Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 36 truck,still cant get the look...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skyspop, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TERPU

TERPU

That truck needs 7:50 or 8:20 bias ply blackwalls in the rear and 5:50's in the front all on Ford Steelies with Ford Deluxe caps and rings. Or chrome Buick reverse with Pie crusts and Ribbed fronts. But hey it's just my opinion. And Yes Fenders would be Bitchin'. The American Standards on the rear also work well with 12 spoke fronts.

Tim

2. skyspop

skyspop

Mo and blue,I like both those trucks,my only dilemma now about running full fenders,is that I moved the frontend forward so much...I will try to find some 750s or 800 rears,I think I got some wide steelies comin like I said,also small problem,I put chevy front wheel patterns,early chevy spindles,with disc brakes,dont ask why,I knew it would be a pain in the ass later to find matching wheels.But I haveplenty of impala 14s steelies,some 5 inch,but like i said,at least 15s might look better up front.It has a 4 inch dropped axel..

3. F&J

F&J

Just a question, not a suggestion.. :) Since you are a 60s rod guy, is it possible the build does not look right to you because it IS fenderless?

I just never liked my 32 build style until last weekend when I found used front fenders. Before that, I did try just the stock rears, but it still looked wrong to me. or not right enough. :confused:

Now I am working on it full tilt because I actually like my build now. It looks perfect to me as I walk into the shop each morning. I am an early 60s build style guy myself. I really don't care if all the other 32's are fenderless; it's just not what I recall around here back then.

(I know you said you changed the front axle location, so I know you can't do front fenders.)

4. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Mine was built in the 60's ... gotta have the fenders!

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

front tires are too big and way too wide, get some fenton 4.5x14 slot mags up front with narrower tires and a taller profile tire in the rear will give you a more aggressive stance with a 60's style rake

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paging Mr. Lowe...Paging Mr. Lowe...:D

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you put a visor on that truck I will throw up on you.

8. if you figure it out show me. I'm not diggen on mine right now either. Mine has been chopped 3", fenderless allthe way around, no section, (Which i wish it was) full lenght bed, 2" or so droppped frt. axle, totally flattened rear cross member, 750 16's and 450/500 16's up frt.full hood, sides and splash aprons. i think the problem is that the cowl is so damn high and the bed is so low. This may sound hoaky but I think I'm gona mock up side boards and see what it looks like with maybe a 6" board. I'm thinking to give it the illusion of taller bed sides would change the looks drastically. The damn thing looks like an old man with a great big ass nose.

9. 72IH

72IH

My plan is to run 17" wire wheels and white walls on the front with the five slot wheels and some pie crust slicks in the back. So if you want to keep the rear go bigger and do steel or wires in the front and I think it would look pretty cool.

Here is a picture of what I am doing up front. Hood and grill is just sitting on the frame.

10. 72IH

72IH

Lets try the picture again.

Attached Files:

11. I was not going to post on this thread, as this is not my style of car. But, to each his own. That said, my question is, why are you using a picture of my car as your avitar?

12. skyspop

skyspop

If thats directed at my avitar,If you check my posts,I asked dean about two years ago about his truck,and using a pic as my avitar,I have a 28 rpu,that I was wanting to build with a lot of his tricks back then and still would like to,but its just sitting in a loft down in the 815 as of now.dean was awsome to respond and wish me well at the time..Its the baddest rpu Ive seen and someday would like to do something with all the parts I gathered so far.Now back to this,I like your response root,Id hate to make you ralph,when alcohol isnt the deciding factor,so I may just get that idea out of my head...

13. skyspop

skyspop

Wow,here we go,I was a little slow,certainly dont mean any disrespect,to you mr lowe,but as I said,I asked this of you a long time ago,before all the posts of the rebuild of your truck,If you would like me to change I certainly will,but could find the thread,it was a few years ago,after I bought my 29 at an auction...sorry if you dont recall.but as I said,it can be taken off.certainly not trying to indicate anything other than I really dig your truck.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  14. skyspop

skyspop

It was 1 1 2009 post 148.But that was a long time ago I guess,maybe your opinions have changed since all the things that have gone on with your truck since then,I will remove your pic you like,I just had found that particular picture here before I realised it was anyones that was here on the hamb,And was very surprised and pleased to read your posts at the time...

15. skyspop

skyspop

16. At the time, I assumed you were building the RPU. Now that you have built something totally different, I was just wondering why you would want to use a picture of my car, and not one of your own?

17. anteek

anteek

FENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too new tolook right without them. My $.02

18. I vote rear fenders with motorcycle fenders up front, smoothies or steelies, Having all one color is a big help, and ditch the stock valve covers and pep boys aircleaner for something with a little more style.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everything looks better with a hood IMO. [​IMG]

20. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

Truck looks cool.NO VISOR.Wheel and tire change would make a difference

21. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

take the picture of the truck put your hand over the back of the truck. front looks great!!! move your hand over the front half and look at the back half. something looks off. maybe taller and shorter bed? just my observation

22. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

What 'look', exactly, are you going for? Do you have a pic or an example?

The title of this thread is confusing since you built your truck differently than most other trucks that have the 'look', IMO. Anytime you stretch the wheel base with small wheels and tires, you'll miss the mark. Stretching the model A wheel base a few inches is one thing and alot of guys do it, but the '36 is 112" stock, not 'stubby' by any means! Pulling that out to 116" just makes for something that's clumsy and hard to get right, if not impossible.

Again my opinion, but I think wheelbase is the root of your problem.

23. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Another vote for hood and fenders.

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

my opinion, is it is to long, the rear axle needs to be moved forward and the bed shortened and made taller (filler panel to hide the frame and give image of a taller bed side. and the front and rear tires are to close in diameter. Plus for this look, they need to be tall and narrow and most run painted steelies or wires.. I think it could work unchopped.

25. I think if you bent up a pan to cover the frame and tied it into the bed sides it would go a long way. The back tires look too far back in relation the the bed side too...imo

I think the wheels are serviceable, but the tires arent cuttin it. If you can scrape up the funds i would ditch em both and start over.

Goodluck! You're close!

26. 72IH

72IH

Hey one thing I was told by an old guy..... When they were building their rods they would always try to center the grill shell over the front axle. Looking from the side. He says that when it sits that way all the wheel and headlights look "right". He says that when you move the front axle that this is a must do. You have to move the cab to if you run a hood.

Just a suggestion.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

what this bad boy needs is some WWW's on red smoothies and a tunnel ram....

28. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Truck looks great
    just bigger tires on back an flat black

29. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Photoshop gurus, please forgive me. This is about 5 minutes worth of work, but you get the idea. Bed shortened and taller, rear wheel centered-ish, steelies added.

Attached Files:

30. 117harv

117harv

There you go, nice photo job...great proportions:rolleyes:.