Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 37 Ford pickup build thread by clips221

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Jan 14, 2011.

1. clips221

clips221

I purchased a 37 Ford pickup a few months ago and have been piddling along making progress and learning as I go. When I bought the truck it was a rolling chassis with the original front end and rear end. the cab is all there with the doors just kinda hung on it. Also included were the front fenders, hood and grill. the flat head engine and transmission was there but the engine was locked down and missing the top end. since then I have picked up 2 sets of rear fenders (both sets need attention but one set is better than the other), and a set of original running boards (in very good shape).
    I am in the process of boxing in the frame (the front end and rear end frame rails are completed). I've decided to go with a mustang 2 front end and a ranger rear end with Pinto racing springs. I have the front crossmember welded in and the front A-arms hung in place. this weekend I'm gonna attempt to fab up a set of hangers for my rear leaf springs. I'm using sliders on the rear of the springs.
    I have also purchased the engine and transmission mounting kits from chassis engineering (they came in yesterday). I've got a freshly rebuilt small journal SBC 327 with a set of 462 double hump heads I'm gonna run as well as a 350 turbo transmission.
    I'm excited about the build and am learning alot along the way.
    Will get some pics uploaded this evening. I welcome any suggestions being this is my 1st hot rod project build. :D

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Sounds like a plan. I'm watching for pictures. Have fun with you build. Stu

3. clips221

clips221

Heres a few pics of my build process up til now. So far just a whole lot of cutting, welding and grinding on the frame rails.

Attached Files:

4. clips221

clips221

A few more pics through 3-14-11. Hopefully we'll have a good n productive weekend.

Attached Files:

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

6. my37ford

my37ford

Man, that looks like my truck, looks like we are both at the same point in our builds. I'm just now rebuilding the rear frame rails, I had alot of rust damage where the frame and crossmember come together. I've got the front boxed and MII installed w/2" drop spindles, front end is done. Putting a 9" rearend w/parallel 4 link w/coil overs. Looking good, keep the pics and good work coming so I can see where you are at

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. Real nice work. Subsribed.

8. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

nice work clips221. i'm also on a rebuild of my 39 ford p/u. i'm just starting to install my rear boxing plates on the stock chassis. Thanks for the great pics for referance. i'm subscribing as well

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

Looks good.
    I built a 35 Ford PU with a MII front suspension.

Just to try to help you out, Make sure you move the front suspension back about an inch from the stock location or you might not be able to turn the wheels once you get the fenders on as they will hit the font lip of the fenders. While you got it where it is, Id go ahead and toss the cab back, bolt the grille on loosely, put the fenders on loosely, put the tires on and make sure the wheels are centered in the font wheel well. You HAVE to do it with weight on the suspension so grab a few 45lb plates from a weight lifter if you cannot put the engine in. Makre sure you put the 2inch dropped spindles in if you plan to get it to sit at a decent height. Make sure to set the rear end at ride height.

You can make up a little height with 14 inch rins instead of 15 inch rims, but that just brings your scrub line down.

Those couple of days of labor will put you light years ahead to ensure you got it right.

FYI, this suspension (in the attached picture) is setting back from the stock location about 1 1/2 inches. I really hope you dont have to cut out that front crossmember and spring hats, but now is DEFFINTLY the time to figure it out than when its all nice and shiney.

My tires would just barely rub the fenders on the back of the wheel opening the way its sitting. I should have set the suspension back 1 1/4 inches inshtead of 1 1/2 inches. I had a little over 4K miles on it like it sits, and no wear really showing on the tires....you could just tell it rubs and smell it when you turn sharp to get out of a parking space or in a parking lot.

I used 15X6 rims, 3.5 backspacing with a really low profile tire. I shouldve went to a 5 inch wide rim. I traded it off last week. You can see my build picts if they will help you at:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534675&highlight=1935+ford+pickup

Another thing, if you set your firewall back, put the engine in and build the firewall aound it.....That cab space is SMALL!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. clips221

clips221

I made alittle bit of progress this weekend. I had made some leaf spring brackets and tacked them to the inside of the frame, then found out the tank may interfere with the rear of the leaf springs. I wound up removing the brackets. Instead of either making a bracket or buying one to mount below the frame rail I cut the inside frame rail and the bottom out where the leaf spring is going to mount. Then I boxed in the cut out area so the leaf spring will slide up inside the frame rail. One frame rail is almost complete and the other is cut out.
    A friend let me borrow a chevy fiberglass engine block and we got my engine mounts tacked in place.
    Slow progress is better n no progress I reckon.

Attached Files:

11. clips221

clips221

I finished up on the leaf spring front mounting purches this weekend. Pulled the front end back off and flipped the frame upside down once again. I've gotta do some welding on the underside (I can't seem to weld overhead). While the frame is upside down I'm gonna cross measure and align the rear leaf spring sliders. I also picked up a pair of the wood cab mounts.

Attached Files:

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Nice work keep us updated

13. clips221

clips221

I got the rear leaf spring sliders welded and bolted to the frame this past weekend. Got the frame flipped back over and sitting on wheels. I haven't figured out what size tires to run yet but with the tires I'm on right now the ass end is sitting lower than the front end. Looks like I'm gonna have to run some 2" drop spindles on the front and still may have to drop the front of my rear leaf springs down some. Will post some pics tonight.

14. rcderocher

rcderocher

Nice build. I'm working on a 35 but you started out with a lot more than I did. All I had was the cab and it was not in good shape. Check out my build in my sig.

Keep up the good work.

15. clips221

clips221

Here's a few pics of the leaf spring sliders welded in place.

Attached Files:

16. Nice work, keep us posted!

17. clips221

clips221

A few pics of my radiator. Fabbed by the "Radman".

Attached Files:

18. 53choptop

53choptop

Looking good!!

19. I always wonder why they put the drain to the side...

20. MOTRUBL

MOTRUBL

We've got a TON of parts for '35-'37 Ford trucks. Let me know if there's anything you're looking for.

21. clips221

clips221

We blasted the cab and doors today. weather was beautiful. After blasting we went ahead and sprayed it with primer. Got back to the house and set the cab on the frame, couldn't stop there so i hung a running board, front and rear fender and bed side. I'm hoping to start doing the body work on the cab next weekend. I bought one of the Rebel wiring harnesses last week. It looks really good. Buying up parts here and there but still got along way to go.

Attached Files:

22. ~~Walts37~~

~~Walts37~~
    from Missouri

clips221 I am impressed with the work so far looking great. Keep up the good work and keep it fun. ~~Walts37~~

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

35-36 Inner fender panels

24. clips221

clips221

Well I've got all of my patch panels all the way around the bottom of my cab. Turned out pretty good. It's definately a learning process for me. I set my engine and transmission on the frame yesterday and am gonna hopefully get the cab set in place today to start trying to figure out steering, firewall mods, etc. etc. etc.

25. clips221

clips221

Here's a few pics of my progress. All of the bottom patch panels are done. Now I'm working on cutting out and patching pin holes and rusted out metal. the cab is set on the frame to check on clearance between the firewall and engine. Still got along way to go but making some progress.

Attached Files:

26. Burny

Burny

I have a set for you. Will be ready to ship in about 2 weeks. Still on my '37...

Clips- Build is looking good!

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Your thread caught my eye this mornin cause I just dragged home a '37 p/u myself. Not sure exactly where I'm going with mine yet.

You're making some real nice progress, clips221...awesome job!:cool:
    Keep the progress going and the updates coming!

28. clips221

clips221

Finally back on my 37 pu. I got side tracked with a 54 Ford Club Coupe and then 3 large hit miss engines to the collection. I did some rearranging this past weekend and got my truck back in the shop. Pulled the cab off the frame today and gonna concentrate on getting the frame completed. It's 3/4 boxed in, mustang 2 front end is welded in but springs, stocks, etc still to do, fat man cross member, 8.8 explorer rear end. Still gotta run all the brake lines, gas lines etc...this is my first build by myself so I'm learning as I go.

29. mangold

mangold
    from sacramento

Glad to hear you're back at it. I'd subscribed to this thread a long time ago and was wondering what had happened since. Thanks for the update and please post pics as you go.

30. clips221

clips221

got the frame painted this past weekend, now I'm gonna get the suspension back under it.
    [​IMG]