Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks for all of the support I'm getting here. Yes people are more important than cars but for me this hobby is my savior between those ruff times.

2. b-bob

b-bob

I agree, take care of your folks. We can wait untill the time is right for you to get back on your pickup. Take care of yourself too.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I hear ya, sometimes just swinging wrenches takes the stress right out of person. Or at least until a wrench slips, you whack your fingers hard and say words your preacher would probably not approve of.:rolleyes::D

4. Thanks mj40s for your build thread. I have read and subscribed to it. God bless you and your family. My thoughts and prayers got our for you.

For those asking about re metering your powersteering pumps for the difference between a Chevy Rack and a Ford Rack, I had to adjust my '34 Chevy sedan because the metering was just too twitchy. On my '41 Ford Pickup I have NOT had to remeter it, the folks at Detroit Speed Equipment can usually help in this area. Nice folks to deal with:

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1970-1981%20Camaro-Firebird-Products/1970-1981-cam-fire-strng.html

5. mj40's

mj40's

Things seem to be getting better. I have both parents here in Boise now. Dad in a assisted living unit and mom across a parking lot in memory care. She still wants to beat the crap out of him but he has a neutral corner to go to now. If that don't work I will move him across town closer to me.
    In my spare time I have been working on this 62 Nova convertible for the wife. It's about ready for spring and I will get back on the 40.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. HEY mj.....great to see you back on the HAMB! Looking forward to your future posts on the 40 PU.
    We are still dealing with my wife's Mom & Dad, 88 & 91, it's a tuff job for sure!
    cw.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Glad life is settling down some. Went thru the same things with my folks during the past year or two. They both passed in Jan. Glad to be past those days, on the other hand, missing them. At 94 and 91 they made it a long time and were ready to move on. Once a hospice nurse suggested looking up the death process it gave us great insight into what was going on. Great little Nova.

8. mj40's

mj40's

You know what they say about plumbers, painters etc and getting their own projects done! Well I was a furniture upholster for 40 years and have done several autos for friends and myself. I always seem to struggle with the start-up process. Once I'm into it nothing stops me. I guess the feeling that everyone local knows what I do puts the pressure on me to do a bang up job. I know I have the ability but always seem to shy in fear of failure. Car people can be brutal in my area. Screw it, most of them pay to have theirs done anyway. I had some time this last week and decided to start on the S-10 pickup seat transformation. The seat foam was a bit worn on the drivers side so I ordered new foam and cut it up to ft the frame. I had previously narrowed the frame by 2+ inches at the front corners so the old foam would need to be cut down anyway. Might as well start with the new. I think I have come up with a pattern that will fit the style I'm after but that can change at any time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the pattern I keep coming back to. I will make a few changes but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. OSY351

OSY351

Loving this truck, keep up the great work..... summer is comming

Steve:cool:

10. Trickster

Trickster

Thanks for the thread ur trucks lookn great.

11. chubbie

chubbie

12. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

The seat frame looks great, and that Nova is sweet! Good luck with your parents!

13. agshelby

agshelby

What a great build - The interior looks great, too. Nice work.

14. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks everyone for the concerns!
    The Nova goes in for some paint touch up tomorrow and should have it together in time for her retirement party this month. It is a hoot to drive and she will have lots of fun with her. Then I can get back to my project full time. I really want to drive it this summer.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I was wondering how your pickup is coming along. From what I see in the last several posts you are awfully close. It sure is looking good. I hope all is going well for you.

17. mj40's

mj40's

I finished the wife's Nova mostly and took it to a function over in Baker City Oregon this week end. Fun drive! I have been block sanding on the pickup bed getting that ready for paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. WOW........beautiful Nova, awesome build!

19. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

The Nova looks great! I bet its's alot of fun to run around in. Look forward to seeing more pics of the truck. Maybe it will motivate me to do some bodywork on mine.

20. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Your Nova turned out awesome!

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Any updates on the 40 Mel?

22. mj40's

mj40's

With cold weather coming on I'm looking at cranking up the heat and doing the interior. I have been blocking on the bed and getting ready for paint. It has been a busy summer settling the parents affairs and finishing up the wife's Nova. It is a fun ride. It's time for me time! I really want the 40 done for spring cruising.

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Good news for us. Anxious to see what you do with the interior.

24. mj40's

mj40's

I'm putting my black 40 pickup for sale in the classified section. I need the room so I can finish this one.

Update: That was quick! In less than 6 hours, I had 4 very interested buyers and tinhunter pulled the trigger. If all goes well and the weather holds, it should up in Canada for the holidays. Big thanks to the HAMB.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  25. mj40's

mj40's

My pickup sold and should be at the border tomorrow. I drove it to breakfast with the boys Wednesday for the last time and now on to finishing this one. She will be missed but the new owner was excited to take over. Thanks, tinhunter.
    This is the only time I can remember her being on a trailer. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  26. Congrats on the quick sale! Glad that it's going to a good home.

27. mj40's

mj40's

My New Years resolution is to finish this pig this spring. Turned on the heater and back in the garage. Feels good! Next big thing is to get the exhaust in and fire the nailhead. You know the first time I hear it and nothing will stop the energy from there.

28. redzula

redzula

In the home stretch now get that thing fired up a filled up motivation tank is exactly what this build needs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. mj40's

mj40's

Off to the muffler shop. This may be the only time you see this one on a trailer. Knock on wood!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Looks great! One step closer. Good to see you posting, I've been wondering if you had made any progress lately.