Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Sep 2, 2008.

1. BIGRUDDER

BIGRUDDER
    from SC

If you are interested I have a complete set of 1953 Buick 2 door side trim for sale.

2. Thanks for letting me know, I decided not to go with the Buick trim but I'm sure if you post in the the classifieds it should easily sell.

I've got this donor '49 hood on the way to my car, my friend Paul will round the corners like my current hood. Hopefully just a week or so from the entire car getting primered.

3. Update---
    PM from my painter buddy:
    Needless say I'm pretty psyched. I haven't been making a big deal about the time that's passed since Chicago is still in the middle of winter. But getting the car in primer is a big step forward.

Since I last posted, I commissioned Rik to photoshop some ideas he and I had for the car. I'm pretty much going with this rendering:

[​IMG]

I forgot that I was initially interested in flush fit front headlights, so now I am wanting to this as an option. I will see if I can source a set of appropriate bezels to make that happen. I have the '52 style ones on order from Nightprowlers but Gary is two weeks out on them right now.

In a different rendering Rik had included custom side trim, but I have been unable to find that trim anywhere.

I also bought a complete 1955 Desoto grille, thank you Kevin. So I will for sure do the grille change.

More updates to come.

4. Pro stock John, Please use a 51 rear window on your merc if it is a 51.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See?? There really was a beautifull Merc hiding in there. The photoshop version really isn't that far off from what you started with...there are no real radical changes, just the right color, grille, bumper..stuff like that makes a HUGE diffrence.

Hurry up and get it done. -Abone.

6. That will look great John. The only comment I would make is that it definitely needs some sort of trim. If nothing else the belt line trim to break up the black.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I'm really looking forward to updated pics of this car. This will be one of the best makeovers of an existing car. The McDonalds paint colors and 1980's-revival-of-the-1950's mods that were on the car just killed it.

If it turns out looking like that Photoshop the car will be a real knockout. I agree that some beltline trim would look nice, help break it up, but really you could add that later on down the road without much hassle.

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm not sure anyone could have put it any better. lol :D

With a little bit of help from the all-knowing on here, John has successfully turned one more. Nice work, I'm anxious!

9. Thanks for the comments guys, they are very inspiring. Jeff, the car still has a '51 rear window.

I agree about trim, but it's been so hard to source any side trim. I think I know someone who might sell me a spare set of the upper trim (goes under the windows).

Hey Jeff or anyone else rockin' a set of Sombreros, are yours chrome or stainless? I'm thinking chrome would look better.

10. What a fuckin difference John!!!!

Before...

[​IMG]

After...IT'S GONNA BE BADASS!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. Usually Sombreros are stainless. Don't think i've ever seen them chromed...
    If all esle fails,John. It's pretty hard to beat the stock trim...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  12. Squablow

Squablow

You know, really, the beltline trim wouldn't have to be the original pieces, any 1/2" wide stainless mouldings that taper to a point at one end would work to fill the area. If they're straight they couldn't extend down past the rear window like stock but you don't need them to. A few bucks at the junkyard and a tape measure would probably set you up with some trim you could use on your beltline, and it'll just be more "custom" since it came off of a different car. It's not hard to shorten a piece of stainless and give it a finished end.

Some '55 Dodge hardtop hood trims would probably work perfect and no one would even notice they weren't original Merc pieces if you did it right.

As for side trim, I've seen '55 Chevy pieces used on Mercs in the past (just the long straight pieces) and it looks really nice, there's a pic of an unchopped blue Merc with this trim on it floating around on the HAMB, looks great and that stuff you can buy brand new from the Tri-5 Chevy resto places, not even that pricey.

The car looks great in the photoshop as-is, just throwing some ideas out there to maybe break up the sides a bit. I'll see if I can find some example pics.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Holy shit, I think I just stumbled onto something awesome.

I have some '55 Dodge hood trim in my garage (I'm working on one right now) and I thought I'd go and check to see if the trim was indeed a workable replacement for the Merc beltline trim.

I took this pic just now, it's really dark outside but you get the idea. Stock beltline trim on my '51 coupe, and I'm holding up the '55 Dodge trim right below it.

[​IMG]

It's fucking IDENTICAL. Even the angle on the end where the windshield tips back is the same as the angle from the end of the Dodge hood. You would need a pair of trims from a '55 sedan hood for the doors, and a pair from a hardtop hood for the spear'd off pieces in back, but these are really easy to find. I watch eBay for '55 Dodge shit all the time and these never bring more than $20 for a cherry pair. I'll doublecheck tomorrow when it's light out but it looks EXACTLY the same to me.

And for the '55 trim I mentioned, here it is on Blown49's car, I like the look, it's period correct and the trim is easy to get in mint condition since you can buy it new.

[​IMG]

14. There ARE chrome sombrero's but I had to go with stainless.

15. Gonna look great Jon! That 55 desoto grille has always been one of my favorites. I see a fair amount of that belt line trim on eBay.....seems like there is always a set or two up for sale (there were at least two sets on the other day).

16. HMM,No kidding! I'll have to keep my eyes open for some.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Pro Stock John, if you make that photo-shopped version a reality, then you're a total ruler. Good for you for asking questions when you didn't know better. The way your car turned out before is what happens when people are too proud to ask. Good for you and I can't wait to see the end result.

18. Sauli

Sauli

19. Sauli

Sauli

I agree...That is quite an improvement...:) Good call keeping the original backlite, too. If it were mine, I´d see if I could find a little something shiny for around the windows, maybe. I hear Your difficulties finding the side trim though, did You track down and ask the guy who did the work on this car originally? He might have this stuff still laying around somewhere, You never know...(?)

20. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Yuppers, modified 52 end teeth with the park lights. It looks like they had some diligent triming to fit the Merc opening. Nice touch.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  22. The guy I bought it from is a dead end, he's I think got a small lot and resells so it's hard to say what was truth and what was fiction. I got the car from South Carolina.

Here is one thing that has been perplexing me. If you lookat Jeff's car, you can't see the wheels at all, the hubcaps cover them up. But when I look at other Mercs, I can see some of the wheel... Why is that?

I am going to go through with the photoshop though the only deviation I am considering is doing some flush-fit headlights like the Sam Barris Merc.

I have to admit that bubble skirts also have a strange power over me, I keep wanting them and don't know why. I keep thinking that some bubble skirts with some '53 Merc spears might look cool. I"m thinking of doing one set of factory style and one set of bubble skirts and putting them in primer and then deciding.

23. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

bubble skirts IMO only look good when the car is laying frame, driving around at ride height they just look goofy

24. " Laying frame " is for mini truck's.

25. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

my point exactly, so he shouldn't go with bubble skirts lol

26. I know man im just joking around!! LOL :D

27. Stay away from the buble skirts!!!! I cannot think of a single Merc that I would say looks good with bubble skirts.

Jeff you are on a rampage with the bags!!!:D:D:D

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Two mercs looked cool with bubble skirts.The yellow and brown one that Dick Dean built and Dick Baileys Alezander Bros built chopped 50 and yes...both of em were ground scrapers.

29. I know man :D I will shut up now!!!!!!!!!!! At least try to!!!!!!!:)

30. I personally wouldn't even agree with those. I'm not familiar with the Alexander Bros. car but I personally think the skirts on the Dick Dean car are the worst part of the car. They look like two big blobs on the back and that flush skirts would improve that car immensly.