Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1st build - '30 sedan/'32 chassis - UPDATE 11/12/13 PROJECT COMPLETE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskoolrodder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. not much to report, picked up and installed my narrowed rearend, narrowed by 3" on each end. Thanks Pyle Bros. in Baytown. Picking up wheels today from painter. Taped off frame and started sanding it. I plan on re-shooting it this weekend. First time painting with lacquer, lesson learned, put many coats of clear on and do not block and buff like you would with urethane paints. It is very soft and you can burn thru it very fast. I also started upholstering my seats. Should have them completed tonight. So, here are some pics of the changes so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

firewall will be painted the same color as the wheels...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

An absolute piece of fine art, man. Congratulations! Who are those clowns in the pictures? ;)

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Love the dash, that color is gonna look GREAT!

4. Looks great. I really like the dash.

5. ok, here is the color I choose, it is as close to the Bordeaux Red as I could find. The camera didn't capture it exactly. The painter is suppose to text me the paint code when he does I will post it for you guys that have asked for it.
    [​IMG]

6. busy weekend... picked up painted wheels today should have it back on by tonight. I finished my seats this weekend and sanded and taped off my frame and components and re shot them in the same black lacquer and clear coat. I put quite a bit of clear on this time. Hopefully the last of the painting. My body and paint guy said he was going to start on the body next week..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. A little update... I blocked and buffed the frame, noticed the black looks to have wrinkled under the clear coat. Not sure why it happened but, too tired to do anything about it. Found some cool Offy risers now my throttle cable can run straight horizontally to the carbs. The body guy sent me a few update pics... hopefully 2 more weeks.

before blocking and buffing (heavy orange peel)
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

cool little 2" risers
    [​IMG]

body shop update pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. finished my firewall gauge cluster, will have a matching tach below dash as well.
    [​IMG]

started working on my interior panels... one down 10,000 more to go!
    [​IMG]

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

looking good. I did a chopped 2 door sedan

10. kismyss

kismyss

Looks Bad Ass!!!!!!!!!!

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

Awesome looking dash with the floor treatment looks good. I like the idea that you went with a highboy style with the body on 32 rails. You should listen to the guys here and put some flex in those fuel lines, it's better to be safe then sorry. I know how guys hate to do something over! I would change over to a Model A rear spring now and not have to live with the coil overs, I don't like. Your doing a great job on the sedan.:D The added rubber in the fuel lines looks good and now it's safe.

CRUISER :cool:

12. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

What a great build you are doing!

13. Damn Mark........You never told me you were on Testosterone and Speed !

You are Rockin Cowboy. Love the Outer Dash Gauges.

Also think those risers will really mellow out the carbs. The 383 made more HP on the Dyno WITH the risers in Ole Rusty.

Two thumbs up

14. cederholm

cederholm

Man that's cool! Great job!

15. thanks... I redid my vacuum and fuel lines in 3/8" stainless. I'll upload pics later. If nothing else the stainless looks 10x better than the aluminum, in my opinion...

16. no testosterone and speed just green beans and school buses, excuse me... hydrocodone and xanax. just kidding... just say no to drugs... :)

gud to know on risers... Nate would like his Duece of Hearts (or whatever its called) movie back and he has an engine hoist your looking for btw...

17. Man, this is really shaping up nice!

18. agreed!

19. Christom

Christom

Lovin' everything about this build. Especially like the dash and using redone Mustang seats - nice. The bead roller certainly got a decent workout! It's going to look awesome when finished alright. Good stuff!

20. QUICK UPDATE....

talked with my painter yesterday he is shooting the last guide coat and should have it completely blocked out by tomorrow. Hopefully we will have paint by the weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One step forward, 10 back... The paint I sprayed on my frame a while back is having problems. I think I reduced the lacquer to much then covered it with clear before allowing it to fully dry. It is completely cracked giving it a horrible wrinkle paint look. I decided last night to sand it all off and I found that the black was still wet, as suspected. Once I get it striped and taped off my painter nicely volunteered to come to my house and prep it and spray it.
    [​IMG]

I did finish both kick panels though...
    [​IMG]

hopefully my next update will have a painted body and frame...

21. Man your car is looking freakin awsome, bad luck with the paint on the chassis but it was good of your painter to help you get it right. Love the upholstery job, Can't wait to see the finished car, its insperational. i work 4 weeks in Australia and 1 week back in New Zealand which doesn't give me much time to work on my tudor but looking at your thread has got me wanting to be in my shed. Only 25 days to go!!:eek:

22. thanks... that is real nice, pay it forward I guess. I set and looked at all of Brian Bass's build threads and that is what inspired me. That is cool...

23. ok... final update before I get the body back from paint and my parts come back from chromer.

chopped and re-welded my windshield frame (thanks Gary) and started polishing it. I used a flat file to shape the corner, hopefully there is enough weld left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chassis stripped, hopefully for the last time. Should get painted Tuesday evening.
    [​IMG]

I had a machine shop make 4 parts to block off the original gauge openings in the Mercury dash. They have a tapped hole in the back and a bar with 4 holes that will keep the parts in place. I will paint them black to match the dash trim. Thanks Tony @ South Texas Machining - Alvin, Tx.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  24. you can bring the Vette over so it stays out of the paint dust :)

25. ha... gonna have him paint flames on it and stick some Joe Dirt tires on the back...

26. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Nice build. You've come a long way since the start of it!! I like the color choice and your attention to detail. I keep gathering ideas and suggestions from builds on here also like you did. I hope it helps me also. That sucks about the frame, but you will have a badass ride when its all done and put together. Your buddy's that helped will be jealous! Keep up the work..

27. thank you and good luck on your build. Definitely would of been alot more difficult without having this site and all the HAMB'ers to fall back on for questions, that's for sure.