Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '33 PU, a truck, a build, a story *Done For 2016*

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flowmeister, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Such a great build Kelly! The fab work is fantastic!

snowroutes and Flowmeister like this.
  2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Awesome, and kick cancers butt.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Spanner Monkey and Flowmeister like this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome build. You have done the "when life gives you lemons make Lemonade "
    Am subscribed also and watch with interest.

volvobrynk and Flowmeister like this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

God Bless you !!!

So great to read your story.

Jeff34 and Flowmeister like this.
  5. cfmvw

cfmvw

Great story - and keep fighting the good fight!

Flowmeister likes this.
  6. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Looking Great Kelly. Are you shooting for LSRU 2016 ? Give me a call if you need a hand or need someone to drink beer with etc.

7. Yup, LSRU 2016 will be happening.
    Probably time for a visit/ inspection anyways Greg!

8. Part 13 Cab and bodywork

Back when I started on the meat truck, the thing was such a roach rust wise that the bottom 6" would need replacing, so the plan was to bodywork and paint the truck all nice, like I do on customers work.
    When I found this truck it looked pretty good all one colour and I hoped it was as good as the pictures in the ad showed. As it turned out, the truck has been brush painted at some point long ago, so I was leaning towards full bodywork and nice black paint.
    When my deck got reshuffled, my thoughts completely changed, all I wanted to do was drive this thing, and didn't want to spend a bunch of time riding a sanding block.

I really like original paint trucks, but ones that have what I consider 60% or better paint.
    I don't like fake patina, and I don't understand the whole left exposed welds thing.
    So trucks like Danny's fleet at Bruces Rod Shop, or Chris Swensons beautiful '33, Dennis Lacy's 32,
    well, you get the idea. Mine was never going to be that, but it could be one colour.

What was decided is any areas I needed to attend to would get re brush painted with Tremclad, which is the Canadian Rustoleum.
    There was some bigger dents that got bumped out, the cowl vent got removed, blasted, ep primed, and re spotwelded in, since half the spotwelds had let go. Lots of repair on the grill shell, and of course, the lower door hinge repair, repairing the farmer repair.

And that's it, that's how it's going to be. Cause really, I just want to drive this truck and not worry about a rock bouncing off it. I am pretty sure it won't draw any less attention without 100 point paint, although that certainly isn't a concern of mine, but more importantly,
    it certainly won't be any less fun or enjoyable without beautiful paint.

The underside of the floor got wire brushed and painted with red oxide Tremclad with hardener added, the firewall had a lot of holes and some cracks welded up, and it got sprayed with semi gloss black Tremclad with hardener as well.

I rounded up my trusty friends and we set the cab on for the last time.
    When I ordered the frame rivets from Roy Nacewicz, I also ordered the body mount kit and a bunch of other bolts. He is a great guy, with a great business, that sells great products. IMG_20150605_183418.jpg IMG_20150604_125316.jpg IMG_20150605_225234.jpg IMG_20150605_225256.jpg

9. This is really good.
    Question: Why did you decide to split the front bones if you are running a flathead; does the exhaust interfere?

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am liking this build!

11. Thanks @56don and @Hotrodmyk

My feeling is that a couple gotta haves on a Hotrod is split bones and a dropped and probably drilled axle. I may not have needed to, but love the look. I actually bought the @CTaulbert bung kit before I ever had something to use them on. I really dig the look of the early tie rod ends used that way.

Thanks again for all the positive comments!

12. Ausome, just ausome.

Flowmeister and volvobrynk like this.
  13. IMG_20140504_114952_604.jpg IMG_20140507_124255_243.jpg Part 14, Dash, Steering column, Wiring, and gauges, and such

The dash in most of these trucks is all ripped and torn at the column mount area and this was no exception. It had a chunk of angle iron bolted in to replace the torn away metal, the column tube was killed and steering wheel was rough.
    I made a patch for the dash and welded it in, welded up cracks around the mounting holes and put a reinforcement piece along the bottom edge. Initially I was just going to use flat stock, but after seeing how Cory Taulbert did his, I decided to copy, cause, well, he's a pretty smart guy.
    I used 3/4 x 3/4 square tube, cut diagonally to get a L shape and used a shrinker stretcher to get the shape of the bottom edge, then spot welded it to the bottom lip. I also set a bunch of 1/4 20 nutserts on the vertical edge to provide mounting points for various things.

The contributing factor to the dash ripping at the column drop is the lack of strength of the column tube. Being one to never throw away old Ford parts, I went into the shed and grabbed the column tube from the meat truck, being a BB, everything is larger and stronger. The column tube is a thicker wall metal, so the top flange on my steering box had to have the OD machined down, so the tube could slide over and get clamped. The BB also didn't have the groovy bell shape on the top, so I got out the press and through some trial and fail, managed to form an acceptable bell shape I could tig onto the tube.

I was really OK with the pickup column drop being broken, because the meat truck, being a BB used a 32 column drop, and it was nice and restorable, so I did. I love this piece, very complex, kind of an amazing piece of engineering. IMG_20150823_234643 (1).jpg IMG_20150612_124015.jpg IMG_20150614_100903.jpg IMG_20130425_110424_688.jpg 11272434_431853066988244_358130492_n.jpg IMG_20150616_203347.jpg IMG_20150616_002837.jpg 11374504_1434871470166885_1124100447_n.jpg 11272434_431853066988244_358130492_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  14. Part 14.2 Gauges

I don't have the money to be in the true vintage gauge game, so I would have to go with new with a vintage theme. It came down to SW Wings or AutoMeter Old Tyme Black
    SW for the win. Bought the 5 gauge package. I would have preferred to go mech gauges, but I only was willing to use so much dash space for gauges, having two temp gauges wasn't realistic, so I went electronic and put a 3 position switch behind the temp gauge to switch sides of the engine. IMG_20150827_193925.jpg IMG_20150831_194036.jpg 11925601_1493223710988353_906787960_n.jpg IMG_20150828_141212.jpg IMG_20150828_141303.jpg IMG_20150906_235738.jpg IMG_20150906_235543.jpg
    Initially I planned on using the stock speedo, but after having the oil and temp installed,
    it didn't take long to put the speedo in too.
    For gas and volts I was going to mount a panel to the left below the dash using the nutserts I had installed.
    This panel is from 1954, I mistakenly posted 1957 on IG
    This came out of my parents house, it was a wall control panel for the built in stove top, there were two of these on the wall, each had two heat dial knobs and a light to let you know the burners were on. They did a kitchen reno in the late 70's and I kept these and a few pieces of stainless.
    I always thought these would make a cool panel for a couple gauges. The shape works with the 33 square truck. I cut the holes and also mounted my start switch where the light had been.

The column tube, dash and steering wheel got sprayed in natures paint booth, I polished out a few aphids and put it all together, and in.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    bengeltiger, Blue One, Katuna and 7 others like this.
  15. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I really, really like your truck, Kelly! I especially like all of the thought you have put in your parts selection and the clever use of otherwise cast-off components. Like cutting up the center mechanical brake lever assembly and turning it into split wishbone mounts. That's rad!

I also cheated and checked out your IG account and saw they you recently took the maiden voyage. That's so bitchin', congrats!

I'm assuming it will not have fenders?

I also love '33/'34 trucks. My Dad has a lightly rodded '34 Pickup that we drive around quite a bit as a shop truck (has had it 20 years) and he also has a '33 Panel project that's under way. I plan to attack the panel full-force and do a project thread as soon as my '32 is back on the road.

:cool:

snowroutes, Jeff34 and cadillacoffin like this.
  16. looking good buddy!

17. Thank you! @Dennis Lacy and @Hitchhiker

Dennis, it won't have fenders for the first season anyways, they are all pretty rough and I only see that as slowing down how soon I can drive it. I love your '32 build and am looking forward to your future work!

Matt, I feel honored that my startup video was the kick you needed to get your truck buttoned up.
    It is so rad seeing the pictures and videos of it out and about!!!

18. That dash and wheel sure turned out nice! What paint and process are you using? ( sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it?)

19. I start with epoxy primer, then a few coats of a urethane 4 to 1 type high build.
    I'll start sanding that with 240, 320 and finish sand that with a passive, used 400 grit and spray usually 3 coats of U Tech polyurethane single stage. That is Akzo Nobels industrial/ commercial paint line.
    Anything else you want to know, just ask @cactus1

20. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Outstanding work. Thanks for the quality pictures and write up. Keep the updates coming.

Flowmeister and Denns1989 like this.
  21. what are the brackets you used to mount the t5?
    Well done!

22. Awesome build thread! Great truck, and I love the positive mindset behind your health issues. Nice work!

Flowmeister likes this.
  23. All my engine and transmission ,rear wishbone mounts were fabricated by me @cadillacoffin

24. Part 14.3 Cloth wiring

I bought bulk lengths of cloth wiring from a local vintage parts place, his selection wasn't great,
    but usable. In retrospect I probably should have bought the kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford, but with our dollar and shipping to consider...

The wiring is pretty basic in this truck, I bought a 6 place glass fuse block, sectioned two spots for hot and the other 4 for switched. I was really not sure where to mount my regulator on the firewall, but after seeing a few mounted where I put mine, and the realization I could use the same 3 holes to mount my fuse panel inside, the drill came out and it was done. Whenever you weld and fill a firewall, it's really hard to want to drill a bunch of holes back in it.

Originally I was going to have all exposed wiring and use wax string to tie it, but the more I looked online at methods of doing it, and examples of it, I realized it wasn't really the look I wanted.
    A while ago, a partsman friend of mine got IMG_20150902_161342.jpg IMG_20150817_163054.jpg IMG_20151116_213400.jpg IMG_20151116_213105.jpg IMG_20150823_234721.jpg IMG_20150824_225158.jpg me the asphalt wire loom stuff, same as what my reproduction light switch harness had. So, I bought a length of it and used it. I really like the way the wiring kind of disappears on the black engine.

I also cut, drilled and installed new maple cab wood at this point.

cretin, kidcampbell71, burl and 2 others like this.
  25. Wow man, that thing is a lot nicer then I thought! I don't mean that offensively, I just thought you were freshening up the pickup as such. Your work is great, I can't wait to see it someday!

I've been working on mine, too. I just installed a Nash steering box from @NealinCA and doing some minor needed repairs. I also finally got a pair of nice rear pickup fenders, I hope to install those to replace the home made "A" rear fenders that it has. I'd like to pass my ol 33 down to my son someday, should he show an interest. or if I run across another maybe store it away for him and he can build it as he likes?

Keep at it bud, your doing excellent so far!

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good sir.Best to you on the health issues.Sweet build going on there.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Great build man! Thanks for sharing

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice pickup, Kelly! Like others have mentioned, it's great to see more photos of your work on here.. rather than the small IG version.

I'll look forward to see you and the truck in Austin in April!

29. Great thread and awesome work bro. Hang in there!!!

Flowmeister likes this.
  30. Thanks for the kind comments @Chris No offence taken at all.
    If the original frame under mine wasn't rusted out, the build would have gone a whole different way.
    But once everything needs to come apart....

I have no doubt your little guy will have a keen interest in old Ford trucks,
    the picture above speaks volumes, you can see the gears turning, like he's thinking, OK, I got this figured out, now how can I reach the pedals.

Your truck is awesome to me, I love the way it just keeps evolving and getting better!

Thanks again!

@Malcolm Austin will be great! I'm looking forward to talking with you and seeing the changes you've made on your car as well. Thanks for comments!

@woodbutcher and @lodaddyo Thanks you, glad you're enjoying the build!