Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I want to redo the brakes on my '41 this winter. MII front Ford 9" rear. What master cylinder and proportioning valve do you plan on using?

2. Good progress. Subscribed..keep us posted.

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Looks good. Glad to see your pic's start working. Love to follow these threads.
    To me nailheads are the coolest hot-rod motor out there. Gary

4. mj40's

mj40's

I picked up the pedal kit from MP Brakes that was made for the 35-40 Ford frames. It came with the 7" dual booster, master cylinder and combination valve. I wasn't impressed with the pedal to booster alignment. I had to cut and adjust the linkage so it would run true to the booster. The shaft sleeve also was bored crooked and I had to build a new sleeve. When I notified them of the problems, they simply told me I could buy another one and it may be better. Cheap crap from overseas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. Ice man

Ice man

Love the Buick in a 40 Pk Up. Iceman

6. great build! sure is a drag when these fucking vendors pass off shit like this but that would put the "watchdogs" like you out of a job!:rolleyes::D these guys would shit if you sent them a bill for your time fixing their substandard product.

7. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Very nice work!

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for pointing out the poor quality of the MP Brakes kit. I had planned on using them on my next project but if their stuff is crappy, no way. Thought they were American made.

9. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Thanks MJ. Now I know what NOT to use.

10. George G

George G

Thanks for posting. Great info on using a nail head. That tranny is huge!

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this is a nice build i like the engine choice , should be a fun ride when finished

12. George G

George G

Where did you get the tranny adapter?

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great pics; I wish I was going to be home this winter to work on mine. Maybe I'll do a build thread in the spring. I'll be following yours this winter.

14. mj40's

mj40's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like the build is going good. thanks for sharing. I'm collecting parts for my 40 pickup

16. Deu55

Deu55

Looking great will be watching build...Rod.

17. mj40's

mj40's

It's not that bad. Just a 700r4. The adapter did set everything back by 1 1/2" but from where I set the engine it will clear the steering, distributor and had to do no firewall and floorboard work. Just had to massage the floor cover a wee bit.

18. mj40's

mj40's

After hitting it hard the last month or so it seems as I'm going backwards today. After mocking it all up and checking it twice it all came apart again. I finished up all the welds on the frame and it goes to the powder coater soon. I just need to decide what color. The body will be a soft yellow. Any ideas on frame and engine color? I would paint it but it's getting too cold to paint outside now. Besides I'm told that powder coating is cheaper.

19. George G

George G

That eelco adapter looks much thinner.

20. mj......look'n great, thanks for taking the time to post! Gloss & semi gloss black on the frame, maybe paint engine same as interior color? OH, your pictures are nice & big.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Excellent build on one of my favorite classic rides. I have a pal here with a 40 pickup and I love this particular truck, they have sweet lines. Love the nailhead choice and proud of you on the shoulder belt install. Best of luck with your balance of this bad boy build. ~Sololobo~

22. mj40's

mj40's

I guess I just got spoiled with my late model and have installed shoulder belts in 3 of my rods now. The wife made me do it!

It is but that is one of the changes they made recently in the design. I guess the old one wasn’t working for them.

Black sounds good but I don’t think I want a white motor.

23. Dirk35

Dirk35

Thats a shame your brake bracket didnt fit. I used the exact same setup you got (about 6 years ago mind you) and mine fit perfect.

Having said that though, I just bought a master cylinder and booster (under dash for my 49 F1) and asked for the Ford one and the Corvette one showed up in the mail. I had to totally rebuild my pedal bracket or pay to send it back.

24. mj40's

mj40's

Well progress seems to have come to a halt. 8” of snow the other day and most of my work I do outside. I spent the last 3 days shoveling snow. Need to sell one to make room for some indoor building. I got the frame all done and ready for powder coating. That was messed up by a friend that was trying to do me a favor and do some dealing for me. I told him I would take care of my own dealings. He got his frame done dirt cheap and now mine is going to cost over $450 because he screwed the coater and he wants to make up for his loss. I did order me a new bed though. I’m going to catch hell for this one from the H.A.M.B. crowed. I bought it off Ebay (Strike 1) from the leased liked banned member of the H.A.M.B. (Strike 2) I did not win the high bid and was third down in line. I got a second chance offer for my bid that I could not pass up. Suppose to be here in 3 to 6 weeks. At least I paid by PayPal and can get my coinage back if the deal goes south. He has a 100% rating with Ebay but I won’t hesitate filling if it begins to look bad. (Strike 3, he's out)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  25. I have a soft spot for 40 Ford p-ups, like many here on the HAMB - I like the engine choice and I like your frame mods to accept the 700R4 - nice and clean. I also have one coming together - I hope to have it done by next summer ....

Keep the updates and pics coming - looking real good

Attached Files:

26. mj40's

mj40's

TomT, what are your plans for your 40? Your's looking good as well.

27. Kenny DFW

Kenny DFW

I see 'em all fine - crackheads.

28. mj40's

mj40's

Photos fixed long time ago but thanks for the bump.

29. putz

putz
    from wisc.

great build , like the hinge set up speaker cover,where did you find it ? i bought my box off ebay from a guy that repops , took 4 MONTHS !!!!!!!! to receive and than had to wait for stake pockets , the old back order story , the guy was out of col. ,hopefully not same . looking forward to more photoes . thank you

30. mj40's

mj40's

The stash box came from Hot Rods by Dean, http://www.hotrodsbydean.com/#/40-stash-box-standard/4530728282