Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Excellent!!! Now, where is the first road trip? :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Probably back to my house. :)

3. silent rick

silent rick

iron invasion in october would be a nice trip.

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

Cheaterama is this weekend. That would be a great break in trip

5. I totally wanted to run to Cheaterama this weekend but I already told my buddy I will help him run his outlaw drag radial at the MDRA race at Byron that same day. :(

I'm planning to run at Iron Invasion, will have the grill done for that as well as part of the interior.

Picking it up tonight can't wait. I think Joe needs to open up a little shop.

6. Drove her around 60 miles last night, I like. Converted my puller fan to a pusher just in case.

[​IMG]

Running at 180 on the highway and in very slow traffic on side streets I would see 195-200.

Next stop is a few more mechanical items, but I dropped the grille parts with Joe V to get it done for Iron Invasion.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. I wanted to organize some grille pics, want to get it done by Iron Invasion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. John it's going to be a huge addition to the look of your car when the grill gets done. Now lets talk hubcaps. :D

9. Okay I'll play... :)

I think traditional would be 1950 - 1955 Sombreros, as I'm going for a early 50's look.

But I'm very partial to these, which Rik I think feels are more late 40's. but the early SAm Barris Mercury pics the 'caps have a raised center section like that.

[​IMG]

10. For some reason (I'm not sure I have the same ones as pictured, and mine are not nice enough for me to use as is), I was not wowed when I put them on the car:

[​IMG]

11. What year are these?

[​IMG]

12. Those are '53 Cadillac. I agree the first ones you posted on your car don't seem to have the wow factor to them.

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

14. Thanks I re-browsed it.

I need another '51 Ford Grille center bar, the 2nd one I got has a huge dent in it. Anyone?

15. I think the sombreros look much better. I like the earlier ones (48-52) and the '53's you pictured above. I have a pair of each to run on my Merc....soon as I get some trim rings attached to the back of them, anyway.

I've never gotten the hype on the Lyons myself. To me, they are OK, but not near as pretty as the Cads. Of course, the Lyons are aftermarket sombrero-ish knock offs anyhow, so I guess you would expect that. ;)

So you gonna go with the Sam Barris grille or change it up a bit?

16. Only Lyons that grab me are these, are they 15's or 16's I wonder:

[​IMG]

Still planning to do the Sam Barris Grille, one of my '51 grille centers is way more beat up than I had planned. Also kicked around using this '55 Caddy center I have feels too thin what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. I second that....too thin.

18. phat rat

phat rat

19. '55 Caddy center bar for sale. :)

20. Father in law was in town, and we were looking at my garnish moldings. He's retired and took one home to experiment. Sanded the glue and down to the metal with 120 grit, then primed and some dings filled in with filler, sanded... 400. He found that Rustoleum Navy Blue is a nice match. His dad owned a body shop in Muskegon Michigan and my father in law likes to make furniture, so I let him have his way with one of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Looks good John! One of the first things I did with mine was repaint the crusty window garnishes and made a big difference. Seeing crusty stuff from the inside while you are driving it can really be a downer sometimes. ;)

I do not know what the grille in the green one was made from, but still looks like 50 or 51 Ford bars as a base to me. I'm surprised you have not had luck finding another 51 bar. I haven't looked recently, but when I picked mine up a few years ago, they were reasonably plentiful on eBay. Guess not now huh?

22. My friend was thinking Dodge or Chrysler parts in this floating grille?

23. phat rat

phat rat

John, which body shop here in Muskegon did you father-in-laws dad own?

24. Ade's Collision

Okay who has a 54-56 Dodge Pick Up truck, I need measurements off the bottom and top grill bars. :)

25. phat rat

phat rat

I know where Ade's is

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  26. The guy who owns Ade's now bought it from my father-in-law's brother.

27. Oh boy.. photoshop magic...

[​IMG]

28. Oh my.....I really, REALLY like that!