Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Nice truck and great work on the details. Door gaps look great, I will be sure to follow

2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! Haven't got much done lately....been too buisy with school and helping my dad get my mom's 72' suburban back on the road. I miss working on it!!!

3. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I have a spare rear bumper from my stepside if your interested....

4. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yes I would be interested in that, I'm going to be down there in march for goodguys so if you still had it then we could meet up somewhere. Is it in decent shape and how much?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. Is there anything you need? I found a 56 GMC locally that still has some good parts (including some of front stainless/chrome).

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Explain, in great detail, why these series trucks came with pontiac engines?

i would have expected chevy.

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yeah does it have the rims that go around the headlights still? And there's a piece that goes between the front bumper and the radiator, it's like a filler piece. The one I have is pretty bent up so maybe if that had one that was straight I may be interested in it. But the grille is definately something that is hard to find. So if its getting scrapped or something definately save that! Took me forever just to find that center bar for mine that wasn't all beat up! Maybe if it has a radio in it too, or a delete plate I may want that stuff also.

8. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I'm still trying to figure that out myself......found mine with a 283 in it though:D

9. Will take a look this weekend and let you know!

In regard to the different engines, I know that the Chevy's came with other GM engine because of a fire at one of the plants- could be why the GMC's had them too?

10. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Well, weren't they both built in the same plant?

i want to know why gmc's came with pontiacs and chevys came with chevys?

My theory is that GMC was/is for people who drove buick/olds/pontiac and gmc was/is BOP's truck line more or less, so they decided to use a pontiac engine to keep the class/prestige thing going.

11. robertsregal

robertsregal

You are doing a nice job on a classy lookin truck!!!

12. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thats could be because the GMCs did have alot more chrome and what not....

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  13. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

great job on all you've done. I will watch this thread and use it for how to's when I start with mine! :)

14. Kinky6

Kinky6

IIRC, the Poncho was a 347 CID when the Chevy got a 265/283. Not completely sure on the Pontiac displacement, or when the Chevy 348 W came out, but the point was that the GMC was supposed to be sturdier and more powerful of the two, so they got the larger engine.

The smart GMC customers just stuck w/ the 270 & 302 inlines, though! ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

Oh yeah, I've got a 270 out of a '57 GMC and I can't wait to get it rebuilt and into one of my projects. Stout mill!

16. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I was told the reason for the cross engine configs was due to a engine manufacturing plant fire which caused a shortage of engines.

17. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Hey love your truck and look forward to seeing all you're going to do to her!

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks for the compliments guys!

19. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Another thing that has been keeping me from working on my truck, besides school and my mom's 72' suburban....

Attached Files:

20. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

55 Hydra, been following your build and am impressed with you work. i'm fitting my door and know the trouble it is. hope mine come out as good as yours. gaps are very omportant to me, and yours look great.

21. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! The gaps were shit to begin with on these trucks...but with a little time they can be real nice! I had never messed with making the door gaps that nice before so it was definately a learning experience.

22. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

this whole build is a learning experience for me. I did fab at my shop. now i'm glad to have friends in the body business. they are pushing me in the right direction. I still have a LOT to learn.

23. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Didnt't do anything to the 55' today, but I did get the brake controller wired back up in my blue truck so I can tow trailers again! Then I had to throw the 55' on the trailer to see how blue towed it since I haven't towed anything since its been done.

Attached Files:

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sweet set of trucks dude !!!! Blue truck is super clean lookin, i dig it. If you had a 6bt/nv4500 in there i would kill to get that truck lol. Keep up the good work

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! Thats the 1st truck that I've done. This 55 is the second.

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Found a tailgate!

Attached Files:

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Found a front bumper, turned it upside down and I think I'm liking it!

Attached Files:

28. I always preferred the tri five GMC trucks over the Chevys of that time. I really like the unique-ness!

29. I just nabbed one of those tailgates in a junkyard because I figure they're not easy to find.

30. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

You've got that right!