Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1952 Dodge Pilothouse stakebed build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by samuel addison, Oct 20, 2012.

1. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

I have already posted picts when I introduced myself but thought I would start a thread on my build.

The truck is a 52 Dodge Pilothouse 1 ton stakebed. I bought it less then a month ago. Its very complete and in running order (somewhat) It has a 327 Chev motor mated to the original trans with overdrive. Not fast at all (60 max) but lots of fun.

As of late I have been just playing with painting the easy bits (the frame, wheels, engine bay etc..thank you eastwood paints), and polishing the body to see if i can get some sort of shine (but I want to keep the patina) Next week I need to replace the waterpump, give it a tuneup and bleed the brakes and clutch.

I'm also ripping out the bed and going to make a new, simple stakebed.

Not going for a rat rod look or a restoration, just a presentable fun daily driver that I can use for work once in a while (and fun as well)

Looking forward to sharing progress, all comments are welcome.

samuel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

3. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

I tackled the body with a cheap buffer and hey! it shines (a bit)

[​IMG]

4. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Lol! From the first pic, even before I saw the license plate, I knew this was in the Bay Area.

I have always liked those model Dodges, cool ride.

Welcome and hope to see you around the area,
    BDL

5. awesome truck, but then I lean towards these old trucks anyways. Keep us posted.

6. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

In a fit of pique, I pulled the waterpump (it was squealing like a stuck pig..it was very stiff and very sloppy). So I treated the old thing to new saprk plugs, filters, rad cap, overflow bottle, hoses and belts. Hopefully have it back together tomorrow..its all so simple and easy to access. I did have to pop the hood off to yank the stock rad. I also got a can of Chevy orange to pain the valve covers.

Plus parts are cheap!..new water pump was $30.00!

I plan to go with an electronic ingition, so I held off on the the cap a and rotor for now.

7. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

All back together, and she runs much better, I still need help with the timing and the dwell...but so far so good. I do think I need to treat myself to some snazzy finned valve covers!

Now back to the body, or I might start pulling the bed apart.

8. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

..ideally I would like to go with a late model Dodge Diesel plant and run bio, but for now the old vette motor will have to suffice..

9. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

I pulled the deck off and it all looks good, i'll squirt the chassis with some black and then I'll keep the inner timber and replace the outer.

Tires could be a costly issue, Can't afford "vintage" tires so i'll use modern day radials. I can't really put off the replacements as they are very old and have serious dry rot.

..The split rims could be an issue and i may have to go with tubes..with pose more problems of tearing inside the rims...time will tell.

any ideas are most welcome...!

10. 70chall440

70chall440

awesome truck. I have a 52 1/2 ton that I am going to put a 56 Desoto hemi into. I would love a flatbed, especially if I could have a car hauler.

11. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

Thanks ! I love uit, and I think it would be grand stick a fifties year desoto motor plant in it....but this is a budget job and I have still tires to deal with.

12. kep the painted valve covers, more trucky that way.

13. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

Ok the whole deck is off! and more rattlecan black. Time to take measurements and then off to the lumberyard.

14. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

Almost there! now the big question is: two side planks
    [​IMG]
    ..or just one?
    [​IMG]

So what do you all think?..i cannot seem to decide right now, imput welcome

please excuse the pictures..they were taken in haste,..typically of any old car it died half in and half out of the drive..discovered a fuel leak (I had filled the tank and now its bone dry with a stinky spot in the drive ...i have a very forgiving landlord) and a dead battery...so A charge and a fix is in order...and to finish up the sides..then paint/stain and seal. ..I'll be glad when the bed is done so I can go back to polishing the body.

15. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

..all the boys who are building a house next door say keep it to one plank, but looking at the picts, i'm thinking two..it looks more truck like and less pickup like..I think.

16. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

..or maybe I should just keep building and end up with something like this?

[​IMG]

17. Jen......

Jen......

i have a 1952 dodge 1 ton here with original stakebed for sale , dont have time for it anymore and hardly any room left here. yours does look very nice

Jen

18. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

In case anyone is wondering here is a basic breakdown of costs so far (The truck cost not included)

Engine bits (waterpump, plugs, hoses, fluids, etc) $200
    Wood: $260.00 Hardware (stake pockets, brakets and etc) $180 Misc materials (paint and etc) $60.00..not bad, but i'm on a budget (and who is not?) ..still ok in my book.

19. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

Ok the body is complete! (with just a few bits to tidy up) it was a bigger job than I realized, and more money Than I wanted to spend, and if I had to do it again I would change a few things..but I'm satisfied with the results..for the most part. I need to take a break from the truck and get to work for a week, but then its seal and paint. I think I'm going to paint the floor and posts black with the plank sides green matched to the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, In case you are wondering, the white knobs are for the quick latch disconnects so I can pull the sides quickly. The front (nearest the cab) is attached with brackets as I doubt I'll ever take that off. The sides have two handles so I can grab the gate easier..it works well!

The rear end has a fixed bottom plank to stake pockets with a top hinged dropgate so I can quickly put stuff inside. The floor planks have a big gaps so I plan to use strip wood or metal to cover..but i'm also thinking of laying heavy rope in place after painting...

I'm thinking a bout a canvas tarp roof as well, but thats later in the game.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  20. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

Oh, here's a thought, While mucking about in my collection I found this cute cast iron bee..thinking it would a be cool hood ornament....

..you can also see closer detail of the paint...it was all rust at one time..now there is some color..lets see if I can get it to shine.

21. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

Ok She's legal and insured and already in light use. I Got her to run again after she died in the driveway-turns out the fuel line was disconnected when I built the bed. I sorted out the wonky clutch by simply tightening a bolt (but I will have to re-bush it in the future)

I did lose my spare! the wire tether must have snapped and It must have popped out..and I was everywhere today..so its likely to be somewhere one of the many side streets I took (she's not really ready to venture on the freeway)

Still need to sort out the timing/dwell and carb adjust...and of course the hundred other bits i need to tend to, but need to finish a project and have to put her aside for a week or so.

still not bad for a month and a half of ownership!

as you can see in the pict below, she's a working girl now!

[​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

I prefer the 2 planks, makes it look more like a "real" truck! Nice work!!

23. I don't know how I missed this! It's great to know I'm not the only guy running a Chevy in a Dodge. It looks like your truck is running the stock radiator, any chance you could snap a photo of the bottom radiator hose for me. The one I came up with won't cut it.

Really digging the new flatbed too!

24. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Talk about functional ;) I can see it now, you will get guys yelling out, "Hey Buddy, i need something hauled ", (as Dodge does a massive burn out as he is yelling back at the guy) Samuel replies " Sorry, i only haul ass" :eek:

That is cool, thanks for sharing your truck.:D

25. ChefMike

ChefMike

good luck with her! shes looking good nice to see her working again

26. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

[​IMG]

Here you go! The hose was a pain, I tried using flex hose, but it simply would not hold the bend, so I eyeballed an pre-bent hose and the local parts shop and just cut it to fit. I have a doubting friend who says the fan does not cover the whole rad and it will overhead, but so far not an issue!

27. samuel addison

samuel addison
    from Bay Area

thanks for the comments guys! I have been running her around and she still need and few bits on the bed to sort out but she starts every time (sometimes it takes her own time) can't wait to get back to working on her (hope to squeeze in a few hours between the local rain)

28. That is a cool build!! please keep us posted. I agree with the two planks also looks Great!

29. oldbg

oldbg

Nice truck.............My dad had several of those in the 1950's hauling coal ...Got tired of the flathead six and put a 392 Hemi in it.....WOW , would it go then....

30. Luke4554

Luke4554

I say stagger it.. Bring the top one like 30 or 40% back the length of the bed from the cab. Would look slick