Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 9, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Yeah so here is a status update on two tons o' love. I am halfway through amassing parts to do a carbed LS swap in the car. It will be a 5.3 LM7 with 4th gen 862 heads, TSP low lift 220/228/112 cam. Victor Jr. intake, and Holley 750 double pumper. I just need to buy 4-5 more items like the oil pan (Holley hot rod pan), flexplate, fuel pump, motor mounts and some exhaust manifolds. Trying to do swap in March. While at my buddy's shop I might have him rebuild the front suspension. After that I need to focus on interior and fixing a few paint issues.

Drewfus, koolkemp and drdave like this.
  2. Good to see this back to the top. Have you been having any fun and driving it while you collect parts?

3. Honestly I barely drove the Mercury last year, was just tired of the mechanical issues.

But I have almost all the motor swap parts in hand, so she will go under the knife soon. 2017 I will finish the car.

Drewfus likes this.
  4. Guys I traded my merc to a guy out by Rockford IL last summer, I think he's finishing. I'm building a 1100 HP '67 back half '67 Camaro now.

[​IMG]

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

He sold the car already

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Sorry to see it go John

7. Slopok

Slopok

That explains why I couldn't find you by the car at the Sycamore show last July.

8. 'Mo

'Mo

:eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

9. Thought I'd pop in. Car was last in Denver. I have been driving my '67 Camaro LS Turbo build.

K13 likes this.
  10. Hey John! Good to hear from you....been a while. So the question is, do you miss the Merc? :D

11. LOL well it was a cool car but too nice to drive in my area. So yes, if I had had the room I would have kept it.

drdave likes this.
  12. Pics I got of the car a few years ago.

Attached Files:

drdave and Squablow like this.
  13. one more

Attached Files:

drdave and Squablow like this.
  14. Hey John good to hear from you. Merc still looks good.

drdave and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  15. I'm glad someone is having fun with it out there somewhere. Nice to hear from you too!

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always loved that little car.

-Abone.

17. I wonder if I can get the admin to combine my old and new account, I was unable to retrieve the old one.

18. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see it out there getting used, it still looks really good. To have brought it to this condition from the original McDonalds paint job really did the car a great service.

drdave and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  19. patsurf

patsurf

sure starting to 'hudson-ize'! smooth...

20. Hey John! Good to see you pop up! Merc still looks great. Looks like it went to a good home. Did the new owner ever redo the interior?

21. merc d4.jpg Interior pic, this was a while ago, little more completed, but not in a traditional way...

22. Popped up in my FB memories, Jon Van B locally did a little work on the car, his Chevy was sweet:

merc joe.jpg

Squablow, guthriesmith and drdave like this.
  23. Yeah, a bench seat and some tuck and roll would complete your vision. :)

51 mercules likes this.
  24. Yeah the new console in the pic is definitely not going traditional. But happy someone out there is enjoying the car, I just wanted to return to the world of big hp. How is your car Dave?

drdave likes this.
  25. Ha...mine is seeming to go backwards. Rounded off the cam a year ago or so. Too many other things rolling lately to make any progress on it, although I do have the new motor on hand. Once I get all the other balls out of the air, I'll be getting back on the Merc. With the new engine going in I'm going to take the opportunity to sort out the only front end sheet metal (the hood blew open on the previous owner and pulled it and the fenders out of sorts) and get the engine compartment all in shape. Maybe have it back on the road in 8 or 10 years. Hahahaha! I do miss driving it that's for sure!

51 mercules likes this.
  26. The hood on the '51 flew up once on the highway, I'm amazed I very calmly slowed the car down and got onto the shoulder. The hinges were a bit messed up but everything else was okay. I subsequently had Joe van B locally add some hood pins on the underside of the hood plumbed downward.

drdave likes this.
  27. Got access to my original account!

drdave likes this.