Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1966 Ford F100 Resto-Mod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tschmitt, Oct 1, 2009.

1. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Hey everybody, my name is Tyler and im in the process of restoring my 1966 Ford F100. Im 22 years old, have a full time job, go to college, and have girlfriend going on 3 years so my time to work on my truck is pretty limited depending on what time of year it is. I love working on old cars and restoring them. I love going to car shows whenever I have the free time and I hopefully will get to take my truck to one when I get it completed. I took 2 years of vocational auto body in high school and ive just been using what experience I got from there to help me with this build along with tons of info I have found on forums such as this one. I have been working on this truck off and on for a over a year now so I still have a long ways to go. I plan on putting a Cadillac 500 into this truck, lowering it, and adding some updates along the way. This is a frame off restoration so every piece of this truck is taken apart and gone through. I appreciate any help or advice I can get from you guys as well so feel free to let me know what you think or any advice you would like to give. Let me get you caught up to where I am today.

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

3. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

I bought this truck for $800 with a clean title in hand.

Heres a front shot still on the trailer from hauling it home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Some interior shots after the carpet and bench seat were removed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This the most damage on the cab. Gotta patch the floor panel and also part of the transmission tunnel.
    [​IMG]

5. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Let the deconstruction commence.
    Got the engine,hood, fenders, and some misc parts taken off.
    [​IMG]
    Both cab mounts are in great shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the front end almost completely disassembled along with the doors and transmission removed.
    [​IMG]

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

it's different. i've seen very few of those trucks that i was into. but the ones that i thought looked good i really like a lot.
    in my opinion, the number one thing you can do is get that baby loooooooooooooooooow to start with.

7. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Got the bed removed and shipped off to get sandblasted.
    [​IMG]
    Getting started on removed all the old wiring in the cab and getting the steering column pulled.
    [​IMG]
    Got the cab, front suspension, rear end, brake lines, etc removed.
    [​IMG]

8. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Getting the 9 inch rear end cleaned up and sandblasted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Got all the 50+ rivets out of the frame and all the cross members, cab mounts, etc taken out of the frame. I left one cross member intact to help keep the frame more rigid. I will remove it once I get the other cross members bolted back in. Used in a air hammer and chiseled the heads off then hammered the rivets the rest of the way through. Had to use a grinder on most of them after the heads were popped off. Alotta work getting them off but it will be worth it knowing every aspect of this frame was sandblasted of all its rust and restored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Here's my disc brakes for my truck, these are off of a 74 F100 and are a bolt on upgrade to my truck over the drums on the front. Also some pics of the bed after it got sandblasted and one coat of epoxy on it to keep it from rusting until I get started on bodywork.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the only rust damage on this bed. Shouldn't be too hard to repair.
    [​IMG]

11. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Some misc parts blasted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

The epoxy primer I am going to be using on this truck and frame.
    [​IMG]

13. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

The SS urethane im going to be using on the frame. Satin black for the frame itself and silver for the crossmembers, suspension parts, etc.
    [​IMG]

14. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Got some parts from Summit. Only took 2 days to ship! I couldnt believe it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the DJM drop shackles to lower the rear between 3-5 inches.
    [​IMG]
    The Drop Beams from DJM. I dont care for the powder coating on these things at all. Already had a small piece just flake off because it had a rough edge on it. May consider having these sandblasted and then paint them myself. Not sure though yet.
    [​IMG]
    The front sway bar from Addco.

15. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

My Devilbiss Finishline 3 primer gun with 1.8 & 2.2 tips (gun on the left) and my Devilbiss GFG-670 "Plus" paint gun with 1.2, 1.3, & 1.4 tips (gun on the right). Looking forward to trying these 2 guns out as I have read great reviews about both of these guns.
    [​IMG]

16. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

My fresh air setup for when I sandblast and paint. Its a HobbyAir I setup, working great so far.
    [​IMG]

17. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

I got a few parts sandblasted, still have to finish sandblasting the frame and then get it primed and painted. Hoping to get all of that done by the end of October.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

I bought this engine rebuilt for $800 and I will be tearing it down, going through it, making some adjustments, and buying some aftermarket parts for it too. The hard part is done and saved me alot of money too. The engine was rebuilt in 94' and never ran, the owner passed away before he could pick it up. Just in stock form these engines made a ton of torque and im hoping after some modifications I can make quite a bit more. 400hp/500lbs of torque can be had pretty easily. Cant wait till I get a rolling chassis and can start building this monster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

This is where im at today. I just got done sandblasting the entire frame and all the misc frame, suspension parts today so thats a huge step accomplished. Got to get them in primer and paint within the next week or so and then i can start bolting this chassis back together. I will post pics of the sandblasted frame and parts within the next few days. Thanks for looking guys.

20. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

At first I wasnt going to lower when I first started planning and then I saw a few other lowered slicks and I decided there was no way I wasnt gonna lower it. I will be driving this truck alot so I didnt want it slammed but it will have a low profile look to it when its completed for sure.

21. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Nice man! Welcome from Kewanee IL. I use to own a 66 myself but it was a long bed.

22. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Finally got my entire frame and misc frame/suspension parts sandblasted! I rented a 100 cfm gas powered air compressor/sandblaster from the local supply/rental store and knocked out everything in no time. The back driveway looks like a beach now but everything has been sandlasted so its on to the next step, primer and paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Didnt have time to take the I beams apart but I blasted what im using so I just got to take it apart and paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all I got for now. On to primer and paint. Im glad to have all the sandblasting done for this year though, makes quite a mess, it feels good to do it all myself though.

25. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Thanks for the welcome, I had to decide between a long bed or short bed but I went with the short bed, much better shape.

26. You're doing a great job, and nice chops for being so young, man. Only thing is- this is primarily a '64 and earlier crowd. Your truck is grandfathered because as we both know it can pretty much pass for a '63, etc. just keep it in mind--

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  27. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Thanks alot, this is my first build so im learning alot. Haha ya the 61-66 look pretty much the same so I figured what the heck, I have learned alot so far since ive been on this forum. Thanks again.

28. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

Got me a little paint booth put up and got my frame primed and painted. Turned out pretty good overall. I will be painting all the other sandblasted parts as well within the next couple of days so making good progress so far. Here some pics.

The frame in primer with SPI Epoxy Primer, 2 coats. Layed down great no runs and great coverage. I used my Devilbiss Finishline gun with 1.8 tip for the epoxy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. tschmitt

tschmitt
    from IL

And here it is in flat black. Kirker SS Hot Rod black (flat black), used the Devilbiss Plus gun with a 1.4 tip for the paint. No runs and I put on 4 dry/medium coats to help achieve the flat black look. Turned out pretty good, cant wait to see it under real light to really see how it turned out. I know in some of the pics it looks like it didnt cover all the way but its just the way the light is reflecting from the camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]