Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1st real rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I know I'm a little behind on this (being 25), but I have finally scored my 1st "hot rod". I have had mustangs and stuff before, but nothing pre-48, however I have always loved the retro looking rods/gassers.

Anwyays... the car was an orginal hot rodded T-bucket from the 50's, but recently was made into a cheap street rod. Well I want to bring it back old-school and just looking for some ideas and pics. My budget is limited, so I'm looking for more cheap, cosmetic ideas and such. I'm looking to run it as a roadster all the time...

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. ^^^^^^

4. Kramer

Kramer

Yep, lets see what you have first.

5. sorry, these pics are bad but its all i have for now...

Attached Files:

6. as soon as i get the car home, it is being scuffed and put in flat black/gray. i also plan on channeling it this winter along with some other little things (small pick-up style bed instead of the "hump back" look, lakestyle headers, different wheels/tires, door handles, and ????) hopefully i can get some better pics in the next day or so but the car is still at my parents place

7. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

You look a lot older than 25. You shouldn't worry so much it causes wrinkles. That car definitely needs some lovin'.

8. Kramer

Kramer

9. sun down

sun down
    from tx

neat, I like it as is but........................

I like red, use to have this 52 truck before I sold it to buy
    my little ride........
    [​IMG]

10. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

looks like you have a hell of a start to begin with, if it was mine, i wouldnt go flat black... thats just me tho.

11. yeah i didnt age real well! haha...that was friends of the family taking it for a little spin.

i forgot to mention, that I will also be making it fenderless. as far as the color goes, i'm not 100% sure, all i know is that i don't want anything with a shine. i think i'm leaning towards a flat light gray

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Neither would I.

13. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

i wouldnt either, and i like flat black - if the body is as good as it looks, go with the only other alternative - gloss black - leave gray for primer - jmo

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Wow, what a tragic preference. That's like saying you prefer girls with no ass and a small chest...

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, for 25, you look like hell. And who's the old dude sittin next to you? ;)

16. What's wrong with that?

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If your going to channel it why paint it at all. Would be great to see a pict of the whole vehicle. Leave the red, flat black flames with white pinstripes..... or not. Flat black is soooo... flat black.

Really hard to say without seeing it full and it sounds like your going to do some dramatic changes. Good luck.

18. slepe67

slepe67

you've got a nice start, don't make it a POS...if it aint broke, don't fix it...

19. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

I'd keep the shiny paint, seems covering a perfectly good paint job with flat black is a step backwards, but hey if you like the (insert r word here) rod look, go fer it!

20. What else do you know about it? What colour was it (it wasn't flat black, I'm guessin').

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I wasn't going to say it, but I'm glad someone did.

22. You might want to worry about the tilt steering column and some of the other street rodder touches before you worry about paint.

23. Hard to say what it started as. Like to see a better overall pic. It looks to me like a 28/29 coupe or sedan cowl with a 28/29 touring rear section grafted on. Why do you want to destroy a nice paint job? There is no rule that says just because you are under 30 you must drive a primered car. I like your pick up bed idea. Take your time, you've got the basis for a nice hot rod. Don't screw it up.

24. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Sell it and buy the project and you will have alot more money to work with and get exactly what you are thinking in that wrinkled head..

25. mottsrods

mottsrods

Flat black is a classic, but everyone is doing it. I just got back from the paint store with something so freakin' cool. Ford has this color on the last few years of explorers and stangs, it looks like 'burnt arnge'.......heeheeeee. But I wanted it in a suede. So I called the ford dealership, got the paint numbers, went to the paint store and had them make it. It looks just like the factory color, just flat. It's also the cheapest i've ever had mixed special. I decided to get 10 quarts, more than enough to do the 50 chevy moordor i'm working on, and some left over to play with on the interior, or other projects.

As for the red on there now, you could just wet sand the shine off until it's suede. It's probably the cheapest way to go too!

26. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

dont paint it matt black... remove the fenders and leave the rest alone.

27. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

"Why don't you have a seat? What are you doing here?" - Chris Hansen / Dateline:eek:

28. Uh, no, I don't think so, I have a dentist appointment.

29. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

put mags on it ,loose the wood dash,chrome the windsheild frame and toss the hood aside and drive it

30. I'd gladly trade you my ugly flat paint for your shiny paint.