Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My '35 Chevy Coupe Progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spike!, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Spike!

Spike!

Hey everyone!
    Its been a long time since I've posted any of my cars...a very long time. Some of you may remember this car when Charlie (FE02) built and owned it. Its a 1935 Chevrolet Master Coupe and I've heard it was an old drag car...at least the body was. HAMB draggers may remember this car hitting the wall in Joplin a few years back, but I assure you it's all fixed now.

I bought the car last spring after selling my '53 Mercury. I had been watching this car at shows and remember thinking it kind of looked like a 33 or 34 ford in the cowl area if you squinted enough. I know I can't afford a 33 or 34 Ford, so this car looked like it may be in my reach, so I asked Charlie if it was for sale, and, if so, how much. He came back with a fair price and my mind immediately went into overdrive trying to figure out ways to get it. The only way possible for me was to sell my '53 Mercury and recently installed Flat Head. Time went by and I called Charlie again to make sure he still had the car and if it were still for sale, which it was. I sold the Merc and bought the coupe.

I drove it home and it was running rough, so I went through everything, replacing what was needed. Now that it was running right I set to work on the changes I wanted to make. they included adding the zoomie pipes which required notching the cowl because of the engine set back, and changing the grille insert. I also got the other door working as it was welded shut for racing. Luckily Charlie had the hinges for the passenger door.

The engine is a 327 bored .030 over (making it a 331). The trans is a 350TH and the rear is a 10 bolt Chevy. I'm trying for a 60's drag car theme, so there will be more changes. I'm looking at a set of Hurst Cheater Slicks for the rear and the pie crust fronts to go with the. I may keep the Thrust D's or go with Chrome Reverse or steelies.

There's more but this is all I'm posting for now.[​IMG]

Spike

2. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Nice man, that looks cool now, cant wait to see it when you are done.

3. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

4. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

I'm diggin it...

5. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

dont whant to be a asshole but the car dont know what it is? a custom or a rod or a buteful street machine

6. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

7. Wow! Nice job, Spike. I remember Fe02 with it at the Drags. His ribs were sore and the car was banged up some. It looks awesome. I'll look for it at the Showdown.
    Bil

8. Spike!

Spike!

I spent the day trying to figure out your reply to my post. I really don't see it trying to be a custom or anything like that. I don't see anything on the car that would make it appear to be a custom. I don't know..maybe we're losing something in the translation? As far as a street machine? OK it may be a little bit, but that will be changed. It is a hot rod...

The look I was hoping to achieve for the car, and still have a ways to go to get there, was a 60's drag car look for the street. Exactly the car's pedigree from what I'm told, with the exception that I'm going to drive it on the street as often as possible.

I don't think you're an a**hole for stating your opinion, I'm just having a hard time trying to gather a meaning from it. I think my car knows exactly what it is...I thought my goals would be obvious.. guess I have more work to do.

Spike

9. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

looks good to me...

10. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Hay cool car keep doing what your doing. Build the car your way its yours make your self happy. Screw anyone that isnt glad you are happy. jim

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That car is pure HOT ROD and a fine example to boot. Any fruther changes sould be done only after careful consideration. Looks badass and with some more horsepower could EASILY back up the image.

Frank

12. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

the nicest looking 35/36 chevy coupes I've seen, there an awkward looking car with fenders . Ihad a 36 master couch 2dr sedan ,hard car to get to look right.yours is looking good

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

Lookin' tiiiight Holmes. Now drive it out here for some cheeseburgers.

I do think a nice 3 inch chop would make it just uncomfortable enough inside.....

15. Spike!

Spike!

Horsepower will follow soon. I have an idea of what I want already and who I want to build my next engine. MotorMikey here on the HAMB does a great job building street/strip engines and he will get the nod when finances allow. After visiting Mason Racing Ignitions, I really want a Magneto..and six deuces...

Spike

16. Spike!

Spike!

mmmmm..Scooters...worth the 13 hour drive...although I do have an east coast connection called Charlies close by..ask Sparkle how it rates.

Do you really think a 3" chop would look good? I mean, the thing has plenty of head room from the factory..even taking out the "bubble" would be a thought..can anyone "photo-chop" it?

Spike

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Damn nice hot rod..can't wait to see more!

18. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i had a 35 master cpe that was angle chopped 3 1/2 inches in the front iam only 5/8 if i wanted to see out the side windows i had to duck it was like tunnel vision. they are good lookin cars though,yours looks real good

19. I didn't know Charlie sold it or you bought it, congratulations.

20. Cymro

Cymro

Nice car, borrowed the pic from UK Hotrods site
    [​IMG]

Paul Waylings' car 1980's or earlier.

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Did you make any of the changes you mentioned above? I am curious to see the car in other angles a side profile and a rear if you have them. I like it because it is not something typically done .