Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '33 PU, a truck, a build, a story *Done For 2016*

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flowmeister, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great truck and build. Good for you glad all is going your way.

Flowmeister likes this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I love every bit and piece! Good work.

Flowmeister and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

What a great build, and a truly inspiring story. I can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

Flowmeister likes this.
  4. Thanks Kelly! If I ever get my POS finished enough for paint I will bug you some more, haha!

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Wrong post sorry

6. brad2v

brad2v

Great to see a build thread, and a terrific story. Love the details like the castle nuts and cotter pins. Thanks for posting, can't wait to see it in person.

Flowmeister likes this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Excellent build. I've picked up a few tricks!

Keep it up!

Flowmeister likes this.
  8. Thanks everyone!

Part 15 Hoses, ignition wires and light it up

I really like the look of chrome pipes from engine to radiator, as it worked out, I had a piece of chrome
    1 1/2" pipe laying around for about 30 years, it was actually a piece of a Chevy truck push bar that never got used. So I cut it in half and rounded up some pieces of rad hose. I wanted to use thumb screw clamps and found some real nice ones called Breeze Aeroseal Clamps at Aircraft Spruce and Supply.

I bought the ignition wire kit from Hot Rod Company, I used the crimp/solder Rajah
    ends and also got the groovy brass knurled spark plug ends. The kit came with 90 degree ends for the distributor cap, but I wasn't liking how bulky that was going to look, so I salvaged all the straight boots from the old wire set and modified the crimp on ends to be straight.

Once all that was done, it was time to hookup a gas line up and light it up!
    I don't know how to post a video here, but if you click on my Instagram link
    here
    https://instagram.com/p/7Y09RnsRY7/?taken-by=kellys_restorations

It should be the initial startup video.

Or the IG link at the bottom of my signature for all my IG content

IMG_20151118_100626.jpg IMG_20151116_212959.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  9. Part 16 Gas tank, air cleaner

The gas tank I got with this truck was not all bad, it had a lot of thick black tar type gunk inside,
    and while looking inside with a flashlight I also noticed something with a tail.
    I took it to a local rad shop that steamed it out about 12 times and although it was 87 1/2%
    better than it was, it still had bits of black gunk stuck inside. I paid the guy and told him he could keep the mouse as a token of my appreciation.
    I remember seeing on @Mart 's thread where he decided to cut the top of his tank to really clean it out, so I looked at his thread again to see what I would be dealing with and started cutting with the death wheel. There was a lot to clean still inside.

I also needed to figure how I was going to mount my SW sender. I ended up making a bung from 3/16
    plate and leading/soldering it to the underside of the top panel.
    For my fuel supply, since the original hydrostatic sender was a poorly repaired debacle, I took it all apart,I blocked off two of the ports, cut the sender tube just below the flange as a vent, resoldered the pickup tube and installed it in the original spot.
    The vent on it is blocked off as it vents on the filler neck, but I liked the idea of having the provision there.

When I had the top off, I bumped out all the dents on the tank and once it ws welded back up, brushed it with semi gloss black Tremclad with hardener.
    I am running a fuel filter at the tank till the box goes on to make sure no crap comes out.

IMG_20150924_104057.jpg IMG_20150927_132636.jpg IMG_20150926_204751.jpg IMG_20151118_100406.jpg IMG_20150924_232206.jpg IMG_20151116_213035 (1).jpg IMG_20151118_100418-2.jpg IMG_20150926_234059.jpg

The air cleaner is built out of an old oil bath base and a air compressor air cleaner top,
    I had a vision of how I wanted it to look. Pretty happy with the result.

At the same time, I built the vent for the banjo,since now it was open drive.
    I had this in mind for quite a while. I drilled and tapped one of the side bell bolts and cut and threaded a piece of a thrashed hydrostatic fuel gauge brass hex tube I had. There is a tiny hole facing down at the end and I stuffed a little chunk of filter material inside to hold any oil back.
    I'll see how it works. I like the look of it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. Part 17 Cut the cord

So everything that had to be in place to drive it was.
    Being Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, it just seemed right.
    On the Sunday I fired it up and backed it out of the garage for the first time and drove it around the block,
    twice!
    There was a group of about 8 little neighborhood kids playing in the street with their bikes, when I came around the corner, they all moved to the sides and as I went past, they were all clapping and cheering, it was very funny and neat.
    Finally driving it was very cool, can't really describe the feeling unless you've experienced it.
    A few minor issues, but where as everything that gave me grief before, none of it seemed like a big deal now, just stuff i'll deal with.

On Monday, my friend Jordy came over, he has been a regular at my garage for a long time,
    and helped with various stages of this truck. I handed him my phone and we made some videos.

It was a great day! we also saw some of my "crew" :)

Here's 3 videos

https://instagram.com/p/8v9hPAMRUy/?taken-by=kellys_restorations

https://instagram.com/p/8v9xuNMRVY/?taken-by=kellys_restorations

https://instagram.com/p/-PRiLKMRco/?taken-by=kellys_restorations

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    brad2v likes this.
  11. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

A great build, a great story. Just found your thread and really enjoyed it. Wishing you continued success and good health going forward.

Flowmeister likes this.
  12. Part 18 Stop and look around, or Perspective is everything

So that pretty much brings this up to current status.
    There are still a bunch of things to do, and that list got formed rather fast.
    Finish door hinge repair, repair semi mangled hood, repair box.
    install glass, lighting wiring, build seat,....

Seems like a lot, but really it's easy to look at what is ahead and become bogged down.
    Sometimes you have to stop and look around and realize how far down the road you have already
    gone, to let you realize how close to the goal you really are.
    Building a Hotrod, or any other major project for that matter, takes a lot of time even when all else
    in life is going well. Throw in some adverse conditions and it is easy to see why things get derailed and sometimes never get back on track. Think of how many half built projects come up for sale. IMG_20151011_155504.jpg IMG_20151011_155535 (1).jpg IMG_20151012_131006-2.jpg

To me the end has always been to drive to the Round Up.
    My 33 and I will be there for 2016.

I'll keep posting here as significant milestones are reached.

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments!

13. Lookin' good man! A lotta nice work, hang with it. I'll be at the Round Up in '16 myself, with my '34 truck in my signature. Takes a while building these things in 'spare' time, but worth it. See ya there man!

volvobrynk and Flowmeister like this.
  14. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

15. Just read the whole thread. Thanks for posting this up. I'm sure it took a while to write it all up and to add the pics. You've done a great job with your truck! Wish I could see it at the Roundup next year. Keep posting as you put the finishing touches together.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Thank you! @3dnsouth , @HOTRODRONNY and @seadog

I'm going to do everything in my power to be at Round Up

I really appreciate your kind comments!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Outstanding work, love the stance, looking great so far. Will be watching.

Flowmeister likes this.
  18. Hope the health comes back better than the truck. The truck is as badass as badass can be. Thanks for the share. You rule !!!

Flowmeister and volvobrynk like this.
  19. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

awsome build <good health to you ,and the ride to Austin...!!!

Flowmeister likes this.
  20. GREAT build and better story.....Very nice truck on top of all that. I hope to get my 3 window build finished in time to make it to the Round-up also this year and would like to meet you.
    I hope we both make it in 2016

21. albertaboy

albertaboy

Haha, I'm from Edmonton so Gainers and your build is pretty close to home for me.Nice job. Subscribed.

22. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Great progress really dig this build a lot! Subscribed!

23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Yep,this is why Im here so much,great build ,love the detail.

24. Lookin good! Your's is 97% nicer than my old 33.
    33atspeed.jpg

Tuck and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Thank you very much guys!

26. Thanks @albertaboy , Quite the story to Gainers.
    Pretty cool to get some Alberta history.
    Too bad it is so rusty.

27. Thank you! @Tuck I'm really enjoying your builds as well.
    @Rocky Not sure about the 97% :) I've looked at that picture of your truck a lot.

28. Thanks @383deuce , It would be great to meet you at Round Up !

29. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@Flowmeister you know originally I had just planned on painting all of the parts on my truck like you did... to keep it simple... but then I took it too far and now I plan on plating the front end and some other odds and ends. I really dig that you painted all of your running gear.. makes me want to kick myself in the shin. ;)

30. @Tuck It"s hard to beat chrome, and that can get out of control fast.
    I had my spoon pedal and cowl vent handle done so i'd have some to look at.
    The black suspension was inspired by @CTaulbert 's roadster.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    brad2v and Tuck like this.