Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, I am looking for something like that so I can disquise the newer parts on my Modified. Trying to make it look older than it is. Any ideas on how to disquise an aluminum valve cover on my 2.3 Motor ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    Getting ready for paint!
    :D

Well, made some pretty good progress in the towards the finish line. I spent the better part of my morning (got an early start at 8 am) building up the support cross member for the Chicago Overdrive. I had posted my patterns for the lower mount and the spring unit last week, so here it is completed:

[​IMG]

My welds are improving!..

[​IMG]

The entire assembly done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, after the rest of the finishing touches were completed.....

[​IMG]

it was time to say goodbye to the body once more...

[​IMG]

...and get it stripped down and ready for paint!...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got some new goodies for the upcoming engine assembly..

New exhaust...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and this new alternator followed me home :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more next weekend for play-by-play of the painting process!

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Love the fab work that you are doing. Very professional looking. Weld are looking very good. Love those rows of dimes . . . How long befor the chassis starts going back together ?

Dave

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hopefully as soon as the paint is dry! :rolleyes:

I am planning to have Chris shoot everything Saturday, then I can get to assembly next week.

I am quite pleased with my welding improvements....come a long way since day one :D

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, It is getting down to the short strokes for the frame. Is thew body going to be repaired and painted this time ? If it is - how are you at body work ? Know you can do it !

Dave

6. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton...you've been a busy bee!!! Looking great!! I LOVE those connectors!! I've never seen those before but what a great touch!! The support for the Chicago looks slick. Man...that Chicago OD is SEXY!!! You're really doing some unique things here.

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

No bodywork this time around. I have enough on my plate getting the chassis and drive train done, running and reliable with my deadline fast approaching.

I will tackle some very minimal bodywork after Bonneville, including rust repair on the rotted drivers side rear quarter panel and two tears, but nothing more....no dents, ripples, etc....

..That would just ruin the character of the car ;)

I will also be finishing up the interior, new, correct top, and windshield as well.

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

I have been, but then again I have a deadline approaching....I don't have a choice.

I always loved those connectors, mostly the time and patience it takes to make them....as well as the look they give to a car.

That rear support for the Chicago was something it has needed for a long time...and had sustained some real damage because of it's absence. this addition was long overdue.

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

I won't get to this until after Bonneville, but I have been messing around with some ideas for the new, correct top and it's "cut"

Here are the options I have been messing with:

[​IMG]

Top: Open sides like a stock Model A top.

Bottom: Closed sides like my current top.

What do Ya'll think?

10. The current top looks mean as hell to me...Grrrrrrrr!

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like the gypsy curtains. It was years before I realized that wasn't factory on A and Deuce roadsters.

-Dave

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I like the closed sides.. Looks much more menacing.

iPhone - TJJ app

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Another vote to keep it like it is.

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

I have to agree with you all. I had intended to keep the look, but I was just playing "devils advocate" and wanted to see what everybody thought..

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I think we all thought you already had it right!:D

16. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Tough crowd!:rolleyes: Like the current version!:cool::cool::cool: Sooo many cool devices on this machine.:D

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    Final tweaking before paint.

I still have some final "tweaking", adjusting and drilling to do before paint this weekend. I realized that the over drive was still pulling down at an angle with the new cross member installed...something that the new cross member was supposed to eliminate. After some stewing over the matter...I realized that I had cut and bent my Over drive support yoke plate in the wrong place...making it too short :eek: ...so I added made up some support spacers to correct the problem:

[​IMG]

Next I have to drill the bolt holes in the frame for the cross member...just didn't get to it last night:

[​IMG]

I did get some work done on the spindles. Got them blasted, new bushings installed, primed and painted...ready to go:

[​IMG]

...Also got 2 of my new wire wheels blasted and and read for paint:

[​IMG]

....and I got my new 1.5 ohm coil :D

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more!

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton, I really think that cut of the current top looks best. Like Cactus said...it looks mean!! Just my $.02

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*BREAKING NEWS*
    Bugsy just hooked me up!
    :D

Bugsy here on the HAMB and I have been in contact and "HAMB friends" for years now. We have talked back and forth about each others '26 T roadster since he started his project which he has just recently had running and put up a build thread on. I have mentioned several times that I was looking for a correct lower windshield frame and a good set of posts to build a correct windshield for my car when the time comes to fit the Model A top. He scored a good '27 tub which had come with many extra parts. He found an extra set of windshield posts and a lower frame that he was kind enough to send me as a contribution to the project...which arrived this morning. For that, I can't thank you enough my friend :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim at Bubba's Ignition of Speedway, IN was also kind enough to do the same with his contribution of the Mallory self advancing distributor:

[​IMG]

It is wonderful gestures like this make me love this hobby and keep my faith in it.

Thanks you again, both of you.

20. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

The stanchions are 1926 FYI. Only crazy model t people prolly care. :) 27's look more the same on each side where they mount to the cowl. 26 stanchions are notched on the back side where the upper cowl bolt attaches to the cowl. Like I said only crazy model t people care to notice the slight difference.

21. Shut the hell up Mike. You don't own me.

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

...this just cracked me up :D

Good eye Mike! See?...ya learn somethin' new everyday. I guess that means I'm not a "Crazy Model T Person" then...:rolleyes:

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

I agree. The more and more I look at my drawing....the less and less I like the open side look.

...good thing I'm keeping it "AS IS" :D

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, You sure coming to the finish line in "supersonic" speed ! The final parts all polished and made ready for the open highway. It's a very good thought to comtemplate.

Dave

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton,
    I'm glad that the posts and frame will help out. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to get them to you. I know that I've been telling you forever that I'd get them out to you!! It's a real pleasure to contribute to my favorite roadster. It's the least that I can to after all of your advise and encouragement over the years. Just when I thought that your '26 couldn't get any better, you go and do this rebuild!! I hope that we can get yours and the "Dust Bowl" together and make a "blinding" pass down the salt or some, old, dusty lake bed someday. You are one of the true, good guys and what makes this "hobby" worth while!!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you so kindly my friend :)

...It doesn't matter the time it took, it the gesture that counts and means the most to me.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    PAINT!!!!!!!......

Well, I think the title kinda sums this one up...

I did get the LAST of the chassis work done last Wednesday and Saturday Morning. I spent my first hour drilling the four holes for the middle cross member...my shoulder is still paying for it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, after some degreasing work and a little clean up...it was time to paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the finished result..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...love that finish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for "re-assembly" next week! :D

28. Kume

Kume

That chassis is Pebble Beach shiny Clayton?. You must have a great job that affords you so much spare time to do this rebuild so quickly (yes you too Chris!). - I am so envious. Am loving this rebuild!!!.

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, That chassis is looking very, very nice. Imagine all the drivetrain, motor and trans will be equally nice. Looking forward to the debut of the rolling chassis.

Keep up the superb work.

Dave

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

It is a bit shiny compared to last time...but then again, this is the first time its had REAL paint on it before. Last time it was just a quick coat of black primer...

..."Jobs that allow us to spend most of our time at the shop" that is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever heard! :D lol!

...In all seriousness, we both have regular jobs and only get Wednesday nights and Saturdays. All the work you see here was made with those days only since November.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012