Register now to get rid of these ads!

my '36 Olds coupe project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstellhorn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Haven't seen this thead before now but would like to add Chile Phil has it right. That car is too unusual to not get the right front sheet metal and at least return the body to stock configuration. Besides, it's just plain exciting to see something other than another '32 roadster project.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

If anyone has the sheet metal sitting around for a coupe of hundred bucks I'll install it. It'd be cool also if they threw in a hopped up Olds motor also - if not I'll have to stick with my junkyard-find nailhead. The sheet metal will come in time - for now I'm just trying to get the thing on the road.

3. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Another crappy cell phone picture, but here’s a quick shot of the carb setup for my car. That’s twin Stromberg Aerotype carbs on an Edmunds 2x2 intake. Dick York of Dick’s Hot Rod place ([email protected]) did the work and did an excellent job. I want the carbs to sit up high, so Dick fashioned 2” risers and the cool velocity stacks. Great plumbing work all around.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

4. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

My car project is moving at a snail's pace, but some progress is being made. (My excuse is that I've been working on a '72 Nova for my kid - That car is close to being done - at least done enough for a kid car.) On my Olds coupe, Todd Walton of Walton Fabrication installed the nailhead - He did a WONDERFUL job!!!! I highly recommend Walton Fabrication.

Attached Files:

5. Buckndol

Buckndol
    from Kansas

I am moving along on my 36 Olds Coupe also. I started it last October. I have the frame done and the body painted. I should be able to put the body back on the frame in the next few days. I love that body style!

6. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

There's a few guys working on 36 Olds Coupes on the HAMB. It's good to hear of another one. Yeah, great body style. Best of luck with your car project. I'll post more info on my car when I'm able to do some more work. Send me some pictures of you car when you get a chance - [email protected].

Todd

7. madhman

madhman

Just picked this up. All original except paint. Flathead 6

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  8. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Fenders or not I bet it will still look cool. Can't go wrong with the Nailhead, but a Rocket in there would be quite fitting.

9. 1935olds

1935olds

Looks cool, if you are looking for the front sheetmetal you need to find out if your car is a 6cyl. or a 8cyl. car. The 8cyl. had longer fenders, hood and chassis. I have a 1935 Olds I have had since I was 14yo. It's a coupe with suicide doors and a rumble seat. I put a 1956 Olds 324 Rocket with the stock 4 speed Jet-a-way trans and rear axle. The front suspension is stock but I upgraded them to 1936 Olds 8cly. brakes. Keep us posted.

10. Wheels80

Wheels80

What a great find!!! it has been a while since you have shown any new posts, lets see them...

I'm a local from Cherry Valley.

11. Orn

Orn

Nice project!

12. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

It's been over a year since I've added a post, but I'm back at my project. It took a while to get the Muncie trans connected to the nailhead engine. I've never done it before, which is why it took a while. I also needed to find a clutch fork that would work with the Transadpt bellhousing. I ended up with a '60 Chevy truck fork. It's not quite long enough but the fork part fits my throw out bearing. I'll deal with the length when I hook up the pedal.

Working on the breaks and installing a new set of shocks.

Attached Files:

13. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Still working on the front suspension but I placed the intake and carbs on top of the engine for mock up and a few pictures to share. Hope you all enjoy.
    Todd

Attached Files:

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

Cool to see you are still working on it.

15. cryobug

cryobug

I built a 36 Olds coupe in my mid twenty's and drove it as my regular driver. About the same time ZZ top came out with their Eliminator album with the 33 Ford in their videos and everywhere I went girls thought it was the ZZ top car. We all know a 36 Olds looks nothing like a 33 Ford but it worked for me.
    Young, single and a good lure to get girls attention was fun.

16. $700 for an intake but can't spend the same for a front clip?

Locally a '38 Olds tudor has been making the rounds, when my buddy had it I think it was $1500, a couple weeks ago it was at a show with the next owner marked $2500. Have to think if you dig a 4-door will turn up that can be parted out for enough to keep the cost of using the nose way down - and if you run the stock front end the spare parts may be invaluable.

17. Good to see you are still plugging away; keep at it!

18. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

> $700 for an intake but can't spend the same for a front clip?

What the f does that mean? What an idiot. :(

Why would there be a problem running the stock IFS?

19. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Front breaks are done and reinstalled. Working on clutch connection. Added grille shell for mock up.

Attached Files:

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Coming along nicely. I know of a super rare 36 Oldsmobile 'All enclosed coupe' (Ozzie sedanette / fastback version) in a barn out of town. I've thinking about making an offer one day.;)

21. He means the front sheet metal clip.

22. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Thx. Yes - The front sheet metal. The point I was making was why would there be a problem running the car with the stock IFS exposed. Take a look at the attached picture - I think the stock IFS looks pretty cool.

Attached Files:

23. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Here's another view of the progress. Generator and fuel pump installed (and some other stuff you can't see).

Attached Files:

24. If that actually was your point, I guess there is no problem as such.

That on the other hand is a matter of personal taste.

25. Some cars are wasted on people.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. yonks55

yonks55

Very cool car you have! I was lucky enough to find one myself about a year ago. It came with a 264 Nailhead in it, no b.s.! I have done a decent amount of research on these and it is a lower h.p. motor, but they have a good amount of torque for their size and are good dependable motors. Check out nailheadbuick.com. This guy is extremely knowledgeable and has the best info I have found on nailheads - you will be happy with it.

Attached Files:

27. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Just getting back to this thread. Wow - Another 36 Olds with a 264 nailhead. Amazing.

Another mock up picture attached. Still making progress - Working mostly on the rear brakes right now, but finally got the valley cover installed. Needed to have it milled down a bit to fit without having the remove one of the heads.

Attached Files:

28. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Working on headers. The bottom half is a set I found at a junkyard cut down with the top half pieced together. Needs final welding. I will either wrap the top half or paint them depending on how my welding comes out. Other than a few companies selling lake-style kits, I can’t find anyone making nailhead headers.

Attached Files:

29. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

A few updates on my project. Radiator shroud and the radiator install mocked up. And the grille shell and headlights mocked.

Attached Files: