Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 47 Plymouth Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CM3112, May 11, 2015.

1. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Yeah, I was not real happy when I took it apart. My fear is that a rebuild would cost more than a transplant.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It will, but the transplant won't be rebuilt.

The thing is: is this engine cracked? If the intake was full of water because the engine block was cracked, get another.

If it was because they parked your car in the rain without a hood, I'd be 'negotiating" with that shop.

3. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

I don't think it is cracked. You are correct, the shop left it out with no hood. I specifically asked if they were keeping indoors and they said yes. However the last few times I went by there they had it outside. I raised my concern again and they assured me that it comes in every night. That is obviously wrong.

4. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

I will still take the block to be cleaned and magnafluxed to make sure.

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Damn.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when a shop gets your job in, and their courage bolstered by the money that business guarantees them, they ask much more money for the next job that comes in.

And the next.

And then they put your car aside as long as they can dick you around and string you along, hoping to rake in the better money, before they have to go back to the lesser wages they'd make on yours.

I can't guarantee this is what happened to you, but having worked in a couple A-1 shops, and a few junky ones too, this would be my guess.

To uncover the crime, follow the money.

Also, I'd file a claim in small claims court for the engine damage. They may claim no responsibility for damage or loss to cars stored there, but if they were not only negligent, but also lied about it to you, and dealt in bad faith, the judge might award you something worth having.

After all, this is not some late model Toyota anybody can repair. This is an antique, and deserves special treatment. Because it is an antique, it has special personal value to you, beyond the mere cost of repairs. He might not be able to award punitive damages, but sue for the max $ your state allows. If the shop owner fails to appear, you'll win the money by default. Take documents and photos. Make sure the judge knows you're serious and have done your homework before going to court. They respect that a lot.

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  6. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

You are 100% correct, that's why I went and retrieved the car. It has been a nightmare to deal with this guy. I have been working on getting my money back and finally after I told him he could make payments to me I have all but $300 back. Once I have the final three bills I will be more than happy to give the shop name and warn everyone I can.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  7. 48 Hotel.jpg 48 Hotel.jpg Wow 3112! looks like it may have froze while it was away, ya think? Been watchin yur posts and pics and like the work on the old Plym. Good work yur doin there. I had a 48 a while back and it was the coolest build i have done. I thought it was a sharp lookin car when i got it done.

Attached Files:

CM3112 and Ulu like this.
  8. Sorry to see that damage happen to the flathead. I hope you get it all sorted out and back on track. Hopefully some compensation from the "shop" that did it. Good luck and keep after it.

-Chris

9. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

I am continuing to disassemble the motor so I can take it to a machine shop. If the block comes back OK, I will rebuild it. It is definitely a set back but I think it is best to rebuild it in the long run.

Progress will be super slow through the rest of the year but I will hopefully get some solid work done through the rest of the year.

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  10. i might be able to help with a piece from a 49 bumper. how much do you need?

11. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

12. remind me if you don't hear back from me in about a week.

13. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

14. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Well, the block for the Plymouth has been cleaned and honed. Now we are moving forward! Going finish the rebuild and get it set back into the car over the next few weeks. Changing direction a bit on the build but looking forward to getting back to work on the old girl. In the mean time I have been playing with my new addition.

56 Lincoln Capri...
    image.jpg

Re-wired the car and had the dash painted Lime Squeezer Flake, threw in some carpet and added some pearl white dash knobs and some speakers. Turning into a fantastic cruiser. Need to rechrome the trim and will eventually paint the roof to match the dash.
    image.jpg image.jpg

moparme, ratty_aussie and layedout49 like this.
  15. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Oh, lordy...My '59 Edsel had those same intrusive a-pillars, and I wacked my knee on them more than once. I think that's why I never bought another car from that era.

17. tragic59

tragic59

Had a 58 Edsel wagon (57 Ford from the firewall back) with the same A pillar set up and used to bang my knees on them all the time!

The plymouth is looking great! Glad you got the flattie lined out.

And those Lincolns are beautiful cars, in spite of the danger to your knees... Nice score.