Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mj40's

mj40's

That's the plan. Hope to have it ready for a March show here.
    Bringing the hot rod? Let me know when you get here and I will give you a schedule of events of car stuff in Idaho. Lots going on here. mj40's

2. mj40's

mj40's

Today’s progress. I finished up with the wood finishing work yesterday and couldn't wait to install it. I put 3-4 layers of pure tung oil on the wood on both sides. The sub floor was done several months ago. I like to put a layer of roofing paper between the base and finished boards for a moisture brier. It went together quite well. I will need to find some longer stainless carriage bolts for the side rails but my measurements were right on. There will be a SS strip to finish off the showing edge. No it is not a kit!
    [​IMG]

3. Very nice!! What kind of Wood did you use, beautiful grain & color!

4. mj40's

mj40's

White Oak. I spent today tightening the 44 bolts in the bed strips. Not all of them were easy to get to.

5. mj40's

mj40's

I decided the only way I was going to get anything done was to walk away from the pc for awhile and go to work. I have gotten a ton done this month and the end is looking close. Just to boost the energy I entered it in the Boise Roadster Show this year along with my coupe. 75 year thing. Interior is all trimmed out now except for the door panels. Mechanics all looking good and most of the sheet metal is on and fit. Still have the front fenders and bumper to install.
    Just put the S-10 seat in the pickup project. I suspected it would be a little crowded to the steering wheel but covered it in the usual way anyway. After setting in it I soon realized I needed to: 1. Loose weight or 2. thin up the back rest for a little more room. I went for plan 2 and a lot easier to accomplish. My seat was a foam covered frame work so no big deal. Shaved a couple inches off and a lot better now but still should loose a few pounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

MJ

GREAT PROGRESS ON YOUR TRUCK!!!!

LOU

7. I think you hit a home run with the color combination and wheel choice,,the truck looks perfect! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. mj40's

mj40's

Today progress. Amazing the doors fit just like they did when we were doing the body work.
    [​IMG]

9. I'm always glad to see an update on this. Thanks.:)

10. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Looking FANTASTIC!!!

Can you elaborate at all on the process your painter used on the steering wheel? I'd like to do the same thing to the spokes on my wheel...make them match the body color like you did. I'm curious about the prep and such.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  11. mj40's

mj40's

The wheel was Limeworks 15" wheel. He just scuffed it up so the paint would stick. Primed it with high build primer He masked the ribs off so there would not be too much paint build up and loose the grooves. Then he shot the white first. Masked it off again and shot the yellow. At first I couldn't decide if the wheel should be yellow with white ribs or white with yellow. I decided the later would follow the colors of the dash better.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    40fordtudor likes this.
  12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

love watching your progress

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice --love your truck-like watching the progress as well

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. mj40's

mj40's

I have been thinking about pin stripping lately. On this build I don't think I want any thing bold or too graphic. Just something that blends in and mellow and sticking with the 60's look & style of stripes. I defiantly need to do something around the Ford script and V8 on the tailgate to make it standout a little more. I really don't want to get carried away with stripes everywhere. Maybe some around the headlights, dash, bed pockets and not sure where else. Not sure what colors to go with and still stay mild. I have used gold in the hood and grill emblems, tan on the frame and white elsewhere. Maybe a burnt orange and white combo. Tans may be good. No reds, orange or bold colors. Any thought from the HAMB?
    [​IMG]
    Just for thought or design.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Tanks so much for that information. I think we have the same wheel. I plan on doing the ribbed areas on the spokes to match the body of my truck. I got a little scrape on m right front fender last summer and the fender is going on for repair in a couple weeks. I will get the wheel ready and send that in too.

16. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

When I had my '62 F-100 pin striped the painter just outlined the block letters on the tailgate to accent the 3D look. Very subtle.

17. mj40's

mj40's

It was a sunny day in Boise today so I rolled the truck out to look at it under different lighting. Neighbors liked what they saw. Didn't think I was going to get anything done. I cleaned the shop and later my painter stopped by and put a little polish to the cab. What a difference. He will come back later to do the fenders and hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looking so nice:)

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your truck is just beautiful. If I were to do any tasteful pin striping the tan of your carpet would enhance rather than overpower the details of your truck. It's always better to do too little than too much IMO.

20. Beautiful truck.

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

22. mj40's

mj40's

22 day count down Yikes! Waiting for UPS for door parts so I cut and fit the door panels today.
    [​IMG]
    Plaque from my younger days. Still had it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have never been a fan of yellow, but your truck is just beautiful Mel.

24. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks all! It means a lot. I owned a yellow 73 Ford pickup once and as long as the wheels were clean the truck looked great. It is a much softer yellow than the photos show. I have found that if you use other colors to blend in it takes away the blind factor of yellow. Even though you should be able to see it coming miles away and that can be a good thing, unless you are being looked for. :eek:

25. mj40's

mj40's

I'm hoping next week will be my productive week. A good friend came over today with his alignment equipment and we put a quick alignment to the front end. Everything seemed to come into measurements real well. I have a pin stripper coming to do something to make the Ford & V8 script pop a little. Glass man should have that cracked glass replaced. My original painter quit his job with Charlie Hutton and is back helping me finish the paint and hope to have the front fenders buffed out and installed. At this point things are going fast but feel I'm missing something. The last couple days I have been working on the doors and installing all the channels and latches. I'm real happy the way they close and fit now. My arms are all covered with cuts and scratches working inside of those doors through a small inspection hole. I did have a tetanus shot about a year ago. I will be working on the door glass next and I can finish up the door panels. I need to put her up on a lift and go over a few things underneath. Much easier to get to some bed bolts that need tightened. I'm thinking it is about time of doing a lap around the block. That should get my smile on.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Very nice , will look for it in Boise . Maybe we will get a chance to meet. Jack

27. brady1929

brady1929

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Er, while you're out taking that trip around the block... would it be too much to ask you to stop by and pick me up in Smithfield, VA? :D
    I would really like to see it and take a ride.
    Thanks,
    Al
    Anybody else?

29. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I'll go along. Swing by SoCal, I'll be on the curb waiting.

30. mj40's

mj40's

Another set back today. Several months back I had a friend cut and buff two new side windows for the doors. I pulled them out of their box today and found they are of green tint and all of the rest of the truck is clear. The sample pattern I sent him was clear. You can get away with green on the front glass but I think it would look strange to just have only the door glass with a green tint. I will talk to my local glass man and see if he has any in stock. He was to fix my front glass last week but found him in Arizona today. Glass has been a problem for this build. I'm on my 3rd set for the front. Now 3rd set for the sides but hey the back glass is good.