Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my $300.00 1950 ford f1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elmcitydave, Jul 7, 2012.

1. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

my new better bed was still junk. 2 long nights and its looking better now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

keep up the good work make it yours.

3. Good job! Keep us updated.

4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great looking patch work. Saving old cars and trucks is cool no matter how it's done. Budget builds are very inspiring. Keep it up.

5. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Inspiring indeed! I'm also doin up a f1, but i started on suspension/power train first.

6. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Nice job, reading and learning.

7. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

the flintstones meet the jetsons
    [​IMG]

8. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Looks good, I dare say that putting a sbc in front of the stock tranny is more traditional then some of the other Ford based swaps

51f1rat: IIRC Ford used 19 gauge, but 18 or 20 should work ok

9. teejay99

teejay99

Well I WAS excited for you ...then you mentioned the 350 .....oh well . Good price though .

T

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

You list YOUR car as a 2008 Ford Fusion in your profile, and you think that gives you the right to criticise this guys choice of real American V8 in his project that he is actually doing his own work on??

How do you say WANKER in Canadian???

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"My other hobby/interest is model railroading . Trains and cars are what make me tick .
    Model railroaders tend to be old farts ( like me ) but we really make an effort to get young people involved ...to "pass the torch " as it were "

Is this your effort to encourage this young person to get out in the garage and get into his project???

Maybe you can inspire him with pix of your model trains?????

12. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Ok, I was one of the haters re: the smallblock, but hey, it'll be a nice daily driver with the SBC, and GREAT JOB on the metalwork! Can't wait to see more progress and when its finally done.

Keep at it!

Chris
    Monroe, CT

13. rockfish

rockfish

It's pronounced ASSHOLE. :)

Great job on the F1 Elm. Nothing wrong with increasing horsepower for free. Never be ashamed of a SBC. They'll be traditional someday hopefully.

14. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

[​IMG]
    snug as a bug in a rug

15. olpaul

olpaul

Great score. That flattie is worth the price of the truck and then some.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like it. Great body work skills you're illustrating for the rest of us.

I have a '56 Nomad (SBC) that I drive all over the place, seldom needs repair, reliable as all get out.

I have a '47 Ford with 59AB that I work on more than I drive it, and it's a restored car. Always something needing attention. I don't mind it, but it's not a hop in the car anytime and go kind of car.

I owned a '53 F-100 way back when with a 327 Chevy engine. I drove it hard for 13 years. It was quick!

My best friend owned a '52 F-1 with a '55 Chevy 265 (the early ones, remote filter). Great truck

SBC's are traditional and reliable and much quicker than a flathead. There is a strange subset of HAMBers who, without fail, jump on the anti-SBC bandwagon, but the vast majority on here (99%?) would say "build what you want." You're doing a great job bringing your truck to where it needs to be so you can enjoy it on the road.

17. olpaul

olpaul

Your body work is really nice. The old girl is looking good.

18. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i was about to install new wheel cylinders then i discovered this. i was going to install a 57 to 72 9'' anyway. i bought a rear from a friend, he said it was out of a 57 f100. nice and easy. 200 bucks. did i check to see if it was 5 on 5 1/2?
    [​IMG]

19. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

guess what? 5 on 4 1/2.
    [​IMG]

20. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

after a quick phone call and a few days my buddy dropped off another rear. 1964 f100. i checked this one. the only problem was a messed up backing plate. i quick check of ebay says these are harder to find than i thought. 57 to 66. the hamb says i am not the only one looking for these. looks like i need to repair it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

cool build,i have a 53 waiting for some love,which SBC bell housing are you using? any mods to it?

22. draggler

draggler

As if you need to be told to keep trudging on .
    Looks good man .Ive enjoyed the read thus far!

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Man, I'm super impressed. Were you an experienced metal shaper/fabricator/welder before you bought this truck? Because if not, you're my friggin' hero!

I have a '55.2 I have been to intimidated to start the rust repair on it and it's not anywhere near as bad as yours was. I have a Hobart Handler 140 with .0.30" flux core in it, but I know I really ought to use .023" with ArCO2. I need a bottle and with gas they don't come cheap. About $190 at my local Airgas supplier.

Really looking forward to watching you do more on this and how you intend to paint it? Thanks again for your posts.

24. Good God, man! Was there a panel on that truck that the Bondo fairy didn't smack with the f-up wand? Great job on the patch paneling. Being able to do work yourself, along with using what you already have, is the only way to keep a project under budget. Actually doing something in the garage, as opposed to being a whiny keyboard commando, is really traditional!

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

I dont know, it is a Ford, I dont think I would have went over $100

26. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i wouldn't call myself a fabricator, but i like to fabricate. just like i wouldn't call myself a welder, but i can weld. this truck will never be a show piece. however, it will look good in primer. its amazing how much you can get accomplished when you get over the fear of screwing something up.
    the proper rear is now in
    [​IMG]

27. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i just finished this little patch up today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its starting to look like a truck again

28. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Looks great, man. You're pretty crafty. Nice find.