Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 40 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anythinggm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Westco48

Westco48

2. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

yeah DDDDDOOOOOOOOOOO IT

Keeth is not one to give in to peer pressure....... usually!

4. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Joe, your not helping..My money tree is stripped clean..gonna have to wait until next season..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. WOW! that gauge restoration really is top shelf! back in the early 90's i had the my 36' plymouth cluster copied at the tech school i was going to and at the time they used "offset reprographics" i think. one of the local business guys would have done it for around $75 bucks for 12 copies and i told him how much for just 1? he said $75 because 12 was the run size. i'll post some pic's of the stuff i still have.

6. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Nice that my next project a 40 or 41. Looking forward to this build...

7. silverdome

silverdome

Where did you get the guage glass done?

8. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Folks, go here!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=110865417260
    This is the only guy I've seen who does the 40 plymouths litho glass and he stated it's the most complicated glass he does...and I believe it.
    He ships it wrapped in tissue surrounded by cardboard...mine arrived without any issues. You get the center speedo glass and the two sides for all 5 gauges.
    The ebay auction and his website price is the same...I can say it's worth it if you want an oem looking dash.
    For some reason I don't have his website in my faves..I "did"...but you can PM him through ebay and ask for his website. Sorry I don't have it handy.
    He tosses them up on ebay on an infrequent basis, so it's not like your going to loose out if you don't get one now...tax returns next year bud?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

10. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Great weekend of progress on the car.. Got the new 67 Coronet rear end installed and bolted down. Installed my Paul Curtis transmission adapter with new clutch and new bell housing mounts. Then I installed the S-10 5speed trans, Plymouth was forward thinking on there removable floorboard idea, sure has made it nice to access everything from the top side. Trans looks great in the car and the shifter location seems to be perfect..Gonna be working on a rear trans crossmember next just for the added extra support, and having a driveline made.Then I should be drivable again..Which is a good thing, Billetproof Washington is just around the corner..

Attached Files:

11. farmer12

farmer12

Nice work on the transmission! Before you know it you're back on the road!

12. nutajunka

nutajunka

That trans. swap looks great.

13. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thanks guys..Should be a huge improvement over the stock 3speed..But I will admit I will miss the column shift a little. I always found it fun to have the "H" pattern column shift..But, I will love the ability to do interstate speeds and not be strangling the life out of my motor..

14. Westco48

Westco48

So with this adapter it's as easy as that...just bolt it together, are you gonna run the stock linkage or ??

15. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

The adapter kit comes with an extended pilot bushing and a clutch disc from a Chevy vega..You do have to have a machine shop mill two items to work together, unless you have the machinery to do it yourself, that would be the "ID" of the Plymouth's throwout bearing collar and the "OD" of the s-10 throwout bearing retainer..You continue to use your stock Plymouth pressure plate, throwout bearing, stock bellhousing and pedal linkage as original..

Attached Files:

16. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

17. Westco48

Westco48

I was about to ask where'd you get the adapter, thanks for the link...the more I see how simple this swap is the more excited iam to keep my flatty...in the description of the adapter it says you may have interference issues with the crossmember did you have any?

18. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

That is going to be nice. I'll bet the flathead feels way better with five gears behind it. Your '40 just keeps getting better!

19. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

No issue with the 40 crossmember..However you do have to take a small chunk out of the passenger side bellhousing rubber mount..If you look at the pic i posted of the adapter mounted to the bellhousing you can see the cut I had to make..

20. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thank you sir..

21. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Cant wait to see this at billet proof unless i check it before,
    either way looking great!

22. Westco48

Westco48

Hey, your fingernails and cracked skin full of oil look like mine.:D

23. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Yep, if they aren't stained with grease and cracked then Im not doing it right..LOL.. These old car are caked with grease and grime..

24. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Looking awesome!! Nice progress for sure!

25. plmczy

plmczy

26. That thing is stunning!!! Love the car.

27. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

So..... ready to drive this car..just waiting on the driveline shop to make the driveline for it..In the meantime I'm setting up the new rear brake shoes, cyl's, and hardware. Fluids in the trans and rear diff..This weekend gonna try and fit the floorboard back in and the needed mods to clear the new 5 speed shifter and trans housing..Clock is tick'n...

28. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Nice love these cars custom or stock yours is lookin good

29. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Pretty cool, I received a email from Butch's cool stuff where I purchased my rear lowering blocks and they asked if they could feature my car on there website with a before and after pic..So heck yeah..Now my car has some national coverage..

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/

30. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Very cool to be in Butch's...real compliment!