Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1960 Edsel project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zomb-E, Oct 14, 2011.

1. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks good! Im watching this! :)

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Nice work! I was looking at buying one up here in Canada but the price was too high. They were definently the best looking Edsel produced. Im looking forward to your progress

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Wow! nice work. Kool project you've got going there. Can't wait to see it finished

4. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

We used just a standard gravity gun from harbor freight and also a detail gun for the small things. We used XIM: FLASH BOND 300 as primer, sprays on clear and allows for paint to stick to surface and also prevents rust. It works really well. The thing that sucks is that Flash Bond cannot be sold or shipped to california. I had to pull some strings to get a gallon of it.
    The Paint that we used is acrylic urethane jet black from TCP GLOBAL.
    The combination of XIM and acrylic urethane paint worked out perfect, nice smooth semi-glossy finish.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very cool. I've never seen a '60 two-door sedan. I'd be mighty tempted to build a Super Stock phantom/clone with a Police Interceptor 352 (or 390 disguised thereas).

-Dave

6. Really cool car. And people bitch 'cause they don't have a garage. Good work.

7. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Great progress, Zomb-E!
    I had forgotten about XIM, thanks for the reminder! Used it years ago and it worked great!
    Keep up the good work.

8. CGkidd

CGkidd

Very nice build can't wait to see more.

9. Zomb-e keep up the good work, that car will be real nice, and when you are sitting in it and turn the key that is the best feeling !

10. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Sunday's work, got the rear end and gas tank in, thanks to brendan, ron, dan, chuck and dave for the help today. The plan was to get the front end together as well but the work came to a halt when we found out the shop pressed in the control arm bushings backwards and of course auto shops are closed sundays so we were screwed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Man thats cool!

12. fxcomet

fxcomet

Enjoying the thread on this car. Nice work! Have a good friend who has a 2 door coupe version of this, similar to the Starliner. You're very fortunate in finding one with everything there as trim stuff is expensive.

13. That is an awesome car, love the way those look. Strangely familiar, but yet still different.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it on the road.

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

No lowering blocks for the rear end? Everything looks beautiful with new paint.

And who snuck that Mikes HL in there?

15. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Eventually Im going to lower it but right now we are just trying to get it driving before the rain comes!

haha it was 8am, I didnt want orange juice and it was too early for coors so Mikes it is.

16. that is what a Pabst-mosa is for!! jk looking really good so far, i cant wait to see it put together

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

18. jmh

jmh

Nice!! Keep going!! John

19. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

I recieved the wrong control arm bushings in a front end suspension kit I purchased. I'm trying to locate the correct bushings online right now. It has been raining the last couple of weekends so we have not been able to continue work since we dont have a garage to work in!!

20. any updates? or still rainy?

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very very impressive.
    The Edsel
    Your work
    And your work shop !!!
    I worked outside for years, so can appreciate your efforts..
    That is one awesome build, and very impressed with the detail are doing on all the parts....
    Yep, keep it posted in pictures, I really like the looks of this car!
    Cheers..

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

23. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Waaaaay cool!!!

24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man that is a pretty coool ride

25. Original57

Original57

Really enjoying this one. You're doing a great job! :)

26. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

It has been raining up here alot, and as you can tell we work outside. This next week and weekend look like its going to clear up so hopefully I can get some work done! thanks for all the feedback! ill keep you guys posted.

27. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

Got a friend with an edsel just like yours for sale. Low mile original driver. Has around 35,xxx actual miles on it. He put in new carpet, new exhausts, and radial tires. If you are looking for a really nice 2dr post car pm me for info.this thing is so solid and dependable , i'd drive it anywhere.

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Still waiting for an update? Love the car!!!

29. Mr. Edsel

Mr. Edsel

Hi Zomb - Congrats on finding an exceptionally clean '60. Most of the 60's from Nor Cal are dry, clean cars with unusually nice plating. I've handled two such cars recently from up there, VIN #'s 706 and 708, both nearly as clean as yours. The Maverick wheel covers look great - on a Maverick! Your car needs at least a set of Edsel wheel covers and four factory wide whites. Good luck with your restoration - it's gonna look super!