Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! I plan to keep it up, got a deadline to meet by May! :eek:

I don't think it will be a chore :D ...just need some edge work :rolleyes:

It really needed it...especially before I head out on the road to Bonneville this summer. :D

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    The rear suspension is now....FREE STANDING!!!! :D
    Extra HD photos by Mrs. Model T ;)

I had a great weekend. I had intended to get the rear suspension hung and free standing by the close of the weekend....and by Sunday night....I was successful!

I started out the day finishing up the shackle plates, drilling the lower holes after the inner plates were heated and bent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the drilling work complete, Chris and I moved on to machining out some steel tubes to weld between the two shackle plate that will except a stock Model T perch bushing...and this time, it was my turn to run the lathe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...our finished product with bushings pressed in:

[​IMG]

...and with all the pieces:

[​IMG]

Me assembling...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the completed shackle assembly all welded up and installed. Still have some cleanup to do....but it works! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lowest hole represents the original spring mounting position. I opted to move it up at least one hole to gain some much needed extra axle clearance:

[​IMG]

The extra clearance does lift the rear of the chassis up quite a bit:

[​IMG]

More to come!

3. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

Ooh I like your fancy fanciness ;)

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Those brackets came out really nice ! I would say that you hit one out of the Stadium ! Will keep them in mind for the "Heinz '57 Special". Nothing like "A" part on a "T" . . . . . Hope to start work on the frame in March.

Dave

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Dave!

I'm pleased with how it all turned out. Still have some clean up to do and a little more work to go on these before I'm satisfied...but I'm happy :D

Can't wait to see some progress on the Heinz 57!

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    Still "cranking" along on the rear shackles..:D

Didn't make any "earth shattering" progress, but a few more steps toward the finish line were made.

Got the shackle support rods cut down and threaded as well as some preliminary cleanup work done on my shackle assemblies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I have left is to finish making up the shackle rod-to-radius rod brackets and the appropriate spacer tubes to complete the rear shackle setups.

I also messed around with the rear shock placement. I have been stewing over this problem for months and last night it finally hit me. The setup I have in mind will tie the axle mount side of the shocks into my new shackle support rods and should be plenty stout. I will have more on the shock mounts this weekend...along with the finished shackles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also messed around with the new hand crank. I wanted something with a little more of a stouter, classier look. I found this early crank on Ebay last week. Sadly the crank radius was too big and it hit the frame, so I was forced to cut and shorten it.....but with my welding practice you can hardly tell :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gives it a nice look, don't ya think?

[​IMG]

More to come!

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Looking good!

-Dave

9. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

Awesome job on the welding, looks like you didn't have any problem tapering it. :)

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! I'm happy with how it's turning out too...and that it works! :rolleyes:

Thanks love! I really thought I would have more of a fight with that. When I cut it down by 1" inch.....the difference in size was almost unnoticeable....so when I welded it, you can't tell.

11. Clayton,

Could you take a pic of the crank handle from the top with a ruler next to it?... I missed out on the bidding :)

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

I most certainly can do!

Oh....sorry :eek:

13. No worries man- glad you got it!

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

I won't have a chance to get you some photos until this weekend, but I'll put it on my "to do" list :D

..It did go to a good home!

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Those rear shackles came out great. Are you sure you want to use the middle hole. I thought you would be top hole to get your "T" as low as possible. How is clearance when you are that low ? Your roadster is going to be one clean ride when you get it finished. Looking forward to the first cruise video.

Dave

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Actually the bottom hole represents the car's original ride height, which caused some interference issues. I moved it up to the middle hole to gain and few more inches in ride height.

I'm looking forward to that day too :D

17. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

I've followed the Rear Shackle rebuild. Love the Idea, but still want to see how you tie the support bar and the Radius rod together. Also Why tie the two together?

By the way Love the new build headers on your posts.

CBB

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

I hashed over your question and felt that the only way to accurately describe the answer...is to show you:

[​IMG]

Here is how the support rod will connect to the radius rod:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  19. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Makes perfect since now. Thank you very much....and carry on!

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Glad I could help and explain it correctly :D

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Drawings are a great tool to explain how the part works. It is very clean and functional. You need to sign your drawings. Wouldn't want some skulker copying your design. They may steal your idea and copy right it. Darn thiefs !

Dave

22. Kume

Kume

too late!

Thanks Clayton

Do you have any concerns that the bolt holes through the radius rod will weaken it at all?

23. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I would hope Clayton sleeves the hole in the radius rod to strengthen that area.

Ron

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

I did have concerns about that, but last night at 2:30 am I had a great idea that woke me. I wrote it down in my sleepy stooper (but Mrs. Model T had to re-write it cause I couldn't read my own scribbles :D)

You will see in my next update.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    It ventures out...into the SUN LIGHT!!

So Saturday marked a major milestone in this rebuild....the chassis was rolled out side into the sun (well sorta). This marks it's first time leaving the building in almost 4 months:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made some major progress on the rear shackles, getting them virtually complete.

[​IMG]

I had hashed over the method in which to fasten the shackle rod support bracket to the rear radius rods without running the risk of weakening them. They really aren't big enough to accept two bolts and one just didn't seem like enough to keep it from moving. Then...at 2:30 am I awoke with a
    brilliant idea, I could simply reuse the old T e-brake rod support brackets (that were no longer in use) as the basis of the new supports as they clamp around the radius rods and give great support! In my sleepy stooper I scribbled down some notes...of which Mrs. Model T had to transcribe because I couldn't read them :D

They are not yet complete as they still need a few pieces of support bracing, but it worked GREAT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also completed the new crank handle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That ought to do it for this weekend. Next week I iron out the rear shocks and the rear panhard bar.

More to come!

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yeah!! It looks good, buddy!

iPhone - TJJ app

27. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Way to go ! Do your Hot Rod engineering in the dream world ! Just make sure you stay in this dimension . . . . . Apologies to Rod Sterling.

Dave

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Dave! Oh I will. I do some of my best work when I'm sleeping...or trying to get there :D

29. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

Ugh...I keep telling him that! :eek: I will have to fix then for him :rolleyes: Thanks Dave!

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

...sorry, got carried away :eek: