Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 41 Chevy P/U Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Been working on the bed, it's a stude bed bought off a hamber and retrofitting it to the street/race chevy. I cut 8 1/2 inches off the end, bought some 41 chev stake pockets to go on the rear, they seemed the closest to matching the fronts.
    I pie cut them 3/4's an inch and about 7-8 inches down to tuck them under the top bed roll better. stock one on the left and diced on the right
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also cut the front stake pockets off and repaired some rust under and in them, at that time I capped off the stake pocket hole in the bed too.
    [​IMG]
    I had radiused the bed sides to fit the bigger tires and formed a lip around that using a wooden buck.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the finished lip
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Finished the other bed side lastnight and tack welded it to an inner floor support I made. I moved the bed forward and recessed the front panel to eliminate the day light between the cab and bed from a side view.
    I need to fab mounts from the floor support to the frame and finish welding but I'm almost done with the bed [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks pretty good , i like it

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Good work Phil!

Norton

5. ...looks great, got any pics of the whole truck so far?

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think you need bigger rear tires.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. They do make a size bigger but this is enough for me. It should look good when it gets the fenders and inner fenders in place. I used 2 inch wider rear fenders and narrowed the bed 4 inches so the outside lines are in the right place. I think the wider rear fenders will help match up to the wide front fenders.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's looking REAL good, Phil. I wish I had your energy & ambition in this cold weather.........

9. still working along on this
    had to re-center the rear fenders and started cutting up the running boards to fit since I shortened the wheelbase
    [​IMG]

polished the valve covers and replumbed the lines from the regulator to the bowls
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    found a center to use for the steering wheel, I'm sure you guys remember that thread..lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. I cut my tail lights in the stake pockets, I had taped a magnet to the inside of the lens and moved it around until I found the location I liked.

I traced around the lens and then traced an inner line about 1/8 inch inside so I could have a flush fit of the lens mounted from the back side.

I drilled a hole for the jigsaw blade and cut pretty close to the inner line, once cut I used a deburring bit in the drill and a half round file to finish it off. After these pictures were taken I was a little unhappy with the straight cut out so I held the file at about a 45 degree angle and filed a beveled edge around the opening.

and the installed light held in place with a wedged in piece of white styrofoam

100_5241.jpg 100_5242.jpg 100_5248.jpg 100_5244.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Started working on the exhaust today, I was happy with the outcome. It doesn't look like it will be as restrictive as I had imagened coming off the collectors.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin' damn good buddy! Keep it up, Phil!:cool:

13. Finished the exhaust, but still waiting on the tailgate and lower panel to get bent. Cutting that bolongy tip on the end was crazy, I really need a band saw. I used 2 U-bends and a little over 6 feet of pipe all together. This is the first time in the trucks life it will have duals, breath baby breath.
    100_5295.jpg 20171011_144958.jpg

14. knotheads

knotheads

i sure like that 3/4 view side shot.i had always pictured my 41 chevy with the bed shortened up a little.you got the porportions in balance. good work

15. Thanks, the truck looked really long after the chop so I figured shorting the wheelbase was the route to take. I really sweat the porportions often laying in bed at night wondering the what if's, I think the cowl is the only thing that hasn't been reworked.

16. 100_5354.jpg 100_5356.jpg 100_5352.jpg rear floor is welded together and set in for mockup

I got the taligate and lower panel ready to be welded in, just have to get that script bonded in

started cutting the hole for the moon tank, it'll sit a little further back than this

17. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I can't wait to see this going down the strip!
    I'll have to come down this summer and see it in person.

Norton

18. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Where did you find that one piece front? sure could use one for mine. What kind of chassis is it on? Put mine on a s-10, shorter wheelbase but lkie you im shortining the bed up. Puts it in proportion I think. Great looking truck man!

19. That front was from a now defunct company called Creative Glass out of Oneida, Tenn. it was a real piece of shit. If I didn't have so much money tied up into it I would burn the cocksucker !
    The frame is stock boxed from the back of the cab forward and tubular back half, the front is a mustang ll with custom crossmembers.

20. rustyhood

rustyhood

That is looking real nice! Good Job!

21. T. Scott

T. Scott

22. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Damn that sucks, hate to hear that man! Looks like you got it figured out now though. Looks like Ill keep bangin on mine trying to straighten it out.

23. here's another problem with the front too, it took a beating in a garage cave in a few years back
    frontend.jpg 41chev003.jpg 41chev009.jpg
    and one of the roof

24. I spent the day making the front section of floor and wheel tubs, I don't own a brake so backyard techno was the word of the day.
    I used a couple 1/4 in thick angle iron sticks as my brake and of course hammer, knees,hands whatever it took. That 18 guage is some tough shit, that heat didn't work so well either.

both sides bent, this is the inner wheel tub

trimmed for the radius and hammer n dollied a lip to attach the tops to

100_5359.jpg 100_5361.jpg

25. 100_5362.jpg 100_5364.jpg Cut out the tops using a cut off wheel and put a 30 degree brake on the end to tuck under the main floor. The fit is really close and I just need to weld it together tomorrow, my back has had enough for the time being.
    under side

26. Got a bit more time in, between being Mr. Mom, welded it together and added seam sealer and paint. Probably let someone else paint the outside, I'm a hack at best..lol

100_5366.jpg 100_5386.jpg

27. A little update on this, tank and battery mocked in there and a look at the fit.
    100_5418.jpg 20160601_190043_zpsc8w4ziqw.jpg 100_5418.jpg 100_5666.jpg
    had this thread going about where to put the plate http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452735

I decided under the rear, but this is how the rear turned out. The rectangle in the middle of the pan under the tailgate is chevrolet script I cut out of a valve cover, it will be flush after the body work is complete.

brEad likes this.
  28. 102_5909.jpg 102_5915.jpg View attachment 3681419 She was a little low, my lower A arms were below parallel with a spacer wedged in there.

I like that low in front look but wanted to fix the problem so I put in some new springs, which turned out to be way to tall.

I pulled those back out and chopped a coil off and here is how it sits, I'm not sure if I'm going to trim it some more after seeing it outside. I won't do anything until next spring when they have setteled down to ride height.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  29. 102_5923.jpg 102_5922.jpg 102_5925.jpg 102_5928.jpg 102_5933.jpg Made the filler panels between the bed and running boards today. They turned out good for the tools I use, one day I should get a brake.

Paper to steel, beat with a hammer and then bend it in a doohickie, love these hands on projects.
    the doohickie
    test fit
    same thing on the other side

30. Philip you have become quite the master of metal manipulation.