Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 5 Window Project - Done and Cruising!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Apr 14, 2018.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

They are some curved exhaust pipe and flat plate. Didn't get any good construction pictures.

assembly13f.jpg assembly13g.jpg assembly13h.jpg assembly13i.jpg assembly13j.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and fauj like this.
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I am blessed with a great group of friends. Over the last few weeks I have had calls, texts and messages checking on me.

I spoiled all of you with almost daily updates while building my '32 the last couple years. Time for an update on several fronts.

I am doing good. Just had my 30th Avastin infusion and that seems to still be working well. I'm pretty sluggish but nothing serious going on. Scheduled for one more infusion before the end of the year then sometime mid to late January I'll have another set of scans to check the status of the cancer. So far we've been holding things at bay with no new development, no growth to speak of and some shrinkage of a few areas. My Oncologist thinks it's been a good tradeoff so we're pretty happy with it. Blood pressure has been behaving for the most part and the doctor called me boring Thursday when i was up there. Boring is good, I've been the excitement in the room and that's not fun.

Put about 1200 miles on the '32 this past summer and a couple hundred on the Mustang. Traded pickups for a new 2020 F150 Sport in August. Already have 11,000 on it. I try to get out and go someplace different every day for drive thru lunch and a little drive down lesser known roads. Looking for old cars can b a lot of fun and I've been down every street in a bunch of little towns within about a hundred mile radius of home.

The '32 will be getting a few updates/improvements this winter. It's washed up and sitting in the shop. It's getting some flex joints in the head pipes right behind the headers. Also need to turn the LF brake rotor, it pulses so we're going to try turning it before replacing it. It was new and almost feels like a hard spot in the rotor. Going to build a new shift linkage so it's a little smoother. Everything else seems to work great, very happy with the outcome on the car.

Going to get back on the unibody, too. Want to get the last of the sheetmetal blasted, button up the suspension and finish the engine rebuild. Hoping to be able to drive it this coming summer. Cross your fingers.

Dianne hasn't killed me, yet. She's sewing masks for everyone.

I really do appreciate all those checking in on me, it's very humbling to have so many good friends watching over me. We're doing good and hoping to stay boring for a long time to come.

a1.jpg

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well deserved results all around...glad your getting quality drive time in and having only minor issues...Merry Ho Ho in the Snow Snow...;)

Nicholas Coe, The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Great checkup news. :)

Nicholas Coe and Stogy like this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy

Stay boring. That's good.

Blue One, Nicholas Coe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. Boring is a great diagnosis! Glad to hear that you’re holding your own.
    That’s a great shot of your coupe.

7. I like reading boring stories.
    Hope to get to Iowa to see your rod in person sometime.

Nicholas Coe, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Stay safe my friend

Nicholas Coe, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. You are an inspiration to lots of us who’ve been down the medical path you’re on. Keep up the good fight and God Speed, sir. Nice Deuce!

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The color looks great. I really like your choice well done

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Thanks for the update! I know your many HAMB friends (including me) were glad to hear that you're doing well. I still frequently refer to your excellent '32 thread while planning and building mine - also a New Age Motorsports coupe. Mine isn't progressing as fast as yours did, but it's coming along.
    IMG_4840 HAMB.jpg IMG_4794 HAMB.jpg IMG_4782 HAMB.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  12. Glad to hear you continue to do well! Keep enjoying that awesome rod!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Roderick Hazen

Roderick Hazen

I finally finished reading and gawking at the build. A delightful chronicle of your work, Steve. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
    Enjoy the cruise.

DenverFlash and loudbang like this.
  14. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Steve good to see the new year has been good to you so far. Praying that it continues to be good. Keep on keeping on......

Randall and loudbang like this.
  15. flat-ed

flat-ed

Thank you for sharing your journey. beautiful car. You are an inspiration!

16. Steve, I hope you are doing well today. Take care.

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Had a set of scans yesterday. What fun! Doc came back with "at this point we consider your cancer basically dormant. There have been no changes in the last 2 scans, I'm very happy with what we are seeing and we'll continue on his path." That's great news from our point.

Actually been looking into another project car. Not as radical as this one. Need something to excite my mind again. Been trying to sort out a few smaller issues on the '32 but my energy level is pretty low. Drugs are doing one job well but on the other hand they beat me up a little.

Will post pics as the exhaust changes take place.

Have a great winter! It's been sucking here pretty bad.

SPark

catdad49, Stogy, bchctybob and 14 others like this.
  18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Keep on truckin! All the best on the future project!

Stogy, Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

20. Fantastic news! Hang in there. If you start another project, please post a link here so we can find it and follow along.

21. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to have your inspiration still with us, ditto on wanting to witness a new build. Thanks for the update, you're in our thoughts.

Stogy, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  22. Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great to hear you’re doing well. I know folks here say your story is inspirational but I have seen proof. My good friend was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, he was devastated and depressed. When the doctors told him that they wanted to try an infusion therapy I pointed him to your thread. It really did seem to lift his spirits and make him more hopeful. It’s been almost a year now and the treatments worked great. He’s back in his shop working everyday and he’s back to his active chipper self. His cancer is also dormant.
    Thank you so much for starting and continuing this thread through your toughest times. Your car and your story are amazing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Crusty Chevy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  24. saa

saa
    from Sweden

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

What a crazy couple of weeks!

About 2 months ago, I started noticing fluid buildup in my feet and legs again. Much worse than last time. The other new twist was I was bloated like a 5 day dead dear lying alongside the road. Couldn't even tie my shoes. Showed the Oncologist 2 weeks ago and she reused to treat me again until the Cardiologist had done an echo and full workup to prove my heart wasn't going.

Last week was spent taking tests, echos, labs, etc. The heart tested out fine, no concerns. That lead them to look at the fluid in my belly. They figured it was so full, my legs didn't ever get the chance to drain and it just kept pushing more fluid to the legs. Let's add a new procedure! What fresh hell would this bring?!?!

Friday morning I went back to Des Moines, they took me to a little rom in the basement (looked like it was better suited for beating out a confession than a surgical procedure) and proceeded to drain 5500ML of fluid from the lining around my stomach. That's right, we drained 335 cubic inches of fluid in 20 minutes. I lost a small block! Wasn't a bad procedure, just strange to poke those big needles so deep inside you while you watch it happening in real time thru another echo. Great doctor and technician once again. I seem to luck out on the people assigned to me.

Since it was Easter and my 63rd birthday, we had the grandkids down, they finally got to ride in the coupe. Took them each out for a nice little ride, they had fun.

Norah, 6, yells out at her big brother, "Evan, I have to go, my ride is here!" She's grown up riding in the back seat of suvs and can't believe anyone would buy a car that didn't have a back seat.
    e12021.jpg

e22021.jpg
    Evan, age 9, got in and asked where I found this one for sale. I told him we bought the parts and built the car ourselves. He nodded and responded, "I wouldn't expect anything else".

Good to be back a little bit more, good to have the coupe out for the summer and glad they finally got the rides they were promised a year ago.

Happy Easter, everyone.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I guess it was truly a "good Friday" for you!

fauj, Stogy, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

They Look VERY HAPPY to be riding around with Grandpaw. :)

28. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

It's wonderful to share your great looking car with the grand kids. Be positive and stay well.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. catdad49

catdad49

Looks like a Fantastic Easter, I’ll bet Norah prefers to ride up front and sounds like Evan might be a future fodder.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

What a truly outstanding weekend! So glad to see things are working out and the grand kids get the chance to see the fruits of hard work being enjoyed!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.