Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1959 Continental Convertible Barn find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malarkey_BS 13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

No apologies necessary A.D.D.!! I welcome any and all opinions, feelings ect...

I have gone to many as many sources that i can for information on this for the reason being ive seen VERY few (none in person) which i didnt know at the time if it was a good thing or bad thing... Some at an expense, some for free.. most waiting outside as a pull up! Most of the consensus has been the same as far as leaving it the way it is.

Ive done little things to make it more "drive-able" like i said with a new top and carpet and other small miscellaneous things... its really been a new experience for me because just like yourself im VERY hardheaded (polish/german) and am used to doing whatever the hell i feel like on my projects. It was very difficult wrapping my head around the idea of put it back the way you found it mentality. But luckily i like to make things original before "playing" with ideas so when finished and driving,little did i know at the time that i was done!

So once i found out what i had i immediately sought out all and any information as to become some kind of expert in my own mind about the car. I feel if your gonna love something like a car you should know as much as you can so when people ask you dont come off as one of those guys that bought the car just cuz it looked cool, which im sure we've all run into once or twice!

Being a younger fellow myself, ive been told i have an old soul, due to the fact of the knowledge and love for things before my time. And your father sounds like alot of the gentlemen that i find myself having conversations with all the time!! Alot of them walk to the front door ring the doorbell and im out having an hour or two conversation about "the good years" hahaha or in a gas station (which im at frequently at 4-6 mpg with this hog)... They are the worst and best critics when it comes to my cars and i always value what they have to say.

But currently im trying to get the car fingerprint verified for its originality so people dont think im full of it when talking about it..

Thanks for the compliments! And the Chevelle is just pure pedal to the floor type of fun, which im sure we can all get on board with.. it was the first classic i ever bought and i dont think i could ever sell it..

And the "Breezeway" Is heaven when it hits 100 degrees here with 80% humidity. I think every classic car should have one!! Haha just my opinion...

2. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Very cool! Sounds like the gentleman you got the car from knew what he was doing when he picked YOU as the next caretaker of the Lincoln.

I always have an assortment of cars from original pre war to modern stuff.
    I have an original paint '68 Chevelle coupe right now. Bought it on a whim, fun car! In fact I was just outside test fitting some vintage 5 spokes I picked up last night.....

Good luck with the Lincoln whatever direction it leads you in!

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:):confused::confused: Hello oh ! are you going to get some chicken wire or not ? :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

I'm still doin my research for the carson, and all the info you have shot my way has been more than helpful! i cannot thank you enough! There is a 53 buick that ive been eyeballin with some mild custom work already done to it, that would be perfect for a carson top! I may not pursue it for the Lincoln, but again if done right you wouldnt even know that it has that little accessory...

5. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Thank you! And you aswell! Not a bad decision pickin up that chevy! Im extremely jealous about those 5 spokes though... i still have the stock rally's that came on it they are in awesome shape though..

I wish i had more space to have a more assorted car collection, but unfortunately all the extra has been taken up, so i either have to sell one of my loves off or buy more space either way i think the lady will kill me hahaha...

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I will continue on my info quest of Carson tops , I'm going to post a couple pics of a pair of cars from the GNRS with Carson Tops , and I found an old thread of a 50s Chevy with a 50s Merc hood ,It never got finished but still id note worthy.......:D:cool:

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) :cool: What year and model Buick are you looking at?

Attached Files:

8. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

convert ? got a pic addy ?

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Ahh!:cool::D:eek:

Attached Files:

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

SK   DSC05541 copy[1].jpg hmm

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  12. riley58

riley58

that is one crazy looking dash !! love the front end,very cool 59

13. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

ok ok

Attached Files:

14. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Big deal. My neighbor had a Corboda with Corinthian leather.

15. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

WOW! That Lincoln is one heavenly car! I agree - keep it as stock / original as possible - and any mods - non permanent!

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm usually the last guy to tell someone to leave their car alone... but leave that one alone. It is highly desirable exactly as it is, and it's absolutely unique in the world. You might be shocked at how many Chevelle parts you can buy if you sell that car to the right buyer.

Just sayin...

Spectacular car man! Cheers.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean Malarkey wouldn't. V V V
    Don't have to have all the carbs operational, or even have the 6x2 on it all the time...maybe just for shows.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Beutiful car. I agree on maintaining it as is. But of course it is your car. However, from a styling point of view forget the carso top! Why? Because they look great on a car with roundish body lines. That '59 is any but. Now if you try to engineer a Carson Top II with more squareish lines to it you'd have something. Never detract in your attemp to attract!

19. froghawk

froghawk

This car is just too cool! Congrats on finally making the acquisition. I've always thought the tops on the ragtops like this one were amazing but have to admit that the Carson top idea is intriguing enough that I had to play around in Photoshop to see what it'd look like. Used the existing top header. I eliminated those weird fairings for the original top from the tulip panel and tried a version with a modified fender skirt.

Also did one with a little chop, which shouldn't be a huge problem since those big compound curve windshields are widely available at just about every Pep Boys, right? :D

Anyway, seeing these I'm not so sure it's such a fabulous idea. Though the chopped one looks better than stock height

Attached Files:

20. I normally do not care for big luxury cars but that is one fine looking automobile to me. So elegant, I would keep it stock. I don't think they paint parking spaces large enough for you to park it anywhere though so you might not be able to go many places with it...:D

21. Congrats on the awesome find!!

22. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

BEAUTIFUL!!!That looks right up my alley for a new project!! the one im eyeballin would take a little work to get it like that though....:eek:

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That large barge is magnificent. I hate you.

24. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Thats the ONLY way im feeling any mods would be, would be interesting to figure out a couple things i could do then undue at the end of the day..:confused::D

25. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

From the consensus ive been getting from the thread, not that im the first person to please others, it looks like keepin her stock and pretty is the way to go! Like i always say, "Everything is for sale, Just not on sale...". Plus if i was made an offer i couldnt refuse... Ive got a 53 Buick super ive been eyeballin, or ive been diggin the wagons which from the looks of it , your on board with! Haha P.S. Im jealous of your wagon...

26. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Aww come on now, im pretty nice once you get to know me, it has its downfalls,.. mainly having a place to keep it.. well... thats pretty it. i no longer have much of a driveway in the summer anymore...

27. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Thanks! Plus i didnt even know there was such thing as a Carson top II...! Now on the the internet searching...

28. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Thanks it took 5 years but it FIANLLY happened...

Im am generally impressed with the photoshop work, its pretty damn good for on the fly if i do say so! It does give me a really good idea of what it COULD look like IF i decided i just wanna be ballsy with her... I really like pretty much everything you did with it especially the fender skirts. I think i might pick up an extra set and bring em lower like you have in the rendering, that looks damn good to me plus i can always put the stock ones back on at the end of the day.

I also like the chop, but since my local pep boys is fresh out of compound curve windshields and windshield trim for 59 verts, a imaginative thought it will have to stay...:D

29. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Thanks! You mean to tell me that line in the middle of parking spaces isnt a guide to where the middle of the car should be??? Im sure ive pissed someone off by now...:D:):cool:

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Baah;) !a Carson Top 2 is an attempt to make a Carson top look like a convertible, Then we have a few more Carsons.:eek::cool::D ''Here's Johnny!!!!!!!!!''

Attached Files: