D24 forum home page and look for the suppliers. Look up George Asche in PA. You will have to call him as he is not into computers. He makes dual intakes and exhaust out of the original for all MoPat 6's. He has forgotten more about these engines than most people have ever known. Don Coatney on the forum installed a De Soto engine in his 48 Plymouth 4 door and a BW T-5 transmission and drives it long distances. I took my 48 Plymouth with 218 six on a 4600 mile trip in 2007 with no problems except getting the Bonneville salt out of every thing including the frame, thats the year everyone had to drive through about 8 to 10" of salt brime to get in and I was going in.

30. joel torres

joel torres

my47desoto whats up brother i see you got allot done from when you first came on to p15d24 i might have extra parts for you but im busy with my build to know whats extra at the moment check out my build page and document yours the same way it helps when times get hard i just go back to my page and see all i accomplished and my spirits rise again

semper fi
    joel