Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1960 Edsel project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zomb-E, Oct 14, 2011.

1. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

2. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

The yard is in Williams CA, there are two yards. Anything you could ever need you can find there.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. bbbronc

bbbronc

Very cool project, subscribed

I went to a yard in Cloverdale several years back that had donkeys in it. Is it the same one?

4. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Yup! thats the one. Its 20 mins away from where I live so I go there often.

5. bbbronc

bbbronc

I thought so. Can't be too many around like that. Your lucky your so close, we don't have any wrecking yards within a hour or so and those are mostly newer stuff. I don't imagine finding '60 Edsel parts to be easy anywhere. Good luck with the build.

6. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Got front suspension on, new upper and lower ball joints and control arm bumpers. Getting front wheels/brakes on this weekend, time to get this thing on the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Front end Before and After

[​IMG]

8. greg

greg

That looks like great work.

9. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Great story - keep the photos coming!

10. olds79

olds79

It looks very good with new paint and the rebuild front end.

11. bbbronc

bbbronc

Nice work. It cleaned up really nice.

12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

It's nice to work with new, clean parts. Looking solid. Cof cof AEROSTAR COILS and BLOCKS cof cof. Seriously, while it's apart....

13. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

haha, is that what you used? Ford Aerostar coils?

14. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

All new hardware, brake shoes, and brake hoses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MOCKED UP SPARE MOTOR TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING LINED UP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

That looks so nice with all those new parts.... I love fresh clean brake parts before they get all asbestos-y.

Yeah, check out the threads on here about the Aerostars. Made a huge difference on mine. They are progressive rate springs too so they firm up the cornering on top of lowering. Very nice swap.... drops it about 2.5-3 depending on whose measuring tape I use. I have befores and afters in the Edsel Group page for the springs.

16. bbbronc

bbbronc

Its looking real good man! nice work. I can't vouch for the areostar coils on the Edsel, but I did buy them for my shoebox.

17. sololobo

sololobo

I love this build, makes me ache to be able to do my 59 Ranch Wagon with such sweet detail. I sold my 6-shooter mill out of my Ranch Wagon to a guy that just bought a 60 tu-door post Edsel, what sweet rides these babies are, I will try to shoot some pix of it and send them to you when I can. ~sololobo~

18. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

yeah lets see it!!

19. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Ill check it out thanks man.

20. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

So, guys... Need some help here.
    I need a steering control valve repair kit. I called Macs, they have the control valve all together for 60 Edsel which is about $230..but i just need the repair kit. (need the rubber bushing that covers the pin mostly)
    they have a kit for a 61-64 Ford Galaxie but not for Edsel, would it be the same??? :confused:
    stuck here....
    any input would be appreciated.

P.s. have been calling these big name antique auto part reproduction places and they dont seem to know anything about interchangeability for ford and edsel, all I get is "sir, whats in the catalog is all we have" haha
    Im not hating on these places its just frustrating haha.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Have you tried Kanter? I would bet the Galaxie stuff would work. If so check with Dennis Carpenter also. Sorry if this is old news to you.

22. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i am the unoffical spokesperson for areostar coils those things make everything better!

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

More like(Hey man,Nice Imperial) :D [​IMG] And this is the first time I ever heard of a 1960 Edsel.I assumed they ceased production in 59 :eek:

24. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hmm, I'm not seeing it; although Chrysler replaced Virgil Exner with a really talented ex-Ford designer right about that time; so that's why the Imperial looks a bit Ford-ish.

26. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

very nice ride! McNamara was hopt to kill the Edsel since day one, the 1960 is very rare, and the grill is def an improvement over the horse collar.. i can't get over it's similarity to the '60 Ford sedan (yeah I know it's the same company but the body styles sure do look a lot alike)..

27. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I always thought the frames were pretty much the same from57-64. I think the steering stuff is the same. Mark

28. greg

greg

I used Rodes Resteration once with really good luck for a steering unit rebuild., but it was on a 65 mustang.
    I sent the unit to him and it came back rebuilt with the correst hoses on it.
    I am not sure about the edsel stuff or buying just the kits, but you might give him a try.
    Its been a couple of years, so im not sure everything is current.
    He is in gallion , Ohio. 419-468-5182, [email protected]

sorry it took awhile, I had to contact the person I worked on there car so she could look at her receipt.

29. The Steering control valve kit # is C2AZ-3A533-A, that's for the Fords, but it's a good bet they're same for Edsels.

It includes 10-11 pieces - ball stud & cups, rubber boot, cover clamp/sleeve, o-rings, etc. Sold a lot of 'em back in the days.

Dennis Carpentar has 'em for $30, on page 19 of his latest online catalog - link:
    Ron

QUOTE=Zomb-E;7775928]So, guys... Need some help here.
    I need a steering control valve repair kit. I called Macs, they have the control valve all together for 60 Edsel which is about $230..but i just need the repair kit. (need the rubber bushing that covers the pin mostly)
    they have a kit for a 61-64 Ford Galaxie but not for Edsel, would it be the same??? :confused: stuck here....any input would be appreciated.

P.s. have been calling these big name antique auto part reproduction places and they dont seem to know anything about interchangeability for ford and edsel, all I get is "sir, whats in the catalog is all we have" haha
    Im not hating on these places its just frustrating haha.[/QUOTE]

30. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Thanks for diggin up all the contact info man ill give em' a try.