Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 46 Chevy Kustom Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger O'Dell, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I bought this,drove it for a while,didn't like the mustangII, steering. The rear end was mounted all wrong, it was dangerous above 65 mph. One day while bs ing with one arm Bob, I bid on a 2007 xlr (cadillac corvette) driveline on ebay and to my surprise I won it. So while finishing up my 36 ford (my car from hell). I decided to put the drivetrain in the chevy. I went to Steve Stanford to draw up a car I remembered from high school. Then went to Max at Biokustoms to build me a frame. He and Steve ended up doing more while I finished up the 36.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

[​IMG]

Old Shit Out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

59 Chevy Dash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

[​IMG]

63 Impala Seats

[​IMG]

Rock Valley 47 gallon tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

6. H3O

H3O

that is gonna be one sweet ride. only thing i would change on the project would be to add spotters and a little bit of striping on the trunk, in red and grey (or silver). can't wait for this to done!

7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

47 gallon gas tank ! - are you planning to drive coast-to-coast non stop? :)

Anyway...looks like another cool ride from you.
    I like the tricky dice n slice on the fenders.

Amazing how those xlr drivetrain/suspension/wheels all stay together in one-piece without an actual frame.

8. boldventure

boldventure

:cool:I like your style...car ain't bad either.........:cool:

9. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

That is going to look bad ass!

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool build. I like your idea running the Chevy with the updated suspension and
    keeping that Klassy fastback style. Thanks for sharing the pics with us and I'll be
    looking forward to updates.

Happy Trails,

Mick

11. JAWS

JAWS

WOW!!!

I can hardly wait to see it done...

12. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Holy crap that is gonna be nice to drive..

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

.... I'll print out some builtens on the front suspesion... I know there is more then one issue. (caddy/hummer tech)

14. RDR

RDR

OMG....watch out for another cool cruiser from Roger !!

15. lorodz

lorodz

great looking start

16. Man are you off to a great start, looking forward to seeing this one finished.

17. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

ya know, i dont even care for that body style at all but MAN thats fuckin cool !!!!! i will watch this one man, love it !

18. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

cleatus just about all of my cars have large tanks 57 eldo-50 gal, 48 cad-45 gal, 38 zephyr- 40 gal, 63 vette- 35 gal, I hate stopping for gas, and I always seem to have a low life on tank sending units. Roger

19. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Cool car - but your front suspension is fucked. Have your guys take out the front spring and cycle the suspension with a jack and watch in amazment.

20. Interesting stuff. I like the wheels especially.

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Very nice! How much did you actually have to widen the car? Rears look about 2" per side, how about the front?

22. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Actually we did that , while making sure of fender,frame etc , cleared everything. I think you are talking about the induced geometry that GM put in this suspension, camber,caster gain through travel, (cars have done well on road race circuits). This might be a problem if ride height was being changed freq (aka air bags) but unlike most of my cars, it will stay at one height. If you think I'm missing something let me know, I'm old enough to listen. Roger

23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I still have you pictures I liked your chop. When I have this thing rolling under it's own power, then I'll decide about cuting the top, makeing it wider lowered the top visually I THINK. AS time goes on I hope to get it right in my eyes thx Roger

24. JAWS

JAWS

Thanks, I too want to do something other than this old Mustang II front. Although this one is a great driver, I want more posh. I really like what you are doing.

If you need any specific pics when it comes time to chop yours, let me know. I have a sneaking suspicion that yours will turn out freakin awesome without any help from a hack like me.:D

25. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Roger,
    I will admit that I am ignorant to this Caddy suspension but it visually defies what I know about suspension. Induced geometry is a new one to me. I cant wait to learn something new! Car looks great,I love the wider stance.

26. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

That's going to be one nice ride when its done!!! keep us updated.

27. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The cadillac xlr-v is built in Bowlingreen Ky next to the corvette. It's a corvette with a supercharged variable cam northstar engine. In 2005 they changed the entire vette suspension. I had to have it explained to me. My thoughts it's trick. However If I didn't already have it (and got a deal on it) I doubt if I would have picked this for my chevy. A lot of very good alternates out their. And I didn't like the suspension that came in the car when I bought it. Roger

28. elvi411

elvi411

Love the suspension!

29. Progress on this interesting car?

30. that is going to be one outstanding looking machine. art deco on wheels.