Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As in drivable without knocking your fillings out or maybe rattling your dentures :D

Drivable without dragging everything over a small dimple in the pavement, or leaving sparks and parts along the way.:D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Blue, not concerned about the pot holes, I'm more concerned about how I will get the new parts past the kitchen window........This is one that lived in Thunder Bay for a few years....... JORDAN 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You'll figure it out Ron, we all have a lot of faith in you! Looking at your avatar, are you going with red steelies, hot rod trim rings and baby moons? Had run these on mine for a few years... LOVED 'EM! Primered Splash Aprons.jpg

4. Thanks Mike , I do love that look but looking at Joe's I might just do the cream/yellow for a change ... Hapy 9.jpg as my '39 has them....

5. Here is another one with a great stance , that I like... Full Fendered Red Fiver.jpg Anyone know who belongs to this beauty ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    LOU WELLS, Blue One and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

December 1996 Restoration.jpg Who in their right mind would not run this style on a period 50's hot rod? When I bought my rod back in '95, I started showing the hot rod with the period look of the 50's and loved it so much! White firewall with period hot rod decals and even tried my hand at white scallops! Then, after looking at some hot rods from the 60's, THAT WAS IT! Now it's my true passion!

Hapydz likes this.
  7. 32 plate.png Got a little ahead of myself today by ordering up a set of vanity plates for the '32 ...

OzMerc39, Denns1989, 36 ROKIT and 4 others like this.
  8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Nothing wrong with this Ron!

loudbang and Hapydz like this.
  9. Made another Hot Rod Parts, Day Trip into beautiful Minnesota yesterday. A nice sunny but cool visit to one of my favorite spots....Grand Marais which is about 80 miles from home base, Thunder Bay. Stopped into Ryden's Border Store on the way home, to pick up my Helix chrome shocks acquired through E-Bay. Started to locate them today, on the front of the frame along with the Welder Series ( I love their stuff !) shock mounting plates. Little by little.... Shock 2.jpg

10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's good to hear from you Ron! Front end is looking sharp! I'm installing a dropped I-beam '32 Ford axle like yours, but in my Chevrolet. I think most of us can agree that these front ends are the BEST looking under any hot rod! Must have forgotten, what steering box are you using?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Mike,when the car came home...again, it had a '53 Ford pickup box installed. I plan on using it as it must be almost new cosidering when work stopped on the car in the '50's, for what I can tell. At least, that's what the plan is for now.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

In reality, that '53 Ford steering box was never used on the street? Great plan! After considering your SB, I'm using a chromed Vega box for cross steering. Keep up the great work Ron!

13. I used a Vega box on my T coupe and it worked great ! T coupe 2.jpg

14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Always digged those "phone booth" T coupes - still have this rod and what period was she built?

loudbang likes this.
  15. T Jag Diff.jpg
    A fellow from Washington State bought it in the late 80's ....I think...LOL

16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Damn Ron, this T was an exceptional rod! Reminds me clearly of Lil' John Buttera rods that he built before he unfortunately passed away. Unsurpassed detail and design - the jag rear and wire wheels on your T were the crowning touch!

Hapydz and loudbang like this.
  17. Thanks Mike ..... the words are very kind of you !!!

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You're welcome sir - Looking at your T and your '39 Ford Coupe, your '32 will no doubt have the same level of fit and finish!

Hapydz likes this.
  19. And yet there's more.....lol Detroit Side Profile.jpg

20. Nice T coupe. My buddy still has his Candy Apple Red one with Jag rear. He built it in the 70's, and gets it out every year for some long distance rod runs.

31chevymike, Hapydz and loudbang like this.
  21. 350 LOCATION.jpg I am at the stage of the '32 build where I have to install the 350 engine mounts. Can someone give me the dimension from the rad bolt hole c/l in the front cross member to the center of the exhaust header on the passanger side. Take a look at the photo (not so good) of the area in question. Any help would be appreciated ![ATTACH=full]3717849[/ATTACH]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    31chevymike likes this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Ron, any updates - whether you had a chance to weld in your engine mounts?

23. Hi Mike; I have the mounts already to weld in.....I hope tomorrow will see that done.
    Then on to the tranny mount (from The Welder Series) I really like the fact that you can install the firewall and gauges etc so that I can fire it up....Rum, Rummmmm LOL

loudbang likes this.
  24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I have a question for you since you are the only HAMBer I know with an awesome '32 Ford that I'm in contact with - Looking at your front frame horns. Would you mind measuring the height of your frame horn to just before your front cross member when you get the chance? I'm considering purchasing a new set of '32 Ford frame horns if they are similar in height like my original Chevy frame horns. Mine have the original leaf spring mounts that need to be removed. Looking forward to see your engine mounts welded in place!

25. Frame Horn.jpg
    The frame is 3" deep at the front of the cross member, Mike....

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That's close enough Ron! I found repro steel front frame horns for your car and mine and measure 3-1/8". Mine are measuring 3-1/8" also, making this a sweet modification. Thank you for that needed info!

27. Made a great little "HOT ROD PARTS RUN" into beautiful Minnesota today ! Took this photo of the frozen water seepage trying to make its way into Lake Superior on the other side of the road. It looks like it should have started it's journey a little sooner..... Oh, by the way, I picked up a Speedway Motors tie rod and Vintiques stainless rad mounting package. Nothing exciting but required..... Minn Frozen 3.jpg

LOU WELLS, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Any updates Ron - wishing you and your family best holiday wishes too!

29. Hi Mike; Not much to show just yet but I have been getting the 8" Ford diff. ready to install. Lots of crud removed from the third member but it should look new (or close to it) very soon. The next item to order from the "Welder Series" is their tranny support package which I will order up soon. Once that is installed, I can cut (Ouch) the firewall. In the mean time, the whole rear end package (brakes etc.) will get my attention in between egg-nog brakes. I hope..... Merry Christmas to all and may all of your presents ......fit ! Christmas101a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

What was the original rear in your deuce? Your firewall needs to be cut for clearance on the bell housing? Keep the progress pics coming - take it easy!

loudbang and dana barlow like this.