Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 40 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anythinggm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sololobo

sololobo

MOPAR or no car!! Ha Ha, I am not that goofy, but sure do dig the sweet lines of these coupes. Rock on man. ~sololobo~

2. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

So here is my proposed idea I'm currently working on..I will post more as I progress. I'm currently waiting on the bulb to arrive that I've ordered.. I searched and found the smallest dual filament socket I could find, which i purchased from Pico. it snaps into a 3/4 in hole. Which just so happens to be the same size as the hole in the back on the lens housing (see pics). This now left the bulb size to overcome to have clearance for the flat lens limited space. Again doing a internet search I found a motorcycle application of a compact dual filament bulb for flat lens applications..But like i said I'm waiting for it to arrive to confirm if it works..I believe it will. That just leaves a modification to the headlamp bucket to accommodate the depth of the longer bulb socket. which is no biggy, and I will overcome that next once I confirm the bulb works. The only other thing I will need to do is run a ground wire to the bezel to insure adequate ground to the socket. What do you guys think?

Here is the link to the bulb: http://www.procycledepot.com/DUAL_FILAMENT_MINI_AMBER_LIGHT_BULB-8-9477-85033.html

Attached Files:

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

That's exactly what I did with mine. I'll take a pic for you. I believe I drilled out the existing bulb holder to fit the mini bulb application, I grounded it to the bucket, and everything works great. I'm not running turn signals, so single filament bulbs are easy to find.

4. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

That should work, as long as the mini bulb is bright enough. On my '40 I used the 1157 amber bulbs, I had to cut and enlarge the little bucket to hold the larger bulb and socket. But the amber light looks great behind the clear lens.

5. powhatan42

powhatan42

Nice find for sure, I wish mine had started out so good...oh well. It is nice to see another '40 Plymouth coupe build. Best of luck getting her up and running. Subscribed!

6. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Working on this turn signal upgrade and since im waiting on the bulbs to arrive, I thought i would clean up some rust..
    One of my favorite peices of equipment in my garage is my harbor freight sand blast cabinet..its great for small item clean up..Best $100 buck investment. Here is some pics of its handy work I got done today..

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ENCOURAGMENT

Attached Files:

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

You should use gloves, or is that away to clean off the scaly stuff on your hands in the bottom left pic:D

Looks awesome Keeth!:cool:

8. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

HaHa Joe, and thanks

9. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Painted and ready to go back on the car..

Attached Files:

10. Very nice Keeth.

11. plmczy

plmczy

nice, keep up the great work.

12. nice car, good luck with the project.

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

Luck, Keeth don't need luck, he has MAD SKILLS!

14. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I just received my "mini dual filament" bulbs I've been waiting for. These will work great with my flat lens application. I will post a video when I have them installed. Here is the pic of one sitting next to a conventional 1157 style dual filament.

Attached Files:

15. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

16. Moparts

Moparts

17. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Put one side together tonight and shot this little video to show everyone..Everything worked awesome..So now I have running lights for cruising and turn signals..

http://youtu.be/PHQ0-daN9lg

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

Got your message, looks good. I think this info will help alot others. You should pipe in some BAM shuka BAM BAM music on those!

19. plmczy

plmczy

Yes that will help out alot, thank you. What are you using for headlights? Sealed halogen light or plastic housing with halogen bulb?

20. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I'm using standard sealed beam halogens..

21. plmczy

plmczy

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Getting ready to lower the front end thought this would help with accessibility of the front suspension..Getting fatman dropped uprights, Scarbird disc brake kit, and tandem master cyl upgrade..

Attached Files:

23. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Cool...and I briefly thought about all the motorcycles I had and wondered if anything could/would apply...shoulda went with that one!
    I'm headed for the combo too, but I'll try and swap the oem base fixture.
    I spied two lil screws holding the running lights socket in - now to find a socket to stuff in there and still line up with the lense backing plate hole on the headlight trim.
    LED bulbs might be possible so long as they'll fit through the .750 hole. I've gotta check the available depth later today...and make up some lense gaskets so the lenses get pushed all the way out for max clearance...less rattling too!
    Spent too much time today drooling over dash/trim painting stuff at woodgrain.com........there's got to be a cheaper way!{yeah, I'm a cheapskate!...trying to stash cash for a 4-5 speed mopar auto trans - and adaptor}

24. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Great clip... I love the sound of the Mopar flathead six. Makes me miss my Plymouth... alot.

25. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

Dear Anythin, A few years ago a buddy who lives in MO was trying to get his "a" finished to drive to the NAT's in L-ville....NOTTA Goin to happen so he and some friend took an OD 5 speed from somethinginstalled it his MOPAR Moah door... finished it in time and WAS ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE BIG GUYS FROM MO....Met him there and he said he really was impressed....Mayhaps it'd VERK for You !!! Check out the "inlinners" I really like your new ride !!! Congrats !!!! Cj.

26. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Well this weekends accomplishments where good. I was able to get the front supsension stripped off so I can get it all cleaned up and painted for the new fatman dropped uprights..For the rear suspension I installed the 3" lowering blocks, which looks much better..However its not the final end result..Eventually its gonna be much lower, just did the blocks for now so I can cruise it this summer until I can afford the 4-link and the other parts involved with that..Here are some pics showing the progress and the before and after of the rear end lowering..Hope everyone had a good weekend too..

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

That rear looks a lot better in the fender than before. Should also improve the handling. Looking good!

28. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thank you Farmer12..Its small steps to a big finish..

29. Nice thread! Subscribed and will steal ideas in this thread and links!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012