Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '33 PU, a truck, a build, a story *Done For 2016*

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flowmeister, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Bader2

Bader2

Old car center in Langley don't have cloth wire?

2. The word is chagrin

cha·grin
    SHəˈɡrin/
    noun
    1. 1.
      distress or embarrassment at having failed or been humiliated.
    It is with much chagrin that I have to announce that I won't be making the trip to Austin
    for the LSRU.

Due to a multitude of factors, the decision has been made to cancel my plan to go.
    The major ones are my ongoing health issues and some new ones that have come up,
    Also the CDN dollar being in the toilet is a big one too.
    It costs $1.40 CDN to get a US dollar, so that greatly increases the cost of a 10 day trip.
    I just don't have $3000. disposable cash right now.
    I need to be prioritizing other things in my life right now, whether I like it
    or not.

But work on the heap has been getting done.

cactus1 likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here is a different word and a Prayer that I often use when life seems to be stacking one challenge after another in my path.

The word is serenity.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

I have followed your build thread admiring your skills and your wiliness and ability to show us some of your thought process as you tackled each project. I am sorry that your LSRU is not going to happen but I imagine that you will come up with a new goal and adventure that will keep you energized to finish your project.

Keep on Truckin,
    Sam Profit

bengeltiger, seadog, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  4. You have no reason to be chagrined man! The work you've done on this truck is fantastic and inspirational!

The roundup will be there next year. As Sam said, Keep on Truckin'!

5. Thank you for the kind words @The 39 guy & @cactus1

@Bader2 I'm not sure if Jim at Old Car Center has it or not, George Moir
    is closer to me.

As mentioned above, the work has continued.
    I attacked the box next. Started with the under structure, which consists of two
    side rails and 5 cross pieces including the rear most that ties the box sides together
    at the stake pockets.
    I had straightened the rear piece quite a while ago. It was fairly mangled, and the best way to fix it was to cut it, straighten each piece and weld it back together. Kind of a "if your tools don't fit the work, make the work fit your tools" mentality.
    The next parts up were the side rails, pretty much the front foot of both sides, on the top surface was rusted either heavily, or completely, so that was cut out and some 1/8th X 1" steel was welded on.
    The front cross brace was the same situation, so I just cut the top off and made a new one.
    I made little down step areas for the nutserts, as the original had.
    The second brace just needed the outer foot replaced.
    All of the braces were bent/ bowed badly, so they needed to be straightened as well.
    Perhaps there were one too many cows in the box at one time.

Once all that was done, brushed some Tremclad with hardener on all the mating surfaces and riveted it all together the next day.
    Then brushed Tremclad on the whole thing. 11311945_1521337904757787_1556831593_n.jpg
    11356772_853889981355287_634241270_n.jpg 11377899_1612376585671915_644891328_n.jpg IMG_20160201_161748.jpg IMG_20160201_213827.jpg IMG_20160206_095754.jpg IMG_20160218_114640.jpg IMG_20160218_114653.jpg

patterg2003, brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. I always thought that I would shorten the box on this truck, but when it came time to do it, I hummed and hah'd about it a thousand times. I looked at the million pictures of 33/34's that I have in my computer, probably a million times. I finally grabbed the death wheel and got on it.
    I shortened it 4 5/8th"s cause, really 4 3/4" just seemed too much.
    So I cut and welded the box sides, and also shortened the side rails, that was done before the
    picture above.
    There was bad rust under the front stake pockets, so a piece was cut out, and I used the piece that I had cut out to shorten the box side as my patch panel.
    Then all the holes were drilled in the new front stake pockets for the rivets, and I welded the little shelf bracket thing in from the old ones.. Brushed some primer on all the inner parts and spot welded and riveted them back onto the box sides.
    Next will be the front panel, which is bent badly and bottom is rusted out as well. IMG_20160210_142326.jpg IMG_20160213_110833.jpg IMG_20160301_164958.jpg IMG_20160304_161003.jpg IMG_20160304_164519.jpg IMG_20160305_104411.jpg

7. Once the structure was all together and the box sides shortened,
    my friend Jordy and I did a little mock up.
    My original intent was to run as a highboy for the first year, then get my fenders
    pounded into better shape and probably put them on.
    After doing the mock up, well... IMG_20160215_122346.jpg IMG_20160215_132911.jpg

8. bengeltiger and Flowmeister like this.
  9. Looks great with and without fenders.
    I have a hard time making my mind up.

AmishMike and Flowmeister like this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great job on the bed! I like the fenders Too!

Flowmeister likes this.
  11. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Sorry your plans have changed and i hope you make it next year. Maybe we will see you and your ride around locally this summer.

Flowmeister likes this.
  12. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Great looking truck! Looking forward to following along with the build. Sorry to hear you have had to cancel your trip have you thought about driving it to Victoria for Deuce Days? There is the Canadian Hotrod power tour heading down there. I'm joining the cruise in Calgary with my OT maverick, There is no way I will have my roadster ready for this year but I'm planning to have it ready for the 2019 show.

13. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just read the whole thread! Awesome, I love the hamb. You just motivated me to get back out to the garage. Thanks

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

The pickup is looking sooooooooo good.

Flowmeister likes this.
  15. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Looks great! What kind of red primer do you use?

Flowmeister likes this.
  16. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Your truck is looking great! I dig the fenders.

Sent from my LG-AS730 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flowmeister likes this.
  17. Thanks! @K13 @kiwijeff @The 39 guy @waxhead and @rob bob

@shopdawg Greg, Thanks, and we will definitely meet up this summer.

@Rob28 Thanks, I'm going to take the approach now of finishing the truck
    and then make plans to go somewhere. Deuce Days is pretty appealing though.

Thank you @slimcat7m3 I'm glad you found some inspiration in my thread.

and @oldrelics Thank you! It is just Tremclad red oxide primer with a bit of
    hardener added. I'm thinking you got another truck project brewing.

Jeff34 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. 2doorwagon

2doorwagon

Nice!! Had a 34 and miss it like crazy

Flowmeister likes this.
  19. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, nice job on the box frame repair. Talk about making chicken salad from chicken shit. Oh yeah, and I LOVE the fenders

Flowmeister likes this.
  20. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yep I do, it will be a bit before it moves into the shop though, its a '42 jailbar that dad dragged home a while back. I have most sheetmetal except for the LH rear fender. It will be lowered, 350 4 speed. Can you explain the hardener use with the primer? What kind of hardener is compatible with tremclad?

@oldrelics Thank you! It is just Tremclad red oxide primer with a bit of
    hardener added. I'm thinking you got another truck project brewing.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  21. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Those dirt track rear tires sure fill up those fenders!

The amount you took out of the bed looks perfect. Subtle, but it's there. It's good that you left the rear portion behind the fender still slightly longer than the front portion forward of the fenders so it still looks balanced. Sometimes guys take way too much out of the back and it makes the whole truck look like weird.

Since you've decided not to go to Texas this year keep going with the fenders and drive it there next year.

:cool:

brad2v, Flowmeister and Jeff34 like this.
  22. @oldrelics I just use a urethane primer hardener, since I always seem to have some of that
    in my cabinet. I usually go 4 to 1. Paint to hardener.

@Dennis Lacy , Thanks. That was exactly my thinking when I shortened the box.
    It had to be longer at the back, I didn't want the fender back edge to go past the front of the stake pocket. I'm pleased, and glad I did it.

I'm hoping when he rear fenders are actually straigtened out and bolted on,
    I gain a bit more clearance to the tires.
    The rear spring/ suspension may require some test and tune anyways, but I was quite happy with how
    the dirt trackers filled the fenders during the vice grip mock up.

23. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Wow so many Great Details!! Thanks for Sharing hope to see you Next year at LoneStar.. I am in on the Fenders..

Flowmeister likes this.
  24. Kelly, hang in there, there's always next year, your health will be better, your truck will be done, life will be good. You truck is cooooooool !!!!!!

bengeltiger and Flowmeister like this.
  25. patterg2003

patterg2003

Really nice work. It is a super looking truck.

Flowmeister likes this.
  26. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Your pickup is lookin fantasist! Glad you decided to run fenders sooner than later!
    [​IMG]

demmals7ytriht and Flowmeister like this.
  27. [/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of older Enamel hardeners if you want some let me know I can drop them off next time I am in town. (maybe this week)

28. Roger53

Roger53

Well the trip may be off but your pickup is coming along great. It's going to be sweet! Roger

Flowmeister likes this.
  29. Hi all,

Sorry for the break in putting updates here.
    I have been getting lots done, and will post some updates of that
    in the next week or so.
    It is going to be a Highboy for this year. I'd need smaller rear tires and the fenders are rough,
    I just want to drive it!
    Here is a few pictures for now. IMG_20160626_162809-2.jpg
    IMG_20160626_162515-2.jpg IMG_20160626_162357.jpg

30. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Comin along awesome Kelly! We gotta throw my push bumper on there so you can give me a hand starting the wild thing when you get'r on the road!