Register now to get rid of these ads!

my '36 Olds coupe project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstellhorn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Here’s the project I’ve been working on – a ’36 Olds three window Coupe. I found the car in a junk yard off highway 10 outside of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Redlands</ST1:p. The coupe was a halfway hot rod project that someone abandoned and then left outside for ??? years. The car had a 350 Olds engine with a 350 trans (both are for sale cheap if anyone is interested), no front sheet metal or glass. Somewhere along the line someone did some body modifications – shaving the handles, molding the rear pan, frenched the license plate and removed any rust that was present. I removed the running boards (makes it look a lot cleaner) and have done a bit of clean up, but really haven’t started with the body much yet. The engine I plan to run is also a junk yard find. I was checking out a small junk yard in <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pSan Bernardino</ST1:p</st1:City> and the owner told me he had a “bran new” Buick nailhead 322 in a junk car out back. I found the car and pulled up the hood and the engine looked pretty clean on the outside – but I was skeptical. I pull off one of the valve covers and sure enough – it looked like it had just been rebuilt. From what I understand the story is that the junk yard guy bought the car and some other cars from an estate sale. The guy who owned the car had the engine rebuilt and partway mounted in the car and that was as far as he got with it. As it turns out, however, the engine isn’t a 322 but rather a 264. I was disappointed in the smaller engine size, but I sure couldn’t pass up a vintage engine in such good condition. I’ve been collecting the parts necessary to bolt it up to a <st1:City w:st="on">Muncie</ST1:p</st1:City> 4-speed as well as collecting other parts for the car. Since I don’t have any of the front sheet metal, I’m planning on running the car without fenders or hood at least initially. The grille shell I’m going to use is from a ’34 <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:p</st1:City>– on which I’m going to mount a ’37 Olds hood ornament.

[Picture 1]
    ’36 Olds thee window coupe.

[Picture 2]
    1954 Buick 264ci nailhead almost ready for installation. I found a 322 four barrel intake that I’m going to use with a 500 cfm Edelbrock. Finned valve and plug covers from Eelco, rebuilt starter and generator. Not sure about the headers yet – I’ll use the stock manifold for now.

[Picture 3]
    Not sure about anyone else, but I think the lines of the Olds coupe look nicer than the Ford or Chevy.

[Picture 4]
    ’34 <st1:City w:st="on">Hudson</st1:City></ST1:p grille shell. Mother nature added the patina here as well.

[Picture 5]
    Olds air cleaner – looks pretty cool as is - and ’37 Olds grille shell. I think all that I’ll need from this grille shell is the hood ornament.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Pscott

Pscott

What a great find! :cool:What's your plans for a front suspension? Is that a "knee-action" set-up?
    Keep us posted!

3. Harris

Harris

Looking good man, nice to see something other than A's and Duece's every once and a while.

4. Please, please go to the Olds club meeting and find the front sheet metal. That coupe is far, far too cool to be a rat rod. Seriously, man, if I had room I'd try to buy it.

Here's my humble suggestion. Picture this: You go find someone who is restoring a '36 and has a parts car with the trim missing. Score the sheet metal and bolt it on, then fill the holes and make it match the body. Maybe use the '37 grill, as it's very cool. Trade that nailhead for a Kettering Olds (303/324/371/394). Paint it and put WWWs with Olds spinner caps. Sure could become a bitchen early sixties style mild custom.

There are more than a couple of people on the HAMB who are building these cars. Do a search, my friend. And look at what you have through new eyes.

5. Just Jones

Just Jones

Man, that will be such a nice rod - and very different from what everyone else is driving. And that nailhead is the icing on the cake, even if it is a small bore engine.

6. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

It has the original IFS with the knee action shocks. I'm keeping the suspension and already scored a NOS set of shocks.

7. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Chili - Thanks for the suggestions. My plans are definitely not to rat the car out, but to build a traditional home-built rod. I know I could ship it off to SoCal Speed or someone else, but I’m sure you know that’s not the point. The car might get front sheet metal over time and a nice paint job – but getting it on the road is a higher priority right now. I was thinking about keeping it all Olds, but I couldn’t pass up the nailhead because it’s in such great condition.

The wheels covers I'm planning on using for now are in the attached picture – original Olds caps in front, Moon disks in the rear.

<O:p
    Todd

Attached Files:

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I agree ... find the front sheet metal ... :D

9. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

The pic from deuce roadster is a 35 Olds. I had a 35 coupe one time. Love the converts and the suicide doore on the 35's.

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

11. Todd, lots of GM sheet metal might be an easy swap. Might be surprised by how cheaply you can do it. If respected, these old cars will outlive most of us. We are caretakers of them. Your car's a coupe. It's worth a lot more than a sedan. I'm going to keep posting to this thread in hopes that by bringing it to the top, someone will step up with the deal you need to put fenders on that Olds.

Where is Cherry Valley?

12. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Thanks for the help.

Cherry Valley is near Beaumont - which is about 25 miles down I 10 from San Bernardino.

Todd

13. I love the 35-36 & '37-8 Coupes. I agree that the lines look better than same year Chevy's too. They are so damn cool looking in stock form that I wouldn't change much other than altitude. I agree with Chili 100% on this one....score the stock sheetmetal!!!!!

But then again I'm an oddball and like PONTIACs.

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

We have one of those at the shop right now. It's an original survivor car. I was looking at it the other day dreaming of the Westergard days...

15. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

love the looks of it, get the sheet metal for it

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I agree with Phil, find the front sheetmetal... the Old's guys would go out of their way to help..

17. myke

myke
    from SoCal

cool project!

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The Old's guys would also try to hook you up with a 303 for it as well.... that would be bad ass...

[​IMG]

If I still had this one, I'd try to get it in there.... :D

19. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

It cost an arm and a leg, but I found an Edmunds 2x2 intake for my engine. The intake's in GREAT condition - with what appears to be the factory shine. It looks pretty cool just sitting on the engine with a couple of Holley 94s for mock up.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. I like the back view picture of your car. I could not help but think "Willys" when I saw that. Next, what would you think about modifying a '40 Willys front end to fit on there????............just my 2 cents worth.

21. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Would be one cool car if it had the front sheet metal. Still a good looking body though.

22. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Nice. I haven't been into fat fendered cars too much lately but that looks like it would be a fun car to build. So where in the hell did you find that intake?

23. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

I've had ads posted on four or five web sites for an Edmunds for a while now. A guy in Corona CA responded to my HAMB ad with the intake and I jumped on it. The guy knew what the asking price should be - $700 - and I paid what he asked. I was lucky I had the cash when the part became available. There's others out there, but not too many people selling them. Your best bet is to post ads, watch eBay, be patient and then jump when one is available.

24. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah, that intake you got is one of the more sought after nailhead speed parts. For some reason its just super cool. Good score. Keep us updated on your coupe

25. 36OldsEight

36OldsEight

I was looking for a couple of other 36 parts and I think that someone has a set of fenders on eBay - didn't look close as I wasn't looking for em.

Here's where mine currently sits - original straight 8 and all for the moment... still looking for inspiration and direction

Attached Files:

26. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

I'm getting ready for the engine install in my car, so I rolled it out of its corner to take it outside to pressure wash. While it was out I set the grille shell in front - I think it looks pretty good! (Sorry for the lame cell phone picture.) That's a 34 Hundson grille. (Needs a bit of work, but you get the idea.)

Todd

Attached Files:

27. Lamplighter

Lamplighter

That looks really good man. I have a 36 Pontiac coupe project that I just picked up, that has complete sheetmetal, but am planning on running it fenderless in the front most of the time. No one says you can't add them on later. I think with the overall big rounded shape of the car, it's a nice contrast to expose the front of the car. Plus for me personally, I think the front fenders give the entire car a heavy look, which is not what I'm trying to do. Looks great already, and that intake is unreal.

28. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

It’s been a while since I posted to this thread, but progress on my car has picked up again. Here’s some pictures of recent progress.

First is the grille made out of some expanded metal and a hand-shaped outer band. The outer band is far from perfect but from a distance it looks pretty good. I’m thinking I’ll keep it in glossy black for now – I’m not planning on painting the shell, at least not for a while. Look earlier in this thread for a picture of the shell - it's from a ’34 Hudson.

Next set of pictures are where I'm cutting out the old floor and replacing it with new sheet metal. With the old floor out I'm doing a bit of clean up.
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
    Last is the bracket I built to hold the grille shell. It took a while to get the angles correct.

I’ve also got a pair of Stromberg Aerotype carbs on order from Dick’s Hot Rod Place, which I should get in about a month. The carb will get mounted on an Edmunds 2x2 intake - see the picture earlier in the thread. My goal is to get the engine installed later this year and hopfully have a runner.

Attached Files:

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Nice find. I used to have a 36 Olds 2dr sedan. Most often those boxed in license plates on the rear only fit the modern 12" plates. If you want to run old plates, you may want to change the hole to accomodate 14" wide plates before you get too far.