Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Looking Good !!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted. 4TTRUK

2. pinman 39

pinman 39

What color yellow is that ? I did'nt think your wife liked yellow cars (37 Chevy )
    Oh wait yours is a truck .Nevermind !

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

LOOKIN' GREAT !!!!!!!!!! Another sheet metal source is Northern Truck, in Michigan,...they have the lower cab pieces that fo behind the front fenders, as well as floor, cab rear corners, and complete beds, ....I used these items, in order to save a lot of time. 4TTRUK

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What kind of rear spring kit are you using?

4TTRUK

5. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

49 - 54 chevy truck front springs and hangers...going the same route with mine. Got my set from a guy parting out his truck for 50 bucks...

6. mj40's

mj40's

7. mj40's

mj40's

She will ride in any color of car I build. Never mind I see your from Boise!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. kimberallyclarkbis

kimberallyclarkbis
    from US

I have the same combination of cars you have. Like minds think alike? I have a '39 pickup in my pasture I have been trying to decide what to do with. Keep us posted on your build, I just might follow you.

9. mj40's

mj40's

My body guy wants to put the cab on the frame next week. Guess I better get the motor and trans mounted in the frame to make it all easier. Time to prep the motor for the install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. redzula

redzula

looks good so far

11. jay7262

jay7262

What did you use for the end of your steering shaft on the output side (bearing) did you shorten the shaft? I have a 40's coloum for my 29' A P.U. that I need to shorten and put a support bearing on the the output side.

12. mj40's

mj40's

Yes it has been shortened because the stock 40 column attaches to the steering box. I used a bearing that came close to fitting the column and 3/4" inner shaft size. I will be making some changes from my earlier post because I bought one of Limeworks shift dent kits for the 40 column.

13. mj40's

mj40's

It has been a busy day installing the nailhead and 700r4 in my frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Real kool! I like it

15. jay7262

jay7262

I'd like to see how the Limeworks "safety detent" adapts to a stock 40's coloum, if you have to buy the coloum I might be interested in your old one with the shift tube and arm. :) Post some pics of the swap to an original coloum

16. mj40's

mj40's

With the 99° temp in Boise today, I managed to get the frame over to the body shop to mount the cab. With four guys we managed to get her done. I have been anticipating this day for some time now. I have no excuses now for not getting things done. I'm very happy the way this thing is looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  17. mj40's

mj40's

In my very first post I showed pictures of the conversion of a car dash into this pickup. I'm also using the car column and not a pickup column. They are the same diameter and should work the same. I will be working on the shift dent conversion shortly. Here is a photo from Limeworks that should explain it's instillation. I have a friend that has his done and out of the car. I will post better photos after Monday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. mj40's

mj40's

Sure nice to have her back home again. A ton of stuff I can be doing now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Deu55

Deu55

Colour looks great , love the white firewall...

20. mj40's

mj40's

We are planning on doing the inner fender panels and underhood in white as well. It is a creamy white (Wimbledon) and blends well with the yellow.

21. Nice work!!! I can't wait to see the end product.

22. mj40's

mj40's

We both are looking forward to that day.

23. aldixie

aldixie

Subscribed and following progress. Nice work.

24. OSY351

OSY351

Just got on to this via a friend :)

looks awesome, keep up the great work :)

Steve :cool:

25. mj40's

mj40's

Been busy this last week working inside the cab mounting the battery and power supply. Yesterday I painted the heads and installed them this morning. Here is a little more nailhead eye candy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  26. Deu55

Deu55

Coming together real nice keep up the great work ,love the colors they all work together ....Rod.

27. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Your truck is Gorgeous. thats where the battery was on my 39 Ford pickup. I hated it and put it back where god and Henry Ford intended. I drove the truck every day for 17 years and it got jumped and jumped others

28. mj40's

mj40's

My other 40 pickup has the battery on the firewall and it clutters it up some. Seat comes out pretty easy with only 4 bolts. I figure I may have to remove it every 5 to 10 years. As you can see I added some jump posts just for insurance. I could have put it under the bed but figured it would be easier to service here.

29. mj40's

mj40's

I ordered a couple rolls of EZ Cool insulation from HAMB member Lobucrod. Mike & Kelly came through with my order in less than 4 days. My alliance membership gave me another discount on products. I decided today was a good day to get her done. Went easy and his product is great to work with. Two rolls of 40 sq feet each was more than enough to do the whole cab. I had a couple cans of high heat spray glue around and it made the job go quickly. I'm happy with the look and hope it's ability to keep things cool and quiet will work for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes I'm a pansy ass and that is a heater! When I was laying out all my under dash stuff I welded studs to the firewall to mount plates for everything. The one on the left is for the fuse panel.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  30. mj40's

mj40's

UPDATE: Things have been going slow on the pickup. Wife made me take another vacation. I have the motor all buttoned up now and working on all the little things in that area. Blasted the stock headers and coated them with Eastwoods aluminum coating. That worked well and looks good. I had a problem with clearance with the Moon valley pan and the stock intake. I ordered a set of intake flanges from Hells Gate Hot Rods (alliance vender) and used those as a spacer and it gave me the 3/8" need to clear. Mounted the stock power steering pump and it will set some where in the middle of my fender. Ordered a bracket to use the GM type II pump. Not the look I wanted. Yesterday I built a bracket to mount the alternator to the passenger side. My body man is coming along well on the front sheet metal. He is painting the hood and inner fender panels today. Fenders and running boards next. I need to rebuild the carb and this thing may see some life.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011